Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

Skywalk

I was really hoping that any project here would include the extension of the skywalk to actually connect with Rogers Centre.

Does not appear to be the case and this (if I am reading these siteplans correctly) looks like it ends the possibility of that happening.

Never understood how we built and all weather stadium and realized that people would need an all weather walkway from transit to get them there......but managed to leave a gap between the two!

So true! Never will understand why it just ends where it does. It could easily be extended across the seldom used roof walkway on the north side of the tower base toward the dome. As someone mentioned before they do this strange temporary enclosed passages every year during the auto show.

Nope! Send this packing like the rest of the ill-devised plans that have come before. I understand that the CN Tower is a tourist attraction, but unlike Ripley's Aquariums, it is not an amusement park. I think that we should be celebrating this structure with something that dignifies it, not degrades it to something akin to being on the Wasaga strip.

Furthermore, there is no architecture here. This building has been pulled out of a catalogue and and placed essentially regardless of context, siting etc., on the plot of land beside the tower. This isn't even a case of back to the drawing board, but rather a case of "goodbye, and thanks for showing up."

p-diddle dee

When are they going to implement that architectural review panel? Aren't you all tired of half assed proposals in this city? To be 'the greatest city in the world' we would need some significant architectural icons first.

When are they going to implement that architectural review panel? Aren't you all tired of half assed proposals in this city? To be 'the greatest city in the world' we would need some significant architectural icons first.

The City's Design Review Panel has just been made permanent (it was a trial for the past 2 years). What makes you think that this project will not go to them? See: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/designreviewpanel_meetings.htm

Comments from the report:

The following issues will be reviewed by staff and need to be addressed by the applicant.

1. Built form and massing including the overall height and setbacks, especially on Bremner Boulevard.
2. Impact of the proposed built form on the surrounding open spaces and properties including the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Rogers Centre, the CN Tower and the Salmon Run fountain.
3. Pedestrian access through the site including an appropriate PATH connection.
4. Impact on the Roundhouse park and the historic Roundhouse building as the subject site and the Roundhouse are part of the Union Station Heritage
Conservation District.
5. Management of charter buses including drop-off and pick-up as well as bus parking.
6. Justification for the provision of zero parking spaces.
7. Exterior signage on the building.
8. Review of the existing required community benefits and revisions that may be necessary.
9. On-site landscaping.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-25894.pdf

Dugmor, not to be unkind, but we've mentioned the ARP many times in many threads here. I'm ready to acronymize.

Also, you can't send nothing to a review, something has to exist and I guess this is the starting point.

Remove the giant Ripleys sign from the roof and replace it with a green roof with public access and I'll be happier.

As far as aquarium sizes are concerned, all of the big ones that I've been to devote a good deal of space for performing dolphins and such. Just speculating but I can't imagine that they are going to include a dolphin show in downtown Toronto. They may decide that it isn't worth the protestors and complaints and headaches involved. So whether the announced size indicates a big aquarium or not (in terms of actual number of fish and aquarium size) depends on whether there are dolphins or not.

I would like a green roof as well, or at least something more architectually interesting to look at.
However, as has been stated before me, the PATH needs to be extended to Rogers Centre!

I'm not against an Aquarium here -- although I'd prefer it by the lake -- but the way this building closes off visibility of the base of the CN Tower completely disregards the importance of the site.

It leaves only a small opening; a diagonal line of site from which to directly view the base of the tower from Bremner and beyond.

I think they should build down several floors and then landscape the roof to act as a park. A 1 floor entrance on Bremner or facing the square in front of the tower would be appropriate.

From going into the security offices at the CN Tower, I know that the elevator goes to at least 6 floors below. An aquarium being built that deep would be great even from a story telling standpoint: you'd descend into the "ocean" at the beginning of your tour and gradually make your way up to the surface.

I think they should build down several floors and then landscape the roof to act as a park. A 1 floor entrance on Bremner or facing the square in front of the tower would be appropriate.

I like this idea. What comes to mind is Baird Sampson Neuert Architects' proposal for Fort York (#4). I'm not really keen on an aquarium beside the CN Tower. Something needs to be done around the base but this is not it. I've always felt this area beside the Tower has always been underutilized with very little attention paid to it in terms of landscaping and integrating it with the surrounding area. I haven't thought of what could be done, but I would be satisfied with if it was used as an expansion to the Roundhouse Park in some way.

Pretty horrible design, as has been mentioned above by several members.

It has shades of a Zaha Hadid project, but with none of the poise her designs have. I hope the DRP, the Planning department, and city council pummel this submission into submission.

I'm not against an Aquarium here -- although I'd prefer it by the lake -- but the way this building closes off visibility of the base of the CN Tower completely disregards the importance of the site.

You know what? You're completely right.
The more I see, the more I read, the less I'm liking this idea. Back to the drawing board.

From going into the security offices at the CN Tower, I know that the elevator goes to at least 6 floors below. An aquarium being built that deep would be great even from a story telling standpoint: you'd descend into the "ocean" at the beginning of your tour and gradually make your way up to the surface.

At this location, I'd prefer any digging involve the expansion of the South Building of the Metro Convention Centre. The aquarium does not have to go next to the CN Tower, on Bremner, or even in Downtown Toronto. With that level of architecture, I'd prefer if Ripley's went to Mississauga or Vaughan.

Back