Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

If ROM has a couple of extra dinosaur skeletons just as big as that barosaur in the picture, that would justify its plan to build a tower on the Planetarium site... a condo tower for dinosaur skeletons.

Any room for this?
Dinah_Shore.jpg

Could it be any cooler than Cetology, the whale skeleton made from plastic lawn chairs now on display in the ICC?
That's Brian Jungen.
BrianJungen02-Cet.png

I'd love to see one of these in Toronto. I always thought it would look great in the AGO's new Gallery Italia (or whaterver the new north sculpture galley is called now).

LightSabre Battle

Anybody go to the LightSabre Battle in front of the ROM Friday night?

I went with a group of friends and had a great time. It was an awesome sight to take in and even more fun participating in. The shadows bouncing off the Crystal looked really cool.

Hope they make this an annual event!

Louroz

When I left the place a few minutes ago, I noticed a lovely little cluster of icycles hanging from the east side of the Crystal. There's potential for some really spectacular ones, given the right weather conditions, I think.

When I left the place a few minutes ago, I noticed a lovely little cluster of icycles hanging from the east side of the Crystal. There's potential for some really spectacular ones, given the right weather conditions, I think.

How long till an icicle falls and injures someone walking by and the City orders changes to the design to prevent it from happening again?

At the Currelly Society annual lunch today I sat next to the brilliant Vincent Tovell, senior fellow of Massey College and Officer of the Order of Canada, who has had a long and stellar career in arts, culture and broadcasting since the 1950's. We had a lovely long natter about this and that. What a sharp mind. At times I felt like I was being interviewed - rather an honour considering who he has interviewed.

Three curators gave talks:

Katherine Dunnell of Minerology told us about the 20 carat Columbian emerald ring ( heck, we passed the rock around - what gorgeous colour, in a deco ziggurat-like setting ) that the Museum recently purchased.

Heidi Sobol of Conservation told us about the restoration of Edward Taylor Dartnell's painting, Panoramic View of the City of Toronto ( circa 1850 ) which hangs in the new Sigmund Samuel Gallery. It was in very bad condition and they had to heat it on a large table specially designed for the process in order to remove the painted canvas from a second backing it was attached to with wax. Yikes! It had a three-way tear, with water damage, but the threads of the tear was woven together again and the restored and cleaned painting re-heated and waxed back onto the original canvas backing.

David Evans of Vertebrate Paleontology told us about the rare 80 ft long Barosaurus they'd recently discovered stored in the basement. He was very enthusiastic in his description of the moment when, flying over Michigan, he realized that the ROM actually owned one of the beasts that he was heading south to find: "Turn the 'plane back!" was his first thought. It had been collected by the Carnegie Museum in 1910-20 in Utah, and was a 1962 exchange acquisition for the ROM. The Loise Hawley Stone Bequest will pay for the creation of "filler" segments of the skeleton ( which is 40-45% intact ). There are 4 neck bones, all the back, lots of tail and upper leg etc. surviving, and he said it is being mounted in Trenton at the moment, attached to armatures.

Back