Toronto Scarborough Civic Centre Library | ?m | 1s | TPL | LGA Architectural

^ The libraries are quite busy, I agree. I was referring to the the money and staff to run the facilities.

You are right in that more resources can be allocated to support a central library, to meet demand. But hypothetically as of right now, I just question if TPL have enough resources to build and operate a central library when there are other local and district branches also in close proximity, that also needs resources to operate.

update..

I would like to give a quick update from a member of the library board I was communicating with. I originally wrote because previous posts stated the library would be a small branch at just 1400 sq.feet. But on the contrary, this is what is being proposed at the moment

"What we are planning here is a large state of the art neighbourhood library (15,000 sq ft). Among the features will be wireless Internet access, outlets for laptop users, public internet computers, a collection of 50,000 circulating materials, lounges for adults, teens, and children, an interactive kids centre to help very young children develop pre-literacy skills, bookable meeting space, outdoor reading garden, and a green roof. We are working with the City Planning department to make sure that the designs augment and enhance their vision for the future development of this precinct, with strong north-south connections from Borough Drive to Albert Campbell Square."

** Public Consultation Wed, Feb 17 at 7 pm in committee rooms 1 and 2 at the Civic Centre

^ That's great news. Thanks for the update.

15,000 sq. ft will be huge for a neighbourhood branch. Also, I wonder how they will design the site plan to provide for that north-south access. This access may open up Albert Campbell Square to the south.

Uh, 15,000 square feet is pretty tiny for a new library in a place like STC - and we've always known that, because 1,400 square metres is what has always been proposed. Don't be fooled by the press release, which promises a few shoebox-sized zones. 1400 sq.m guarantees that there will be very few tables/chairs or reading/lounging spots or computers...there just isn't room. A collection size of 50,000 is also very lame and ensures it won't be of much use to the absolute hordes of students that pass through STC every day. And there's kind of a big difference between square metres and square feet, new_eastyork.

For comparison, North York Central is 170,000 square feet, a full eleven times larger, and at busy times virtually every seat in the entire library is occupied. Something that size may not be needed at STC unless several special collections are gathered together but, still, having something 1/11th the size at a major and growing hub is quite silly and very shortsighted.

I agree. The size of the proposed library is too small for the neighbourhood. The city centre deservedly needs a "district sized" library at the very least.
Just to let eveyone know...there's another public consultation meeting scheduled for
Thursday June 17, 2010
7:00 PM
Scarborough Civic Centre
Committee Rooms #1 & #2
The architect firms of Phillip H. Carter & Levitt Goodman will be represented.

Scarborough City Centre Library Branch - March 23

Here is a current under construction picture of the City Centre Library Branch.

13366953193_85fa45fed3.jpg
[/url] P3230075 by mkt74, on Flickr[/IMG]

I drove by this couple of days ago. I thought it was some out door patio space of some kind. I'm glad the area is getting a new library. From what I was told couple of years ago, the Agincourt branch (Kennedy and Sheppard) was the busiest in all of TO. Hopefully this new branch would relieve some pressure, but I agree with the above comments that it should have been bigger to be a community landmark for Scarborough Center.

This building, and I'm predicting a 2016 OAA Award for it, and likely several more… is opening on Wednesday. We have a front page story here.

Back