Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

They have updated all the seats over the years, except the 500 level seats. Those literally date to 1989 and still have the SkyDome logo on them (at least the ones on the end of the row).

I assume they'll auction them off or something.
i don't think that's true. the 500 level seats and the 100 level seats are the same with the exception a few seats behind the dish with cushions in the 100 and 200 level....unless you're talking about putting a Rogers Centre Sticker over the SkyDome sticker as an update?

I'm curious what plans they have for the 100 level, because how much can really be done? Obviously all of the seats will be replaced, and properly orientated. The only change I could see in terms of seating is maybe having seats below field level, behind the batter's box. Other than that, is the majority of the work likely done on the main concourse?

I'm curious what plans they have for the 100 level, because how much can really be done? Obviously all of the seats will be replaced, and properly orientated. The only change I could see in terms of seating is maybe having seats below field level, behind the batter's box. Other than that, is the majority of the work likely done on the main concourse?

From what I understand, they going to tear out all the seats and replace them. They going to sort of shift everything so it faces home plate, and bring the side walls in a bit so they're more squared off and looks more like a baseball diamond.

Last edited:
Mark Shapiro said in an interview that there is machinery under the 100 level seats that was used to re configure the seats for football. Now they’re able to remove that and create quite a bit of space there apparently.

Overall though, other than the seats and orientation I imagine they’ll reimagine the 100 level concourse, create bars, restaurants, spaces etc? Much like they’re doing in the outfield.

I get what you mean though. That part of the Reno probably won’t be nearly as visually obvious. Unless you’re sitting in the seats maybe.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's going to be a lot more than just replacing/re-aligning the seats. They are going to take out the entire 100-level structure and replace it.
If you've been there (and I assume we all have) you know that there is a clear demarcation where the concourse ends and the 100-level begins, because it's all on rails. (There's like a big plastic ring going around the stadium that you can't miss.)
And there is a huge amount of dead space underneath, as well as space occupied by the now-obsolete machinery.

So I suspect it will be at least a visually obvious a change as the current round. Firstly, if the 500-level pictures are any guideline, they will replace the light blue seats with new, dark blue ones. I've posted images before of other stadiums where the 100-level is kind of broken into a VIP section and then like a B-level, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that here too (pic of Yankee Stadium attached as example). And this is a real amateur-hour drawing of how drastically they can bring the seating closer to the field.
rogers.JPG
yankees.JPG

EDIT: Better late than never, just adding this picture of the concourse I found on Google. You can see the dividing line between the concourse and the seating structure here. They will tear down everything on the far side of that line; it's a big project and a lot of space to play with.
1674140342454.png

Attachments

• 1674140266835.png
    1674140266835.png
    520.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yeah, it's going to be a lot more than just replacing/re-aligning the seats. They are going to take out the entire 100-level structure and replace it.
If you've been there (and I assume we all have) you know that there is a clear demarcation where the concourse ends and the 100-level beings, because it's all on rails. (There's like a big plastic ring going around the stadium that you can't miss.)
And there is a huge amount of dead space underneath, as well as space occupied by the now-obsolete machinery.

So I suspect it will be at least a visually obvious a change as the current round. Firstly, if the 500-level pictures are any guideline, they will replace the light blue seats with new, dark blue ones. I've posted images before of other stadiums where the 100-level is kind of broken into a VIP section and then like a B-level, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that here too (pic of Yankee Stadium attached as example). And this is a real amateur-hour drawing of how drastically they can bring the seating closer to the field.View attachment 451202View attachment 451203

It would be very cool if they would pull the 100-level seats closer to the field and pull the main concourse out so it's exposed to the open air! Would make the concourse feel a lot brighter and less crowded.

I agree, but it's better then nothing and will help until they get a new stadium in 10-12 years from now.

I wouldn't bet on that. The deals between owners and city, county, state/province contributions in this stadium building boom era aren't going to look any better in 10 to 12 years.

For the first time in its history, the building will be designed to watch baseball. Try it out first.

I wouldn't bet on that. The deals between owners and city, county, state/province contributions in this stadium building boom era aren't going to look any better in 10 to 12 years.

For the first time in its history, the building will be designed to watch baseball. Try it out first.
Doubt we will get a new stadium in 10 years... try maybe 2050 at the earliest.

this renovation will buy the stadium additional 25 years. Then in 2050, they will talk about a new baseball stadium. It will probably 10-15 years after that before that opens. So we wont see a new stadium till 2065.

I doubt the stadium will last 80 years. Maple Leaf Gardens only lasted 68 before it was closed.

Back