Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Actually, it does not sound like its going ahead (unless it gets funds....and that may be difficult).

Actually, it does not sound like its going ahead (unless it gets funds....and that may be difficult).

Doesn't sound that hard... we just need to play with this guy:

"Meantime, Energy and Infrastructure Minister George Smitherman told reporters Thursday morning after a speech to a construction conference that "whenever I hear of any plan to bring life to that very fanstastic building, I get excited. And I'm keeping my eyes open to see what further plans might emerge there."

When asked if the province would be willing to kick in money, he said he would not rule it out, saying"there's a lot of work that needs to happen before that would be possible."

"It's one of the most iconic buildings in the city," said Smitherman, who doesn't live far from the Gardens. "But as far as I know yet, we haven't had any specific funding request."

You might well get federal dollars if this could still be slid in under "stimulus" funding, otherwise, a certain hockey fan who lives on Sussex Drive might be able to point toward another federal program where it could be made to fit. Where ther's a (political) will, there's a way.

As for restrictions imposed on the property by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, their intention (quite understandably) was that it not become a competitor to their spiffy new sports and entertainment venue. They don't want pro or semi-pro sports in the place, or high-profile concerts. I can't believe they would stand in the way of Ryerson. They are too politically smart to do that, regardless of how you might parse wording in some legal document. I can't see that being an obstacle.

The "Maple Leaf Gardens 75th Anniversary" banners that were put up by Loblaws to celebrate the building's 3/4 century mark in 2006 have finally been taken down and replaced.
Its great to see the old girl being used and back on my TV screen.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Good news, lets hope that this plan materializes ...:)

New life for Gardens
Ryerson, Loblaws plan to renovate hockey shrine and reopen it

And it may happen sooner than you think.

In fact, Sheldon Levy told the Sun yesterday that work could begin before the end of the year on the massive renovation project worked out between Loblaws and Ryerson.

If all goes well, the people of Toronto will be skating at Maple Leaf Gardens in 2011," Levy says.

More...............http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/joe_warmington/2009/10/30/11575841-sun.html

Let's just put it all here, in case it gets unlinked:

New life for Gardens
Ryerson, Loblaws plan to renovate hockey shrine and reopen it
By JOE WARMINGTON
Last Updated: 30th October 2009, 5:23am

"You will be able to score in the net Turk Broda once tended"

-- Ryerson's Sheldon Levy

If the president of Ryerson University gets his way, the next goal scored at Maple Leaf Gardens will come off the stick of a Ryerson Ram.

And it may happen sooner than you think.

In fact, Sheldon Levy told the Sun yesterday that work could begin before the end of the year on the massive renovation project worked out between Loblaws and Ryerson.

"We are ready to start as soon as CBC's Battle of the Blades has moved out," Levy says. "The work could begin in December."

The plan is for the historic Gardens to be renovated to hold a modern Loblaws grocery store on the main floor, with parking installed below; Ryerson would take the top two floors, which would include a hockey arena, a gymnasium and a recreation centre.

"If all goes well, the people of Toronto will be skating at Maple Leaf Gardens in 2011," Levy says.

And, perhaps, bagging some groceries, too.

Stop the presses! Could it be that the house than Conn Smythe built in 1931, which has been closed and gathering dust for most of the 10 years since the Maple Leafs moved to the Air Canada Centre, could have a renaissance?

"We have the plans and are ready to go," Levy says of a $60-million commitment for the Ryerson part of it.

"We are just waiting for the final 'yes' from the federal government ... we have put a lot of hours on this. We didn't spend all of this time because we are not serious. We are serious."

So serious that "our students voted in a referendum in favour of adding to their tuition costs to help pay for it."

That will raise $20 million.

"Galen Weston Jr. has agreed to help us raise another $20 million in the private sector and the third $20 million is in an application for funding from the federal government."

Levy says if they get the go-ahead from the transport, infrastructure and communities ministry, the Gardens will not only have a storied past but also an exciting future.

No one from Loblaws, the prime minister's office or John Baird, the minister responsible, returned calls to the Sun. But Levy says the dealings with all have been positive.

Weston "is amazing," he says, and has a keen interest in the Gardens project and what it could mean to the university and to the community.

Of the feds, "we haven't heard back yet" but "we expect to in the weeks ahead."

We all know what a hockey fan Prime Minister Stephen Harper is and Levy believes it will be looked upon favourably since it's the "perfect" marriage between the "corporate sector and public sector" to create something special.

As someone who has been pushing for years for something special to be done with the Gardens, this Ryerson/Loblaws project seems too good to screw up. It has to happen.

The Gardens -- the centre of so much in this town for almost 80 years -- deserves it. And do does the city.

SURELY IT'S AVAILABLE

In a country where there is taxpayers' money for consultants and political boondoggles, political travel and partying, don't tell me there's not $20 million somewhere for a project to save and actually enhance arguably Toronto's most famous building.

"It's almost like a shrine," says Councillor Case Ootes, who says he is one member of city council who will get behind this Loblaws/Ryerson project.

"It's almost 80 years old and it hasn't been taken care of like a shrine and it should be."

He is right. So much has happened at 60 Carlton. Stanley Cups, The Beatles, Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley. Political rallies and religious crusades. You name it and it has appeared at Maple Leaf gardens.

Ootes' first time in there was in the 1960s to see Tommy Douglas speak: "Fantastic. He was such a great orator."

Levy's first trip there was as an 11-year-old in the 1960s for a Maple Leaf game where he remembers seeing Red Kelly, Bobby Baun and Dave Keon play.

"I don't care who you are, you don't go in that building without feeling a chill up your spine," he says, adding "it will be the same rink" on the third floor and "you will be able to see the gondola."

It's sad that this piece of Toronto history has sat idle, boarded up and abandoned for 10 years as Loblaws has tried to sort out a viable plan for it during a recession.

NEW BLOOD

Meanwhile, there have been movies shot in there, concert rehearsals and this past two months it has been host to the popular CBC reality show Battle of the Blades, which is responsible for polishing it up and pumping new blood and oxygen into its arteries.

My vision for a revitalized and renovated Gardens is for it to be a community centre -- one where Torontonians can go, whether it's for groceries, movies and a cup of coffee or for recreation, perhaps for the Hockey Hall of Fame or even a Toronto museum.

It's too important a structure in this city's history to sit there rotting. I can envision letting families come in and turn it into a giant playground for the winter or a place for high schools to come to play and train or seniors to work out. Anything is better than letting it crumble.

"Yes, yes and yes," Levy says to the community being able to use it and all ideas to enhance the good ones they have already come up with. "We are already thinking about summer camps and other ideas. We want it to be used 24/7 as much as possible."

Levy says as far as he is concerned, only $20 million in federal funding is all that it will take for that to happen.

JOE.WARMINGTON@SUNMEDIA.CA

It's so exciting to see the Gardens resurrected with Battle of the Blades, and now news that Ryerson and Loblaws are $20M away from finally saving Maple Leaf Gardens from further decay - or worse.
On a side note, I'd love to see the Hockey Hall of Fame worked into this project. It's existing digs are good but this is where it truly belongs.

Good point about the Hall of Fame, even if its current location is spectacular and even if i'd be as equally concerned about that location's destiny without it there...

So happy to hear about this project. It's been a long time coming but is testament to the fact that Torontonians do care about this building.

The only reason I'd support a move of the Hall of Fame to MLG is to enable them to make the HOF much bigger. The current space is very small and they have tons of stuff in storage that could be put on display. Also, the current space is not very conducive to temporary exhibits. For example, this past year they had to take away a bunch of the general hockey history stuff in order to fit in an exhibit about the 100th Anniversary of the Canadiens.

The current Great Hall is a fantastic space though, so it'd be really difficult to replicate something of that standard to house the Stanley Cup and the other trophies.

Good point about the Hall of Fame, even if its current location is spectacular and even if i'd be as equally concerned about that location's destiny without it there...

Could be a good spot for the Museum of Toronto...

Could be a good spot for the Museum of Toronto...

If, as JN 12 says above, "The only reason I'd support a move of the Hall of Fame to MLG is to enable them to make the HOF much bigger. The current space is very small " then it would clearly be too small for the proposed (and longed-for) Museum of Toronto.

If, as JN 12 says above, "The only reason I'd support a move of the Hall of Fame to MLG is to enable them to make the HOF much bigger. The current space is very small " then it would clearly be too small for the proposed (and longed-for) Museum of Toronto.

I'm not sure how much space a museum with no collection needs...best to start small, yeah?

The current HHOF has a few interactive areas that take up a fair bit of room so really, it would be a perfect size for a city of Toronto museum. I doubt you'd need a large space for people to shoot pucks at a screen in a museum dedicated to the city.

Ultimately, I don't think there would be enough room in MLG along with a Loblaws and a rink to also fit in the HHOF. Like i said, considering the prime space they're in right now, it would take a space that is both an increase in quality and quantity for them to move.

I'd love to see the HHOF use MLG as a second location. Keep the current building just for the Cup and the displays for the players in the hall with rotating displays like the Habs 100th anniversary taking up the remainder. Move all the interactive games and stuff to MLG. Let the kids go to MLG and run around and shoot pucks at targets and skate on the ice.
They could link the two buildings by embedding the players' names in the sidewalk going up Yonge Street and turning on Carleton.

Back