Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

I was speaking to a ROM Store employee who said that the store would be relocated or resized and that its space along with an opened up Spirit House would be turned into a cafe which the new outdoor patio currently under construction would be a part of.

I'm going out on a limb here ; I'm really looking forward to this and that I intend to enjoy it a lot. How's that for optimism.

I was speaking to a ROM Store employee who said that the store would be relocated or resized and that its space along with an opened up Spirit House would be turned into a cafe which the new outdoor patio currently under construction would be a part of.
Spirit House always felt a bit wasted. Glad one will be able to buy a coffee here. Maybe even a beer?

Spirit House always felt a bit wasted. Glad one will be able to buy a coffee here. Maybe even a beer?

Hope they work on fixing the Sprit House on the upper levels as well- I think they ought to either maybe the space feel more open, or just fill in the space to provide more space for exhibits.

Are they fixing the cladding or am I dreaming? (It is late after all...)

It's strange- the miscoloured cladding could have been a way to add more texture to what is a very monolithic form. The problem is that it wasn't 'random' enough, so it just looks like like cheap mismatched vinyl siding. If they ever reclad the building in the future, they should look at a darker metallic cladding.

I hope all that wasn’t just for clearing off the ice accretion?

Sounds like a failure in architectural design if they have to put all of that up there just for some ice. Ice mitigation needs to be revisted the next time they do a major renovation on the facade.

There are, in fact, many other ways to look at it and conclude the opposite.
I am not necessarily defending the crystal, but when the Eiffel Tower was first completed, it was widely considered an eyesore (and a temporary structure). Now, most people cannot picture France without the Eiffel Tower!

Anyway you look at it, the Royal Ontario Museum Crystal extension has been quite a disappointment, and we are stuck with it.

Yes and no - but the audaciousness in and of itself should be celebrated. One might argue that just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done - but at least it has been done.

AoD

There are, in fact, many other ways to look at it and conclude the opposite.
True. One could argue we aren’t in fact stuck with it. The Liebeskind monstrosity replaced a seventies addition, so there’s precedent for tearing down a relatively recent ROM addition. In fact, the Globe’s architecture critic at the time of the Crystal’s construction suggested just that.

Back