Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

Please post a photo of a building in Toronto that the aquarium is "pretty much the same as"

Just look around downtown Toronto.

Please don't tell me you will only consider the "same" if they are exactly the same.

I consider 98% condos in downtown Toronto are the same except a few, such as Thomson and L Tower. Some "tried" to be different to have a little change here, a colour change there, but it's the same long rectangular made of glass.

Right, I was asking for a specific example - not a reiteration. I spend a lot of time "look[ing] around downtown Toronto" and have not seen a single building that looks even remotely similar in design to the aquarium. So I will ask you again: Please list a specific example of a building that looks like the Ripley's Aquarium.

I think critiquing any building is healthy as it ultimately helps to generate architectural diversity, however this project is not yet finished. I feel the wall of glass and the grand entrance are suitable for the building and the location. If anything, it reminds me a little of the old north grandstand at Exhibition Stadium (with glass) or a horse-racetrack grandstand. Still, all the angles of the building take it far beyond the simplicity of those structures. I look forward to the lighting scheme and hope that it helps to feature the base of the CN Tower in a way we haven't seen before.

Just look around downtown Toronto.

Please don't tell me you will only consider the "same" if they are exactly the same.

I consider 98% condos in downtown Toronto are the same except a few, such as Thomson and L Tower. Some "tried" to be different to have a little change here, a colour change there, but it's the same long rectangular made of glass.

Where he at? Cat got his tongue?

I don't understand his point either. He made a valid point in that many glass condos look similar. But saying the aquarium design is one of them is leaving me scratching my head...

Come on, if it's anything special or out of the "box", it will be in the news already, a la ROM. It's just too simple and boring that it's pretty much same as many other glass buildings, like we need more of the same old same old stuff.

just curious, why do people keep using the phrase "a la" on this forum as if it is an acceptable way of speaking English and as if every single noun is feminine? a la Five, a la Massey, a la Aura. Is it supposed to mean "in the same style as"?
can we stop abusing French?

English has appropriated words and phrases from many languages and it's perfectly acceptable to use a la or à la when you want to say in the style of, yes. There's no reason UrbanToronto members can't use le mot juste whenever it's appropriate.

just curious, why do people keep using the phrase "a la" on this forum as if it is an acceptable way of speaking English and as if every single noun is feminine? a la Five, a la Massey, a la Aura. Is it supposed to mean "in the same style as"?
can we stop abusing French?
I opened my copy of the 2nd edition of the Canadian Oxford. "à la" is recognized in there. So that's carte blanche to use it, unfortunately.

It is listed as a preposition with the meaning of "after the manner of". So "in the same style as" would be about the same thing.

From Friday March 15th 2013

IMG03800-20130315-1626.jpg

IMG03798-20130315-1553.jpg

IMG03797-20130315-1553.jpg

IMG03799-20130315-1553.jpg

Attachments

• IMG03797-20130315-1553.jpg
    IMG03797-20130315-1553.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG03798-20130315-1553.jpg
    IMG03798-20130315-1553.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG03799-20130315-1553.jpg
    IMG03799-20130315-1553.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG03800-20130315-1626.jpg
    IMG03800-20130315-1626.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 460

This photo gives us a look at how nice this building would look clad in wood. It would be very appropriately Canadian and would make the Aquarium a much grander building with a simple change in texture. The glass and steel is too cold for an area with an already cold palette.

^^ IS the Vancouver Aquarium world class? It seemed pretty puny and unimpressive to me.

I believe the Vancouver Aquarium wants to expand, if they do, it'll be the same size as the one in Toronto (i.e. 150K or so). But its very much a local aquarium, so it'll be different then Toronto's.

Toronto's will be a joke in comparison to the one in Atlanta or Chicago.

Back