Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

I guess it's kinda like a sandbox. Except people usually don't have umbrellas and chairs and trees in sandboxes. And people don't usually tan in sandboxes either. In fact, the only thing it has in common with a sandbox is the sand. Which is something beaches have too. On the whole, I'd say this is more of a beach than sand. There is water. True you can't go in it. But who would go in Lake Ontario water anyway? When my friends and I went to Hanlan's a couple months back, we didn't go swimming. We stepped in the water once or twice, but hey you can do that in a splash pad.

Personally, I think this urban beach idea is pretty awesome.

I guess it's kinda like a sandbox. Except people usually don't have umbrellas and chairs and trees in sandboxes. And people don't usually tan in sandboxes either. In fact, the only thing it has in common with a sandbox is the sand. Which is something beaches have too. On the whole, I'd say this is more of a beach than sand. There is water. True you can't go in it. But who would go in Lake Ontario water anyway? When my friends and I went to Hanlan's a couple months back, we didn't go swimming. We stepped in the water once or twice, but hey you can do that in a splash pad.

Personally, I think this urban beach idea is pretty awesome.

Tons of people swim in Lake Ontario.
Guess you didn't hear about this: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/834620--are-you-afraid-of-the-lake-chill-out?bn=1

I meant Lake Ontario water in Toronto. If you go to Sandbanks then yeah the water is warm there. But the water is far too cold in Toronto.

And apparently you still did not read the link.
You said:
But who would go in Lake Ontario water anyway?
You didn't say anything about temperature being the reason why. I would think the temperature at Sandbanks is probably just about the same as any beach in Toronto.

yes, the lake temp is going to be quite consistent unless you go in really shallow stagnant areas... I swim in the lake several times a year at Port Dalhousie and it is usually in the low 70's (F). Perfect to cool off on a hot day.

Since I discovered that Sea Lamprey's are now found in Lake Ontario, no more swimming for me!

They have now laid sod over much of the South Sherbourne Common and put up the lights - unlike Sugar Beach these look like the final version. In general a great deal of tidying up is going on and they should certainly meet their Sept 24 opening day schedule - at least for the park part. The Official Invitation to the OPENING CEREMONY is at http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/sherbourne_common_evite_1.pdf

Last edited:
Looks like some more interesting lighting going into Sherbourne Common.

IMG_4199-2.jpg

From WT September Newsletter:

A 110-metre stretch of Lower Sherbourne Street will be closed to northbound car traffic between Queens Quay and Lake Shore Boulevard beginning this fall. A bicycle lane will remain in place for cyclists traveling northbound. Southbound car and bicycle traffic will not be impacted.

The closure is necessary to complete work on the north side of Sherbourne Common which will open to the public later this year. It is also the first step in the future alignment of Lower Sherbourne Street with Dockside Drive, a new street that will run along the edge of Sherbourne Common in front of the new George Brown College Waterfront Campus. This future realignment will help to improve the area’s road network.

I can't believe Sherbourne Commons is opening this Friday. I was just there and the pavilion isn't even finished. The waterfront pathway wasn't even started. There were still mounds of dirt, near the water. It didn't look like it was even close to opening. I hope the water feature/canal is in working order or what's the point? This park is all about the water.

I can't believe Sherbourne Commons is opening this Friday. I was just there and the pavilion isn't even finished. The waterfront pathway wasn't even started. There were still mounds of dirt, near the water. It didn't look like it was even close to opening. I hope the water feature/canal is in working order or what's the point? This park is all about the water.

Yesterday afternoon they were running water in the channel so they are trying. I agree that the interior of the pavillion will not be done but the exterior is almost complete and seems to be moving ahead very fast. Surely it's better to open what they can now, the section nearest Queen's Quay is certainly "finished" and it looks to me as though the waterfront promenade from the Corus Building to Sherbourne Common will also be open.

Back