Toronto TMU: Science Building | 81.7m | 14s | TMU | Henning Larsen

Ryerson right now only has a single small bike room accessed off of Victoria lane. They are probably aiming to build a nice big secure facility for most of campus.
Hopefully the plan here gets revised over time, because the bike storage is predominantly for "long-term storage" which is code for residential use and in the arch plans is behind a key-card entrance. The short-term bike storage is located in the laneway in the north of the building, and in one small room adjacent to the long-term bike storage area.

Since Ryerson will end up being the property manager of the residential component in all likelihood, in practice, this might all just become bike storage for general students.

The view from the penthouse of Massey Tower:

Toronto Model 12-27-18 RSB.png

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the 246m height! On closer inspection, the 1st floor is at 90 m (above sea level?), so the building is really 156 m tall, about the same height as the 2 new condos on the NE and SE corners of Jarvis & Dundas

Hopefully the plan here gets revised over time, because the bike storage is predominantly for "long-term storage" which is code for residential use and in the arch plans is behind a key-card entrance. The short-term bike storage is located in the laneway in the north of the building, and in one small room adjacent to the long-term bike storage area.

Since Ryerson will end up being the property manager of the residential component in all likelihood, in practice, this might all just become bike storage for general students.

In my opinion, it more likely Ryerson will partner with a private developer that will own and manage the residential.

Love, love, love. Love the materiality. Love the colour. Love how it meets the street. Love Henning Larsen. Love that Ryerson is fairly consistently raising the architectural bar with its continued expansion.

Love.

I echo the love for this proposal. I especially love the muted gold colour, the materiality and detailing, all of which I hope and pray survives the value engineering which this will probably undergo. And yes, it will stand out at a corner of black and grey mediocrity.

Among many things I appreciate about this proposal, I love that they used a warm palette for the cladding, contributing to an emerging trend**. Maybe we're finally starting to move on from the monotony of blue/green glass!

** Is it fair to call this a trend? Off the top of my head, recent proposals with some kind of champagne or gold cladding:
  • The One
  • Etobicoke Civic Centre (thanks, Henning Larsen!)
  • 481 University
  • Aqualuna (I guess this is actually more copper than champagne or gold, but it's metallic and a warm colour so I'm going to change my criteria mid-list so it counts)

I live in the neighbourhood, so I would hope this meets the street alright. Despite the renders, I worry about the massive podium, much like my concern with Dundas Square Gardens across the street. Many new buildings at this part of town planned or built don't meet the street well at all (hello, Social). I'd really like something a little better here. The early render looks somewhat promising, but I can't see street trees doing well here, especially with the shadowing. The retail had better be something good.

Those elevators will service the residential tower only and why they are backward.

Don't think so - the elevators for the residences have a separate residential lobby to the right, plus the same elevators faced the lobby in the upper floor of the academic building.

AoD

Back