Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

It's not a single thing it’s a bunch of little things that have annoyed me in the last 10 years of Rogers Centre.

Another issue there is wifi coverage is pathetic there, especially annoying when the owners are Rogers and wifi is essential to run all new amenities that are being put in stadiums

Being a giant block of concrete built before WiFi was even a thing might be contributing to that issue.

Marlins ballpark is a terrible terrible building. Panned by most as a vanity project for the man who murdered the expos then Marlins owner Jeff Loria.

Still think it's a bit nicer then RC. I must say though, I can't believe how bad they botched that stadium when the blue print for popular stadiums was already done. Same with the new Texas Stadium. I understand they wanted to get out of the heat in Texas, but there old stadium was a nicer stadium then the new one. That in my mind was a stadium that just needed to reno and add a roof. Atlanta's new stadium is nice.

Anyway, I think it's clear that something needs to be done about RC, we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Marlins ballpark is a terrible terrible building. Panned by most as a vanity project for the man who murdered the expos then Marlins owner Jeff Loria.

"New" doesn't always mean good quality and from what I've read, that's exactly what Marlins Park is: poor quality. Not surprising considering it was a Jeff Loria project. The location itself is also a ghost town surrounding by multiple parking structures.

People are really trying to claim this is somehow infinitely superior to what we currently have: https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...f55a8ac3f8e86!8m2!3d25.7781487!4d-80.2195998#

This has been posted before but to use the existing site we would have to do something like this. It would likely mean removing the skydome roof early and then playing at-least one season at the new park without a roof.

1628688667793.png

I'd take the Rogers Centre location (even if it came with the current structure) over the dozen or so stadiums that are situated in a sea of parking lots. For all the accolades Kaufmann stadium gets in KC, it's still just surrounded by parking lots, blech.

This is supposed to be an urbanist forum and nobody seems to be taking that into consideration.

Still think it's a bit nicer then RC. I must say though, I can't believe how bad they botched that stadium when the blue print for popular stadiums was already done. Same with the new Texas Stadium. I understand they wanted to get of the heat in Texas, but there old stadium was a nicer stadium then the new one. That in my mind was a stadium that just needed to reno and add a roof. Atlanta's new stadium is nice.

Anyway, I think it's clear that something needs to be done about RC, we'll see what happens.

You are welcome to your own opinion but it's really an awful stadium, particularly for one built less than 10 years ago.

I believe the plan is for something like this. Cincinnati did the same thing.
Yea, Cincinnati almost had room for the two full stadiums, which we don't. And having a roof on both stadiums definitely complicates this maneuver.

1628690169764.png

Yea, Cincinnati almost had room for the two full stadiums, which we don't. And having a roof on both stadiums definitely complicates this maneuver.

View attachment 340710

Cincinnati is also an example of a ball park whose outfield views do not open up to the downtown skyline, it's out to the river. So a plus for the Portlands idea.

I think the partial demo/partial build is more a of a trial balloon to test the waters of public opinions. I doubt they are serious about that project.

Cincinnati is also an example of a ball park whose outfield views do not open up to the downtown skyline, it's out to the river. So a plus for the Portlands idea.

I think the partial demo/partial build is more a of a trial balloon to test the waters of public opinions. I doubt they are serious about that project.
I did some measuring of the site used in St. Louis for the demo/construction of both stadiums. It's approximately 250m wide x 475m long.

The expanded Rogers Centre site would be about 250m wide x 375m long.

Last edited:
I did some measuring of the site used in St. Louis for the demo/construction of both stadiums. It's approximately 250m wide x 475m long.

The expanded Rogers Centre site would be about 250m wide x 375m long.

yeah I tried to do something similar without being quite as precise, but it's a tighter squeeze for sure.

Yeah I mean the the would be right up against the Gardiner. Now Scotia Bank is right up against it to, but a baseball stadium would all these huge flood lights so I'm not sure if they plays into it. This be interesting if this comes to fruition.

Full stadium lighting out alongside the Gardiner would not be terribly bad, as long as it not pointed directly at it.

Back