Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

The outfield bleachers are making the most impact in my mind at this point. What used to be tiny dark sections of the stadium now look to have 50 to 100% more seat and now will be brighter by being out from under the upper bowls

The outfield bleachers are making the most impact in my mind at this point. What used to be tiny dark sections of the stadium now look to have 50 to 100% more seat and now will be brighter by being out from under the upper bowls
Even last year, the impact that bright lights with dispersion mirrors had on the 100 outfield seats was incredible.

Does anyone know, or was it discussed on the size of the new seating in the 500's? Are they larger/cup holders etc?
Looks great and can't wait to go to a game this year!

Well, from what I've heard, there were more elaborate (expensive) options on the table, although I don't know what those exactly were, just that it may have involved "knocking down walls". I think there also was some talk of possibly rotating the field. And this isn't to criticise what Rogers is doing, just that they could have done even more if they wanted to.
Last year at the press conference announcing the renos, Shapiro said that they did prepare multiple plans for renos at different price points and presented them to Rogers. He said there was an option for a more expensive reno that involved knocking down segments of the outfield walls to the outside world and letting light in.

Too bad it didn't happen! That would have been something else. Nice to know it's theoretically on the table though, if a new stadium doesn't come about in 10 - 15 years. I think some have speculated on here that it would be impossible.

In my opinion, the stadium was in really poor shape by around 2010 or so (as many pics in this thread have attested). I think at that point the 'this stadium is god awful' complaints would have been quite valid. It did have a depressing, abandoned concrete warehouse feel. But I really think the work they put in the last 10 years (MUCH better turf, dirt infield cut outs, Flight deck, better concourses) plus the renovations we're seeing this off season and next, have taken the dome to a totally different level. Of course it's not Fenway or PNC Park. But it's also not bad at all, and frankly when it's packed it's pretty awesome.

I'd still be thrilled if we ended up with a totally new ballpark at some point, but I'm surprised at how much I've come around to the fact that a renovated, updated dome that has actually had some thought and care put into it is actually pretty decent.

In my opinion, the stadium was in really poor shape by around 2010 or so (as many pics in this thread have attested). I think at that point the 'this stadium is god awful' complaints would have been quite valid. It did have a depressing, abandoned concrete warehouse feel. But I really think the work they put in the last 10 years (MUCH better turf, dirt infield cut outs, Flight deck, better concourses) plus the renovations we're seeing this off season and next, have taken the dome to a totally different level. Of course it's not Fenway or PNC Park. But it's also not bad at all, and frankly when it's packed it's pretty awesome.

I'd still be thrilled if we ended up with a totally new ballpark at some point, but I'm surprised at how much I've come around to the fact that a renovated, updated dome that has actually had some thought and care put into it is actually pretty decent.

SkyDome/Rogers Centre: Never what we truly want it to be, but never as bad as we claim it is. And definitely not as bad as Oakland Coliseum or Tropicana Field.

I can't wait for Phase 2 ( the lower 100 renovations ). Based on the results and the renderings coming to reality. I cannot wait to see what's next to come to the Rogers Centre.

The new 500 seats are slightly larger than the previous.

I will chime in - once the organization removed the restaurant & glass in center field and replaced it with the Flight Deck, that really sparked a turning of the page in making the Dome less of a sterile bunker and began feeling more open.

Dirt infield followed suit a few years later, and now the turf even has a classic pattern to it.

Next year, the new 100 level will arguably be the biggest single change in the dome's history.

There's a lot to look forward to in making this stadium the best it can be.

interesting. i wonder if they'll have pyro in there during the season at all (not necessarily where we saw them today). i know years ago they had them and then got rid of them when they introduced the fog horn.

i'm loving the look.

I think over the years they've been making gradual changes here and there so it's been rather subtle and a very slow build up so we are forever underwhelmed with the dome.

there was recently a twitter thread comparing all the worst stadiums in mlb history and i was surprised by the sheer amount of out-of-market fans that came to the defense of the dome. they were all similar. it was something like "i visited there years ago and it was drab and i recently went back and was shocked how much nicer it is now"

it makes me think how surprised i'd be by it if i went in like 2002 and then again in 2022. instead i go maybe 5x a year.

Back