Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Gehry has said that his AGO addition is "a very Toronto solution" or words to that effect. So it isn't unreasonable to conclude that our values, reflected in the modesty of our building style, are appreciated by starchitects when they build here and choose to either adapt to our mode or play off it with something extravagant.

Gehry has said that his AGO addition is "a very Toronto solution" or words to that effect. So it isn't unreasonable to conclude that our values, reflected in the modesty of our building style, are appreciated by starchitects when they build here and choose to either adapt to our mode or play off it with something extravagant.

From what he's said, I don't think Gehry appreciated the solution he had to come up with.

That's one way to interpret it. It could also be viewed as a criticism of Toronto's unwillingness to invest in architecture.

Or veiled criticism of the AGO's hiring Gehry because they "wanted a Gehry", without properly accounting for existing straitjacket contextual conditions that put a crimp on the kind of Gehry they were going to get...

Gehry is on record in saying that he would have love to done more (and been a bit more "Gehry") but he simply was not presented with the budget for it. He certainly was not celebrating our "values", whatever that means.

alklay:

Actually, during his talk at MTCC after AGO publically announced the project, Gehry discaded the more "Bilbao" like proposals along Dundas, saying it's a little "too gratituous".

AoD

Actually, during his talk at MTCC after AGO publically announced the project, Gehry discaded the more "Bilbao" like proposals along Dundas, saying it's a little "too gratituous".

sounds like this man ain't too proud of his hometown.

alklay:

AoD

He also made a lot of comments which would lead one to believe he was very restrained in what he could do.

Most comments would indicate the final solution for the AGO isn't really what he would've done had the budget been there.

More like whatever he would have "wanted to do" (assuming it's a Bilbao-type opus), it wouldn't have been on that particular site.
sounds like this man ain't too proud of his hometown.
Or maybe he is, if not "proud", at least genuinely respectful--thus his "too gratuitous" comment.

It's a slam on those who think that just because he's Gehry, maaaan, he can and should do his free-form Gehry thang on any ole site. You want him to do something on this particular stretch of Dundas and overlooking Grange Park; there, you have it. If you want coffee-table Gehry, then acquire a plot on Queen's Quay or some leftover parking lot somewhere. Get the hint?

updated pic from flickr, posted by phunky over at SSC...you can clearly see where the plastic covering has been removed, and where it hasn't, but I think we will have to wait, before passing judgement...pretty rapid progress though....

450112821_e572c4743e_b.jpg

Interesting to compare to the rendering....this from a news item in artdaily.com....it's actually pretty close..

ROM_Crystal_Day.jpg

^ Don't forget this is a museum. Artifacts are more often light sensitive than not. I'm surprised there's any glass at all.

Interesting to compare to the rendering....this from a news item in artdaily.com....it's actually pretty close..

I'd call it an exact match.

More glass might look better, but museum design is bound by the need of spaces devoid of natural light. Sunlight damages.

That rendering is indeed an exact match... down to the gaps between cladding pieces.

There seems to be a mad run towards finishing this thing, whenever I pass by, day or night there are a ton of workers on site on all sides of the crystal working away.

I have a feeling that the hoarding will be coming down very soon and replaced with fencing: they need to get started on the landscaping ASAP if this is to open in July.

Back