Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Now Ryerson is planning completion for winter 2012. Didn't they promise to finish this in spring 2011 to meet the (previously tight but now extended) stimulus deadline? Now it's going to take more than double as long as that. It seems like they doctored their timelines to qualify for the money.

It looks like the brick walls are coming down on the south/east corner of the building. From the rendering, that is where the main entrance will be.

From this old postcard, that corner of Maple Leaf Gardens was originally open to the street - it was a United Cigar store. The opening of the streetface is my favorite part of this project - no more blank walls, and as already discussed, no more fieldstone!

And for the folks all bothered by the alterations and desecrations of a hockey holy place, here's an image from the archives...the captions says he's cheering, but he sure looks ANGRY.

Attachments

• Postcard.jpg
    Postcard.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 709
  • Man Cheering.jpg
    Man Cheering.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 307
We should just be happy that the building itself remains a holy of holies, even with the grocery store.

We could have ended up with the blasphemy that happened in Montreal... The Forum itself does not exist anymore in any way, shape or form.

I know the truth. If you don't like it, believe whatever fairytale PR bs you want..

Saving a face, or sections of it, doesn't mean it wasen't demolished.

It looks like the brick walls are coming down on the south/east corner of the building. From the rendering, that is where the main entrance will be.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The new windows look great

Gotta love when someone posts a picture proving it wasn't demolished but the other person still insists it was, despite the visual evidence to the contrary.

Gotta love when someone posts a picture proving it wasn't demolished but the other person still insists it was, despite the visual evidence to the contrary.

Or, perhaps, making way way too big a todoo about it. Just like, a couple of long blocks westward, the old McLaughlin Buick building was demolished. Sure, you can say that they resurrected the facade upon Burano; but still, it was demolished. Demolished. Demolished.

That's nevernamed for you.

Ya thats nevernamed for you. RIGHT. I'm right, you're wrong.

I know more about this place, and what has gone on inside of it the last 10 years than any of you..

I guarantee that, and I guarantee I spent more time in there in the last 5 years than any of you did in your lifetime.

So you take their PR crap, and be happy with it, and I'll take the truth and all the false promises they made, and remember what they did to an iconic building..

Back