Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

nice vid from you tube on mlg

[video=youtube;Z0xb6NLyCog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xb6NLyCog[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
...that happens to be a National Historic site with an art deco exterior which is being sensitively cleaned and restored for future generations to enjoy.

Perhaps you'd rather see it demolished and a parking lot in it's place, or one of these dreadful proposals? (images originally posted by wyliepoon)

3683623670_fd9d3fdb94_o.jpg

Personally I think this proposal would have helped Toronto spread out its CONDOS in the downtown core... We are building about 75% of our condos between Front and the Lake and the other 25% is spread out till Bloor. There are areas of Downtown that could use a boost of redevelopment. AURA will help this area but if they had build or IF in the future they build 3 towers over MLG it would be a significant boost to the area...

There has already been a ton of development around the Yonge & College/Carlton area, including Radio City, the Met & Encore, RoCP 1 & 2, Murano and Lumiere. Plus Burano and, or course Aura, are now under construction, and it looks like a condo will be sprouting up just south of MLG on Church. There are plenty of empty lots left too, so there's no need to ruin MLG just for a couple of point towers.

In this case, the worth of the building is more cultural/sentimental than architectural - the building is an example of Art Deco handled badly (in a ham-fisted manner). Of course it is still worth preserving.

AoD

That's opinion. Many people think it's a very nice art deco. I think for its size, the building is remarkably sleek.

Just to do a little flashback to the "concerned security guard" who was posting in this thread awhile ago saying how they don't like photos being taken because it's a pedestrian safety issue-- the last few times I've walked past MLG since he posted here, yet again, each time the security guards just looked at me, offering no signal to me whether I needed to stop or not. Each time I have sort of stopped, to make sure I don't get driven over by a dump truck. But the guys I've seen are hardly in control of the situation, or giving much regard to "pedestrian safety".

thanks for posting the great pictures ! I live out in BC Canada and its so hard to find pictures on the reno's. Im NOT a leafs fan BUT a huge fan of the building. I have 2 great seats from there, gold and green. Does anybody know if they are going to be selling off the remaining seats ? Either throught loblaws or ryerson

Workers are doing a lot of work on the roof now. Scaffolding is all gone from the east side of the building and there's some work going on in the front. The doors are closed all the time now so interior pictures aren't possible unless someone can sneak in.

mlgd17.jpg

thanks for posting the great pictures ! I live out in BC Canada and its so hard to find pictures on the reno's. Im NOT a leafs fan BUT a huge fan of the building. I have 2 great seats from there, gold and green. Does anybody know if they are going to be selling off the remaining seats ? Either throught loblaws or ryerson

i'd love one of those seats :D

Something is going on with the roof. A closeup shot reveals that it looks like the skin is being removed, presumably for resurfacing. From yesterday and today.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Last edited:
Looks to me like they might be adding the black layer instead of removing the white. Could be for better insulation or waterproofing.

Anyone get a closer look?

They are not making the roof black. According to renderings it is going to be white, and still have the blue maple leaves.

I dug out my binoculars today and it looks like they are laying tar strips or something over top of the existing roof surface. Presumably it is in need of repair, what they do after this is anyone's guess.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I can't recall what they have publicly announced (if anything)....

But a reliable source tells me...............the target date for store opening is May 2011.

Back