Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

Well, it is curious that he refers to it as nothing but a brewery, as if anything else about the premises and its background is totally off-radar...

really?? Leon's open already ~ I should make a trip of it !! thanks for the heads up I-42

With the PanAm games won, I inquired my brother who works at the Tower and he said that it's already scheduled to begin construction next Spring. Estimated 20 months of construction.

That's even more certain now that they have a deadline of 2015 to meet.

With the PanAm games won, I inquired my brother who works at the Tower and he said that it's already scheduled to begin construction next Spring. Estimated 20 months of construction.

That's even more certain now that they have a deadline of 2015 to meet.

20 months just to fix up the base? What are they doing?

The whole existing base is being removed and replaced by commercial buildings surrounding the base and the entire existing park is being converted into a plaza. 20 months is pretty fast if you ask me.

I for one am very curious to see the quality of design of those buildings or if they'll just be boxes with flat tops.

Something I just noticed is that the SkyWalk will now be connected directly to the tower via the East buildings.

It would be nice to see something with an interesting roofline when you look down. Though I found Gehry's experience music project / science fiction museum in Seattle really quite bad, I would admit it looked best from up above (distance helps). This would be a good place for a sculptural design, in my opinion.

Seattle47.jpg

The whole existing base is being removed and replaced by commercial buildings surrounding the base and the entire existing park is being converted into a plaza. 20 months is pretty fast if you ask me.

I for one am very curious to see the quality of design of those buildings or if they'll just be boxes with flat tops.

Something I just noticed is that the SkyWalk will now be connected directly to the tower via the East buildings.

I'd rather them leave the grass and trees as they are. There's hardly any green space downtown.

Just emailed the rendering to my brother. He said he's not sure that's what is being built in the Spring. He was just told to expect disruptions in the regular security patterns of the tower because of construction of a new plaza. He's heard nothing about new buildings.

So I'm going to assume that what is happening is that they're reorienting the plaza first and then building the blocks around it once they have tenants -- which is what they're seeking according to the website link in the original post on this thread.

I don't think they'll have trouble finding tenants now that the PanAm games will bring hundreds of thousands of people to the SkyDome and the CN Tower and the general densification of the area will guarantee a steady flow of pedestrian traffic.

I'd rather them leave the grass and trees as they are. There's hardly any green space downtown.

There's a park across the street at the Roundhouse. Regardless, I've never seen anybody use that lawn at all. The lawn closest to the tower is on a steep slope and the one nearest to Bremner just doesn't feel like a good place for a picnic.

If anything, if these buildings are built with flat roofs, the existing gardens surrounding the tower should be replaced and moved to those roofs.

There's a park across the street at the Roundhouse. Regardless, I've never seen anybody use that lawn at all. The lawn closest to the tower is on a steep slope and the one nearest to Bremner just doesn't feel like a good place for a picnic.

If anything, if these buildings are built with flat roofs, the existing gardens surrounding the tower should be replaced and moved to those roofs.

I've never seen anyone use that slope either but it looks nice next to the tower. It offers a nice juxtaposition. I can't picture a plaza outside of the CN Tower being popular anyway.

^ It already is. Go there on a warm Spring or Summer day and you'll find the existing plaza dotted with people. After a game or concert @ the Dome, people usually hang out around the CN Tower and the fish pond.

With commercial properties along the edges of the plaza, I think we'll see even more pedestrian traffic going on.

^ It already is. Go there on a warm Spring or Summer day and you'll find the existing plaza dotted with people. After a game or concert @ the Dome, people usually hang out around the CN Tower and the fish pond.

With commercial properties along the edges of the plaza, I think we'll see even more pedestrian traffic going on.

This would be a great place for a 5 star restaurant like Casey's.

Good idea... although I don't think Casey's is a 5 Star restaurant... lol

Fine dining around the CN Tower at its base would be a good use of the space. If we get creative architects, they can have the buildings either with slanted glass walls or a glass ceiling for amazing views up to the tower while you're dining.

oohh.. I'm getting creative now...

I don't know if the CN Tower can afford a Libeskind but this would be the place for a landmark collection of buildings. New landmark buildings wedged next to two already existing Toronto landmarks.

Imagine a collection of crystals à la ROM lining the sides of the plaza. Using the experience in building the ROM, Libeskind can recreate similar structures on a smaller scale but with glass cladding to allow for views up to the tower.

Back