Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Dude are children allowed to scream in a library? No, they are immediately told to shut up or leave. Museums are very much the same.

When I was a child my parents often took me to museums and art galleries (both in Toronto and abroad). The second I started something my mother would shoot me the death stare. Knowing full well I would get a beating if I kept it up, I shut up.

Suggest you do the same if your children are out of control.

OT - I am afraid public libraries are getting rather laissez faire nowadays - even the adults are starting to behave like children. To be fair, libraries aren't really libraries of old, it's more a social destination - and there are still quiet zones most of the time.

As to visiting museums as a kid - honestly, half the time I wish my adults would just shut up, pay attention, stop coddling and asking me stupid questions (yes, I was one of those).

As a child, I was a huge fan of the IKEA play room. I remember crying when they told me I was too tall for the ball pit... Anyway great idea for museums. They can make it educational as well as fun.

All I remember from those is the urge to take those plastic balls from the ballpit home.

AoD

Last edited:
OT - I am afraid public libraries are getting rather laissez faire nowadays - even the adults are starting to behave like children. To be fair, libraries aren't really libraries of old, it's more a social destination - and there are still quiet zones most of the time.

All I remember from those is the urge to take those plastic balls from the ballpit home.

AoD
That's really unfortunate. No wonder children are increasingly out of control.

Parents can't parent and discipline is frowned upon.

Anyway, I think we all agree the ROM needs a ballpit and some fake dinosaur bones kids can dig up in some back room in the basement.

Adults (or kids with self control) can enjoy the quiet reflection of the museum and its rich collections.

Anyway, I think we all agree the ROM needs a ballpit and some fake dinosaur bones kids can dig up in some back room in the basement.

Adults (or kids with self control) can enjoy the quiet reflection of the museum and its rich collections.

I get the impression that's how they see the 2nd Floor galleries - you know most of the kids just wanted to see the dinosaurs - though I can see the freaky Anomalocaris - no doubt to be a star at the upcoming Dawn of Life gallery being a hit:

AnomalocarisDinoMcanb.jpg

(From wiki)

T. Rex is such a comparative yawn.

AoD

Last edited:
The underlying issue are the parents who let their kids run wild rambunctiously with no care in the world.

I have never met a parent or read about a parent who wants or intends to do this.

But alas, this is the problem. Almost every parent that recognizes their kids are unruly or disruptive will step in and put an end to it. Those that don't, simply don't realize that their kids are causing a nuisance. And that is a bigger problem, IMHO.

The ROM and especially the AGO should have a supervised play area where adults can drop off their children like at Ikea. That way the the kids can run around scream and fart and they won't disrupt the people in the exhibits.

I think that's what the CIBC Discovery Center section of the ROM is for. It's a little more hands-on and interactive than the other exhibits (not to say the other exhibits aren't). It can get pretty wild in this area.

I get the impression that's how they see the 2nd Floor galleries - you know most of the kids just wanted to see the dinosaurs - though I can see the freaky Anomalocaris - no doubt to be a star at the upcoming Dawn of Life gallery being a hit:

AnomalocarisDinoMcanb.jpg

(From wiki)

T. Rex is such a comparative yawn.

AoD

Enjoy the best documentary I have ever seen... Learned all I know about the Cambrian lifeforms through it.

I've always enjoyed seeing engaged children in the ROM and the AGO. I've felt envious of them, wished I had lived in a big city (and maybe had a different kind of family) when growing up so that I had greater access and exposure to wider cultural experiences. I'm old now and my mind is a little less pliant - it's more important, I think, that these places speak in a meaningful way to the children than to me. I can cope with a little liveliness from them as long as the collections aren't at risk. I've, over the years, been more horrified at the way some adults, maybe most of all younger adults taking pictures with cellphones, behave in the galleries. There's that giant bell just inside the entrance to Asian galleries on the first floor that has a prominent Please Do Not Touch sign on it. No one pays attention. There are those big sculptures just outside there in the hallway also with signs asking people not to touch. How many people climb on that kneeling camel for a quick selfie? Stand by the Confucius heads on the third floor at a busy time and see how long it takes someone to yuk it up for his friends by putting his hand on the blue boob of that contemporary Indian statue with the backward hands. At the AGO I've often cringed to watch some oblivious adult point their fingers (sometimes holding a pen or glasses) inches from a painting.

I've been away from Toronto for a few years but back three-five years ago when I had memberships at both the ROM and the AGO, I thought I saw patterns in the way security at each building behaves. This is just speculation, but I always took it as a sign of the relative health of their employee relations and back room bureaucracies. At the AGO you could look around and see a guard, and certain guards were quite proactive at interacting with patrons. They seemed proud of their institution. At the ROM I'd often see a couple of them together out in the hallways and Libeskind nooks and angularities, away from the galleries. There was an avoidant vibe to it.

Enjoy the best documentary I have ever seen... Learned all I know about the Cambrian lifeforms through it.

The interesting period that is not covered as much, but one that Canada also have a good representation of is the Ediacaran Period before the Cambrian - in particular, Mistaken Point in NFLD:

http://geol.queensu.ca/museum/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=61

I understand that ROM has a giant cast - not sure if it will be on display when the new gallery opens:

http://www.rescast.com/?q=node/42

I sure hope it will be.

AoD

Don't forget about the existence of adults who behave like children (most of whom have a disability). No parent can calm him/her down and yes, they need to be accommodated.

Speaking of disabilities, I have a permanent learning disability, which means that someone accompanying me can visit the museum for free, while I pay for my own admission.

I enjoyed visiting the ROM, even when I was a little child. Yes, I am well behaved, especially given how strict my mother is.

Yes, the ROM has security guards throughout the exhibits who watch over the artifacts in case someone bumps into them. Yes, the artifacts are insured.

I don't mind screaming children in the ROM. After all, the screaming children of today could very well become lifelong museum aficionados of the future. Don't forget that everyone posting in UT was a child once in various degrees of hyperactivity. I have yet to meet a human who reached puberty before being born (outside of fiction of course).

Last edited:
I do mind screaming children especially in places like the ROM and the AGO. We don't blame the children for this behavior because it's the parents who've allowed their children to set the boundaries of acceptable public behavior. It's the selfishness or laziness of the parents on display here.

A screaming child is not the end of the world. That's what they do. It's when the parents do nothing to calm them down, or egg them on as you sometimes see. It's not the ball room at IKEA, folks.

And I don't think there is any disagreement that people with disabilities should be accommodated.

A screaming child is not the end of the world. That's what they do. It's when the parents do nothing to calm them down, or egg them on as you sometimes see. It's not the ball room at IKEA, folks.

And I don't think there is any disagreement that people with disabilities should be accommodated.

I am sure my partner, who has hearing issues including hyperacusis, would appreciate being accommodated. A lack of yelling and screaming would do it.

Fortunately, the Tattoos exhibit, which we saw this morning at the member's preview, was kid-free and quiet - and interesting, but I would put up a few nudity warnings just in case to further dissuade parents with toddlers from visiting the exhibit, which officially opens tomorrow. There was also a civilized atmosphere at the Musée du quai Branly, the originator of the exhibit, when I visited it a few years ago.

I doubt the nudity warning would have dissuaded them. I was surprised by the number of small kids who had been taken to see the big Mapplethorpe show at LACMA & the Getty when I saw it last week. Even more pleasantly surprised when the only two people I saw in either part of the exhibition sniggering were two twenty-something twinks who were apparently unable to handle the X Portfolio.

Back