Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

Today:

T8izR.jpg

A couple of questions: Are they synthesizing salt water? Where does all that salt water go when they refresh it with new water? Hopefully not Lake Ontario...

A couple of questions: Are they synthesizing salt water? Where does all that salt water go when they refresh it with new water? Hopefully not Lake Ontario...
Surely the volume of salt that would go into the lake from such rare events, would be minimal compared to road salt used in Toronto. Lake Ontario has a huge dilution capacity.

I would assume that they also do not discharge and refresh the tank in one shot, but probably do it on an ongoing basis. But then I know nothing about running an aquarium, so I could be entirely wrong on thst

This topic was discussed on this thread a while ago (last year?). The conclusion was that even if the salt water was directly discharged into Lake Ontario, the amount of salt in the water would be negligible compared to the salt from other sources. Road salt is the most obvious source, but even table salt adds up to far more than would come from the aquarium.

According to cp24 just now, they filled the shark tanks today as a test. Can't find the story online yet though.

Article from CityTV:

Ripley's Aquarium of Canada hit a major milestone Friday as they began filling the 750,000 gallon tank that will house the Shark Lagoon. It's expected to take up to four days to fill the huge tank.

The aquarium will boast the world's longest underwater walkway when it opens next year.

Sharks as long as 10-12 feet will patrol the waters, along with other sea life.

Citytv digital correspondent Graeme O'Neil took a tour of the site.

Watch the attached video for a sneak peak.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...uge-shark-tank-at-ripley-s-aquarium-of-canada

It's hard to believe we're actually getting an aquarium after so many false starts leading back to the 80's. I still would have preferred if the one at Ontario Place had been successful. The base of the CN Tower is a good second prize. It needs new blood to continue to attract tourists and classes of school children.

Back