Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

As great as I think it looks, this was my first thought as well. The planters need some kind of "spur" sticking out to keep kids from "grinding" on them. The smaller benches and the white balls are probably prime targets too. I realize there will be a bit of security around but not 24 hours, and the whole plaza could quickly look beat up.

If you look closely at the planters, you'll see that the edges are offset every 18" or so. That should be enough to prevent grinding. The benches on the other hand, especially the ones with no arm rests are prime.

I'm sure lots of you have already mentioned this (I have been a follower of this thread for about 6 months but haven't gone through all 1500 posts sorry lol), but in reading the Front Page story today and by really looking at the renderings of the Ripley's Aquarium, I finally see that the whole structure looks like a shark.

I have seen the renderings many times...but never saw the "shark" until today. Now that's all I see. I finally see that the front windows and main entrance form the mouth of the shark...and it's wide open. Even the stairs leading up to it can be considered part of the mouth. The rest of the structure is the body of the shark, with the different angles and the grey and white exterior panels. Again, sorry if anyone has already mentioned this because I'm not trying to repeat here. But I just noticed it today so I got a lil excited...and feel like a complete idiot that I didn't see it before lol. I have a new appreciation for the building itself...and I can't un-see it now. Very cool indeed.

Last edited:
My only real beef with the project (from what I have seen) is the way the new overhang roof marking the ticket booths to the tower has been handled. The poles supporting it look really twee and spindly, IMO. Surely there must have been some way to cantilever the roofline a bit, or slant the poles in bundles so that they played along with the downward swooping angle of the tower leg. Doing it a bit differently would have shown off the clean lines of what they're trying to better effect.

ripleysm19.jpg

Always quality over quantity from you, android. Thanks for your great updates today as always! :)

How long before those lamps will be smashed by vandals?

Just last week I saw some 8 year old kid kicking them while his mother looked on. He thought it was a toy and kicked so hard that you could see them move as he struck them.

Back