Toronto Scotiabank Arena Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | BBB

One Air Canada roof logo gone, one still being erased. They are using some type of flexible membrane that comes in rolls, and almost matches the membrane that's presently on the roof.

Just out of interest, usually early every morning some sprinklers are activated which wash the roof from sand and debris. The water runs into the channels on the north and south sides of the building. I suppose it's just regular maintenance, but it explains why the roof always looks clean.

IMG_0723.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 5,198
Considering Scotiabank's signage application didn't include anything for the roof, I wonder if a replacement of the roof is being planned?

almost matches the membrane that's presently on the roof.

View attachment 148945

Almost, indeed. I don't see why they couldn't completely match it. It's a pretty obvious cover up as it is.

I think they should've left these if they don't intent to put the Scotia 'S' up there. Having the maple leaf there comes off more about the venue being Canadian and less of an Air Canada logo to me.

I think they should've left these if they don't intent to put the Scotia 'S' up there. Having the maple leaf there comes off more about the venue being Canadian and less of an Air Canada logo to me.

It doesn't read as the Maple Leaf but as the Air Canada logo. Besides, it's my understanding that the roof will be painted black. It looks terrible the way it is.

Almost, indeed. I don't see why they couldn't completely match it. It's a pretty obvious cover up as it is.

Pretty hard to get a new membrane that's the exact colour of one that has been subject to the natural elements for the past 15/20 years

Considering Scotiabank's signage application didn't include anything for the roof, I wonder if a replacement of the roof is being planned?
MLSE should really be looking into it, considering the amount of times they've had to to structural reinforcements to it in order to accommodate scoreboard upgrades that have been done throughout the years. That and the fact that there has been leakages from the roof dripping down to the court level during a couple of Raptors games.

Green roofs are expensive. Now, what financial gain would MLSE have by doing this? considering very few actually get to see the roof.

Green roofs are expensive. Now, what financial gain would MLSE have by doing this? considering very few actually get to see the roof.

The arena would have better noise isolation/leakage, become a more eye-catching venue, and significantly lower heating and cooling costs. I don’t think it’s cost prohibitive considering Minnesota and Brooklyn have done it, with Minny being a retrofit too.

The arena would have better noise isolation/leakage, become a more eye-catching venue, and significantly lower heating and cooling costs. I don’t think it’s cost prohibitive considering Minnesota and Brooklyn have done it, with Minny being a retrofit too.
Sedum is a very low maintenance plant commonly found on green roofs, including on Eglinton West station.

Roof is big enough that they could probably get away with doing the whole ScotiaBank logo in sedum mats, using little capital, and it would look phenomenal. Illuminate it with some red LED lighting and day or night the thing would drawn-in the camera lens. Also gives the impression that the company is "green".

Scotiabank Arena lettering is now going up on the East and South stone facades. Will get pictures later. The typeface looks quite pleasing.

Back