Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Even though there are signs saying it's going to be a Real Canadian Superstore, it's happened before where it turned out to be just a big Loblaws (which really isn't that different). I can think of the location in Gloucester Mall as an example.

They should make Maple Leaf Gardens the new Hockey Hall of Fame, to allow their building to be used as a photography museum as previously considered.

That's exactly what I've always advocated. The building might be a bit roomy for the HHOF, but if they kept an arena in there, if only for free skates and children's hockey, that shouldn't be a problem.

Good idea. I'm sure a more appropriate use can be found for the former bank building at BCE Place where it is presently housed.

I don't see why something closer to the scale of the Baseball Hall of Fame can't be done with MLG. Cooperstown has a small stadium - MLG would be perfect for legends games, kids games (won't people still pay a decent sum to play on that ice?), induction galas, etc. I'm sure they could fill any space they're given, both with HOF/museum stuff and with crowds.

Nice to dream but with maintenance, taxes, operating costs & such - to speak nothing of renovations, accessibility issues & the purchase of the property, has to be cost prohibitive.

I'm sure the rent at BCE Place is pretty high, and the old Bank of Montreal building may have maintenance issues of its own. I'm sure that BCE Place could get plenty of money for that space as a mega-restaurant or something, not that I would want to see that happen.

Can you imagine the fundraising campaign the HHOF could attempt with an expansion project coupled with a restoration of Maple Leaf Gardens? There are a lot of well-off hockey fans in this city, as well as corporations which would like to link themselves to Toronto's hockey heritage.

If MLSE had been smart, they could have donated MLG to the HHOF (acronyms!) with a non-compete clause on any remaining arena, and gotten a huge tax write-off and public goodwill. I'm sure they would've had more from the write-off than what they got from Loblaws.

I think MLG would make a good venue for a kind of high tech/ innovation industry mall. A public/private sector venture that would house innovative small business ventures. Sort of the same model that's being used for the Mars research facility but geared to new technologies rather than biotechs. The interior space could be reconfigered to accomodate numerous multi level lofts and the center area could remain open for exhibitions and conferences. The building has enough caché to be an instant magnate for tenants and a lot of speculative interest.

The building has enough caché to be an instant magnate

How would its hidden attributes (and pray tell, what attributes are hidden) that would make it a wealthy and influential person?

Albeit as an immigrant who know little of hockey, but I don't see why continuing hockey at MLG is so important. Whenever I pass the area, I'm always struck by the depressed look of the neighbourhood. Let's get a high end grocery store in there, with additional walk-up retailers and perhaps some office space for rent. Seems like a real win for the area, whereas any minor league hockey players will likely come from outside the area, and bring few fans.

re: HHOF

I think that the HHOF should move out of its current location. The Bank of Montreal building is a very recognizable building, but unfortunately the entrance to the HHOF is not through that building but down in the PATH level, where the entrance looks like any storefront in a shopping mall. That arrangement doesn't really give the HHOF much visibility, and those recent TV commercials with octopus-throwing and pucks-in-the-face aren't helping much. I consider myself a less-than-average hockey fan, but I've never been to the HHOF (I passed by it many times, and whenever I did I checked out their gift shop).

It doesn't really matter to me whether HHOF should go in MLG or not. It needs a home that catches the eye and where the entrance is not located in a shopping mall. Another idea for HHOF might be to get Frank Gehry, that hockey-playing star architect, to design a whole new building.

re: jozl's idea

I think it works. A development like that would benefit Ryerson in the same way that Mars would benefit U of T. Perhaps Ryerson could be a partner in such a project and receive some classroom and/or lab space. That way Ryerson might not have to build Business Building ver. 2.0.

It would be nice if MLG's roof is replaced with a glass dome, just like the Reichstag in Berlin...

reichstag.jpg

Ooops, good catch andreapalladio. I meant magnet not magnate. I'ma lika da vowels too mucha.

Whatever happens, I really don't want to see the building turned into a loblaws, its unnessescary and is a waste of potential for the building.

Here's the latest about Loblaws' Maple Leaf Gardens store: Not much, but it is their press release:

-------------

Transmitted by CNW Group on : November 10, 2006 09:52

Loblaw Companies Limited Wishes Maple Leaf Gardens a Happy 75th Anniversary

Community consultations underway in planning the future site of flagship store

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp TORONTO, Nov. 10 /CNW/ - Loblaw Companies Limited (Loblaw) is honoured to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Maple Leaf Gardens, an icon of Canadian history in downtown Toronto. This month marks the official anniversary of the gala opening of Maple Leaf Gardens, on November 12, 1931 with the first game played between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Chicago Blackhawks. Loblaw purchased the Gardens in 2004 and plans are underway to create a flagship grocery store.

"For more than seven decades Maple Leaf Gardens was at the heart of civic life in Toronto. The Gardens reflected the images and events of an important era in the civic history of Toronto", said David Crombie, former Mayor of Toronto and currently President and CEO of the Canadian Urban Institute.

"Through design and heritage interpretation, Loblaw is working with the community to ensure that the architectural and construction elements of Maple Leaf Gardens will be preserved and enhanced and the story of Maple Leaf Gardens will be told in downtown Toronto."

Loblaw Companies Limited is Canada's largest food distributor and a leading provider of general merchandise products, drugstore and financial products and services. Loblaw is also one of the largest private sector employers in Canada, with over 134,000 full-time and part-time employees executing its business strategy in more than 1,000 corporate and franchised stores from coast to coast.

Back