Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

Probably a group of future Pier 27 owners will advocate that Redpath move. However it would not amount to anything since Redpath has been located here for a long time, provides employment, and operates within MOE regulations (I'm assuming). Ultimately Redpath may decide to relocate in the long-term.

I don't know what benefit there would be to RedPath moving. The presence of the refinery doesn't negatively impact the beach experience. It's not excessively noisy nor does it seem to generate foul-smelling fumes or whatever.

I don't know what benefit there would be to RedPath moving. The presence of the refinery doesn't negatively impact the beach experience. It's not excessively noisy nor does it seem to generate foul-smelling fumes or whatever.

Foul smelling fumes? I guess that depends on what you consider foul smelling, but I think it stinks pretty bad haha. It also creates a lot of sugar dust I believe. Still though, I wouldn't want to see it leave.

mmmmmmm..."sugar dust"

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

The beach looks awesome but my question is will we still see a group of people in the future advocate to have RedPath moved?

Well, suppose that Redpath closes and the plant is left to moulder and rot. In due time, well...think of the Canada Malting experience...

Let's hope our recent experience with creatively adapting disused former industrial sites like Gooderham and Worts, and the intense attention on all things lakeside, doesn't allow that to happen. The groups of red brick Victorian commercial buildings that are being cleaned up here and there - incorporated into developments such as the Five condo for instance - show that there are treasures hidden in plain view all over the place if we can think differently about what exists.

I spent several hours on Sugar Beach Friday night and I have to say I was quite impressed. It's one of those nice little gems all cities should have; a great spot to just sit back and unwind.

I liked HTO too. My only complaint when looking at both of them is that they're a little too similar.

well it clearly makes sense to have a consistent theme tying the waterfront together... these little 'beaches', the wavedecks, the boardwalks etc. And I agree that Sugar Beach appears to be an improvement on what was started with HTO. I really like the fact of the different coloured umbrellas. So far so good with lots more to look forward to...

I finally visited Sugar Beach this afternoon, and even in its incomplete state it is both utterly charming and heavily used. I am hugely impressed at how much thought and creativity went into the design and execution of the park. It feels a little odd at present, both because of all the construction there (which presumably will be finished by August), and because it is a little isolated at present (which presumably will be rectified with more long-term development). Over all, this is a brilliant addition to the waterfront, a real gem.

well it clearly makes sense to have a consistent theme tying the waterfront together... these little 'beaches', the wavedecks, the boardwalks etc. And I agree that Sugar Beach appears to be an improvement on what was started with HTO. I really like the fact of the different coloured umbrellas. So far so good with lots more to look forward to...

And it will have that water feature to cool off in. (which H2O doesn't)

I don't know for sure - but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Sugar Beach has a budget that is larger than BOTH sides of HtO. If anything, the problem with the latter is the materials - concrete, in particular. Not something that can't be rectified with money though.

AoD

Back