Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

My biggest gripe with the roof is usually the early part of the season. Obviously the technical requirements don't allow this, but in my perfect world, it would only be closed for rain.

As for reorienting the field, my gut tells me the biggest problem with that is they would've needed to do that before digging out the infield for the dirt before 2016. Now they're kinda locked into this.
Curious to see how they manage infield renos. Lots of space from home plate to the 100L concourse. Increase the slope somehow? Time will tell.

eh. The conversation went:
"There needs to be more natural light. Lets open up some of the exterior walls. Especially in the outfield that's a real issue"
"Uh, there's a hotel on the other side"
"Yeah but the real real issue is the South (home plate to first base) area. We should open that space up"
"Uh, that's the main grandstand. Fans need to sit there"
"Yeah but if they rotate the field"

No, just no.
Check this thread. I have mocked the idea of relocating. This is a done issue. We will see the final product after level 100 is complete. But what I said is accurate. Take down that hotel wall and it’s not going to be pretty. The other direction would have made more sense. But it’s all in the past now. I’m happy with the stadium. Please don’t paint me in the im not happy crowd. We’ve both been here long enough to know that’s not true.

My biggest gripe with the roof is usually the early part of the season. Obviously the technical requirements don't allow this, but in my perfect world, it would only be closed for rain.

As for reorienting the field, my gut tells me the biggest problem with that is they would've needed to do that before digging out the infield for the dirt before 2016. Now they're kinda locked into this.
Curious to see how they manage infield renos. Lots of space from home plate to the 100L concourse. Increase the slope somehow? Time will tell.
Yes it’s too late now.

I actually think smaller crowds are when the renos will really shine. Fewer empty seats and better aesthetics will help a lot for those games. It'll look a lot less cavernous.

I think the renos will also help out when the Jays go through a rebuilding period. All those bars and things to do will be a nice draw when your team isn't great.
I always thought just having level 100 and 200 would be perfect. Charge more for seats. And it would be packed every night.

How hard is it to retrofit it to drain? I’m semi serious with these questions since I prefer no rain during my games but I can understand those that want no roof. The location is what’s most important to me.
from my understading, very hard.

i haven't seem schematics but apparently all the electrical and mechanical is JUST below the surface so that would all have to be relocated. The mound for example is an elevator. it sinks below the surface for concerts etc and then comes back for games. they don't rebuild it to spec height every game.

with all the concrete involved, it would be a tremendous undertaking to get all the drainage in place. that's just the field, you need to factor in drainage for the stands too.

it's a concrete monster. it has a 137,000 cubic metres of concrete (the CN Tower has 40,500 cubic metres for reference)

from my understading, very hard.

i haven't seem schematics but apparently all the electrical and mechanical is JUST below the surface so that would all have to be relocated. The mound for example is an elevator. it sinks below the surface for concerts etc and then comes back for games. they don't rebuild it to spec height every game.

with all the concrete involved, it would be a tremendous undertaking to get all the drainage in place. that's just the field, you need to factor in drainage for the stands too.

it's a concrete monster. it has a 137,000 cubic metres of concrete (the CN Tower has 40,500 cubic metres for reference)
Yes I assumed the stands would be even more complicated. Well maybe one day we can figure out how to put a better roof on. Right now I’m happy it’s dry in April and September.

Seeing the roof opening is always great. It's nice to still be gladdened by familiar things.
When I used to work at the CN Tower (in the late '80's) we used to watch it move from the main indoor observation deck. Quite a view! Tourists were generally amazed.
There's a lot of loose talk on here about replacing the stadium, etc., but watching the videos posted of it opening, I thought - who knows? The way things come around that go around, the whole place might be back in vogue in a whole new way if we can hang onto it for ten or twenty years. It's not pretty, but it's still incredibly impressive.
I'm glad to see Rogers is investing in the place.

I agree. That this is too late. I was responding to someone suggesting if you knock out the back wall it would bring in light. All I was saying is that the other side would significantly have been better since it wouldnt be meters away from a business building. Again I agree this is too late in the game for that.

Although i still wonder how hard it would be to completely take off the roof and add grass and drainage.

I think the big problem with no roof is that level 100 is completely exposed to the sun. The 500 level wouldn’t cover too much. It would be crazy hot.
Shapiro has essentially confirmed grass is not happening in this stadium. The cost would be so great to figure out drainage etc it just wouldn't be worth it.

To be honest, I don't think most fans really care about the turf anymore. I know I don't. Kind of an old talking point. It looks *so* much better than it used to, it's really barely an aesthetic downgrade from real grass now.

Seeing the roof opening is always great. It's nice to still be gladdened by familiar things.
When I used to work at the CN Tower (in the late '80's) we used to watch it move from the main indoor observation deck. Quite a view! Tourists were generally amazed.
There's a lot of loose talk on here about replacing the stadium, etc., but watching the videos posted of it opening, I thought - who knows? The way things come around that go around, the whole place might be back in vogue in a whole new way if we can hang onto it for ten or twenty years. It's not pretty, but it's still incredibly impressive.
I'm glad to see Rogers is investing in the place.
Ten years ago I was desperate for a new stadium, as a big Jays fan. But they've improved it so much, that I'm surprised at how much I've come around to the idea of sticking with the place, and doing a couple more major renos down the line instead.

eh. The conversation went:
"There needs to be more natural light. Lets open up some of the exterior walls. Especially in the outfield that's a real issue"
"Uh, there's a hotel on the other side"
"Yeah but the real real issue is the South (home plate to first base) area. We should open that space up"
"Uh, that's the main grandstand. Fans need to sit there"
"Yeah but if they rotate the field"

No, just no.

That's not really how the convo went...but okay..lol.

Perfect example is my comment regarding the walls being to high weren't even so much pertaining to the fact there's not enough light in the stadium. It was more about how even when the roof is open and there's lots of light, the walls being so high still makes you feel like you somewhat indoor in a concrete bunker. I even made analogy that's in similar to being in a car with a sun roof as opposed to a car that's fully convertible.

Last edited:
That's not really how the convo went...but okay..lol.

Perfect example is my comment regarding the walls being to high weren't even so much pertaining to the fact there's not enough light in the stadium. It was more about how even when the roof is open and there's lots of light, the walls being so high still makes you feel like you somewhat indoor in a concrete bunker. I even made analogy that's in similar to being in a car with a sun roof as opposed to a car that's fully convertible.
This was discussed years ago in this thread, but the belief is if Rogers really wanted to open up the OF areas, they technically could. Old construction photos show enough open space where the hotel currently lies. Whether it's financially worthwhile to do so is another question, especially when you factor in the Marriott hotel tacked onto the north end and the compensation they'd likely be owed if forced to vacate the space. My guess is they've investigated it and won't seriously consider anything of that scale until the time comes, likely 15 - 20 years down the line, perhaps in conjunction with transparent panels in the roof.

As for the field rotation idea, apparently the Jays/Rogers did consider that for the renovations, which would've seen the field rotate clockwise with home plate facing the CN tower. That idea was obviously rejected considering the amount of work required to rebuild an OF area in the eastern portion of the stadium.

As for the current renovations, it's a huge upgrade over what was basically dead space in the OF areas. I think the 100L reno will have an even greater impact on the facility, with better seating, more amenities, improved sightlines, and I would guess, wider, more angular concourses should they remove the rotating tracks.
stadiums-canada-ontario-toronto-skydome-1987.jpg
7e1532e5503463d0d36c2d6b18f7db533342f5c2-2540x1428.jpg

Out of curiosity ( spite the thought if it can be done ) but to replace the concrete walls on the outside and, replace it with windows? Glass, windows, or whatever they use ( especially for Toronto weather ).

But not the whole RC. But perhaps in some sections of the RC. Where fans are able to get a view of the city from inside, as they walk and glace around the RC? If so would that be another option to bring in more light ( seeing the roof could be a complicated task at this point )?

Off topic, but the digital sign on top of Brookfield Place has the Jays logo on it on west side right not. Thought it was kind of neat. Not sure if this is this right thread for this but figured I would post it here.

Got out to a game - have to say, I thought the renos were GREAT in person. The outfield feels like a completely different place than it used to, and I think people will enjoy it whether they are a big baseball fan or just loosely curious. I recommend checking it out - had an awesome time.

Back