Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I happened upon this serendipitous angle with the Roundhouse red brick and black window mulligans serving as a podium for the SkyDome. This alone would dramatically improve the appearance of the building and its integration into the neighbourhood. Add restaurants around the base with ball field and street access and you’d have a vibrant street presence, both during games and no game days.

View attachment 287186
As much as i like that i don't think they care much of how nice or ugly the Dome looks, but how it performs as a baseball park ..just saying

I happened upon this serendipitous angle with the Roundhouse red brick and black window mulligans...
I think you meant to write: mullions

As much as i like that i don't think they care much of how nice or ugly the Dome looks, but how it performs as a baseball park ..just saying
Unfortunately, you’re probably right. If a new stadium is built, hopefully that sentiment will change and will be demonstrated by hiring an eminent architectural firm, such as Graziani + Corazzza.

I happened upon this serendipitous angle with the Roundhouse red brick and black window mulligans serving as a podium for the SkyDome. This alone would dramatically improve the appearance of the building and its integration into the neighbourhood. Add restaurants around the base with ball field and street access and you’d have a vibrant street presence, both during games and no game days.

View attachment 287186

So they move the stadium? How would that work?

This will sound incredibly out there but could they build something out in the middle of the lake using some clean (or not so clean) fill? It is theoretically possible hence how we have the Harbourfront and Ontario Place.

Put a bridge out there and voila.. no issues.

He's talking about covering up the exposed concrete of the stadium with red brick and black windows like the roundhouse

This will sound incredibly out there but could they build something out in the middle of the lake using some clean (or not so clean) fill? It is theoretically possible hence how we have the Harbourfront and Ontario Place.

Put a bridge out there and voila.. no issues.

A hearty lol

You seem to have misunderstood my entire post. I’m not suggesting moving the SkyDome into the Roundhouse, I’m imagining how the existing SkyDome could better fit into the neighborhood by giving it a warm cladding like the red brick of the Roundhouse, while opening up the north facade of the stadium to a new park over the rail corridor and keeping the dome open by default to enable a real grass field.

These measures would give the SkyDome the appearance of the ballparks that are popular in MLB, solve the grass problem and create business opportunities for Rogers while adding vitality to the neighbourhood that a concrete bunker currently lacks.

The SkyDome was built in a way that contains the game from outside viewers, but in the process has also isolated the spectators inside from the city around them. Opening up the stadium while not fearing peeks of those on the outside of the activity inside is the solution. Creating a pourous facade of restaurants/bars around the perimeter, begins to solve this problem. Knocking down the hotel and opening the outfield to the exterior would complete the transformation of the atmosphere.

MLSE has learned that bringing the game inside to those outside not only doesn’t hurt ticket sales, it gets the city involved and creates new fans. Maple Leaf Square and Jurassic Park have been incredibly successful. The Jays can replicate this while improving the atmosphere inside by letting the outside in and vice versa.

You seem to have misunderstood my entire post. I’m not suggesting moving the SkyDome into the Roundhouse, I’m imagining how the existing SkyDome could better fit into the neighborhood by giving it a warm cladding like the red brick of the Roundhouse, while opening up the north facade of the stadium to a new park over the rail corridor and keeping the dome open by default to enable a real grass field.

These measures would give the SkyDome the appearance of the ballparks that are popular in MLB, solve the grass problem and create business opportunities for Rogers while adding vitality to the neighbourhood that a concrete bunker currently lacks.

The SkyDome was built in a way that contains the game from outside viewers, but in the process has also isolated the spectators inside from the city around them. Opening up the stadium while not fearing peeks of those on the outside of the activity inside is the solution. Creating a pourous facade of restaurants/bars around the perimeter, begins to solve this problem. Knocking down the hotel and opening the outfield to the exterior would complete the transformation of the atmosphere.

MLSE has learned that bringing the game inside to those outside not only doesn’t hurt ticket sales, it gets the city involved and creates new fans. Maple Leaf Square and Jurassic Park have been incredibly successful. The Jays can replicate this while improving the atmosphere inside by letting the outside in and vice versa.

I can see it now. BJ Square... the place where people keep coming and coming..

Modest proposal: How about we just keep the Dome open year round? Weatherize the dugout, seating and roof girders.

Not ideal. You need to winterize the interior elements like plumbing to prevent them from bursting. There is also no drainage in the stands as it was never designed for such things.

Nobody would pay to sit there in the winter.

Not ideal. You need to winterize the interior elements like plumbing to prevent them from bursting. There is also no drainage in the stands as it was never designed for such things.
Nobody would pay to sit there in the winter.
I assume things in there would deteriorate more quickly if left exposed to the elements.
It's about to be three years (January 2018) since anyone paid to sit inside Rogers Centre for an event during winter (and not just because of the pandemic), despite Rogers Centre still being physically capable of it from what I understand. In recent years it's only been used for baseball and some full-stadium concerts during the summer. I suppose it might be that they purposefully avoided booking anything in anticipation of possible drastic renovations that ended up not happening, but otherwise I'm not sure why. The number of events there during the winter had been steadily decreasing over the preceding years, to the point where Disney-On-Ice and a monster truck event were the last ones during the 2017-18 off-season, while Scotiabank Arena has in recent winters had events five or even six nights in some weeks with hockey, basketball, and concerts.

Last edited:
I assume things in there would deteriorate more quickly if left exposed to the elements.
It's about to be three years (January 2018) since anyone paid to sit inside Rogers Centre for an event during winter (and not just because of the pandemic), despite Rogers Centre still being physically capable of it from what I understand. In recent years it's only been used for baseball and some full-stadium concerts during the summer. I suppose it might be that they purposefully avoided booking anything in anticipation of possible drastic renovations that ended up not happening, but otherwise I'm not sure why. The number of events there during the winter had been steadily decreasing over the preceding years, to the point where Disney-On-Ice and a monster truck event were the only ones, all while Scotiabank Arena has had events five or even six nights in some weeks.

Disney on ice is better suited for Scotiabank where there are actually ice making facilities on site.

Monster truck rally's are going the way of the dodo for insurance reasons and from a cost perspective.

Disney on ice is better suited for Scotiabank where there are actually ice making facilities on site.

Monster truck rally's are going the way of the dodo for insurance reasons and from a cost perspective.
Monster trucks would be better suited to Tim Hortons field in Hamilton.

Last edited:

Back