Toronto Seventy5 Portland | ?m | 11s | Freed | Core Architects

Does anyone realize the paint used is epoxy paint, it's made for concrete painting and for heat and cold resistance, weather resistance and prolongs wear and tear. It's the paint used on concrete in a garage, therefore, the fear of this being a problem to maintain was already taken into consideration.

I don't doubt it's one of the best paints available but with all the pollution and wide range of weather in this city I'm thinking it won't hold up that well. The colour is white after all.

Does anyone realize the paint used is epoxy paint, it's made for concrete painting and for heat and cold resistance, weather resistance and prolongs wear and tear. It's the paint used on concrete in a garage, therefore, the fear of this being a problem to maintain was already taken into consideration.

I saw the application of an acrylic paint, see my earlier post.
Nonetheless, give this building 3 or 4 years and the white will be gray stained mixed in with various other stained colours from City living.

Paint they use in a mechanics garage or dealers service center. Some fumes from the City doesn't have anything on that. The paint will be fine people. Stop hating.

I don't know about "hating", but it looked like a giant piece of Ikea furniture when I saw it fully painted for the first time today...

Maybe I do like raw, unpainted concrete.

Give it some time.

Dust and dirt from the many local construction sites, combined with the wind and some rain, will soon restore the raw concrete colour at the very least.

This looks ridiculous. The unfinished, unpainted exterior of 75 Portland was one of the best things to happen to this city and could have moved the infamous 'Toronto Style' to waters untested for decades. The street-level columns at Murano also reinforce this ideal, but it was the raw power of 75's boxy forms set in an equally raw material that made this building something special. The 'imperfected' exterior spoke louder and more forcefully than almost any other recently completed building as it broke from the norm and did something new while still drawing reference from Toronto's concrete heritage. That the developer saw this as something to be covered up and hidden, rather than brought out and celebrated shows how much maturity we've lost.

Why...

I'm truly puzzled by some who think the exposed, raw concrete looks not only better but is stunning. I thought the raw exposed concrete looked what it looks like: unfinished and ugly. The white paint cleans this up and makes it easier on the eyes....

This looks ridiculous. The unfinished, unpainted exterior of 75 Portland was one of the best things to happen to this city and could have moved the infamous 'Toronto Style' to waters untested for decades. The street-level columns at Murano also reinforce this ideal, but it was the raw power of 75's boxy forms set in an equally raw material that made this building something special. The 'imperfected' exterior spoke louder and more forcefully than almost any other recently completed building as it broke from the norm and did something new while still drawing reference from Toronto's concrete heritage.

That's one way to go I suppose... I'm just not too sure that unfinished concrete is part of Toronto's 'heritage'.

disappointment

I must say that even the low quality concrete finish was better than this white "finish." it seems to me that the design of that building never meant to have this ridiculous white exterior. either way, it is a failure. but i think the current solution is the worst. and i have to look at it from my windows everyday!

Back