Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

haha love that you used the word kvetching. The CN tower is bleak no one can argue that, that is because it was built during a period of architecture apply named brutalism. conrete turds. which is great if you love cyber punk semi post apocolyptic settings. Toronto has a chance to redevelop the whole area stretching down to waterfront and stretching east to west from the don valley to ontario place. The aquarium has a great oppurtunity to set the tone as one of the first big developments for the tourism side of things. Follow the tone being set by things like the sound garden and sugar beach. If it just goes the route of cheap and fast, it'll end up like the Gardiner expressway or our roads in general.... an eye soar badly in need of a facelift or demolition.

theres a very considerable diffence between art for the sake of art, and art that focuses on harmonzing funtion with character. and as Tewder stated above its not like we expect unfeasable things that have never been tried before, but it would be nice to see that we can atleast emulate a similar quality and quantity of forethought to that of other city's comparable to ours.

there is an idea in place right now for that very thing that you can see in this link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQiNXXgu4g - unfortunately our current mayor would rather see that area turned into an NFL stadium. something which if you care to read a few economic reports on other NFL stadiums built within city's would like criple us economicaly.

Your smartphone removes about 50 IQ points somehow, maybe you should have it repaired.

No, but this site is more about kvetching than praising. (e.g. the whole 2nd rate aquarium theme in this thread, when no one has a friggin' clue what they plan to showcase in the way of fishies.)

The bottom of the CN Tower is pretty bleak right now -- blue construction fences, tired parkettes -- so this will be a very welcome change.

Pardon our kvetching but City Place Park was a nice change too, but it aint no Millennium Park:

Venue4(1).jpg

... just to add fuel to the fire:

Chicago's aquarium, where they actually thought it appropriate to build on the waterfront... cooky!!

shedd-aquarium-chicago.jpg

shedd_aquarium.jpg

I'm sorry to say but Toronto's waterfront looks absolutely third world in comparison. Maybe the new Eastbay portion will be one step up from 3rd rate to 2nd rate.

Yes, all that planning and all that money and all that time and still it is pretty meh. Sugar Beach is nice but come on!

Toronto's waterfront will maybe approach what Calgary has - and Calgary's waterfront is a river for pete's sake.

It's the States. Very nice areas and very... not-so-nice areas. That's the outcome of wealth concentration.

Just an excuse, Canada has plenty of not so nice areas too. Lived in both countries long enough to know the truth

Yes, all that planning and all that money and all that time and still it is pretty meh. Sugar Beach is nice but come on!

Are you kidding ?

What's so nice about that picture ... okay, it's an aquarium on the water, granted, it seems many of you folks fascinate about that (which I understand to a certain degree). But nothing else in that picture strikes me a great waterfront ... nothing even close.

How can you heave compare that to harbourfront center, you're actually right on the water there. That picture does nothing to convince me there waterfront is any better. Sure I'll agree that they clearly will (and do) have a better aquarium and it happens to be on the water.

Millennium park is great yes. Very few cities have anything approaching that quality. But that's beside the point as were talking about the waterfront here.

I do agree it would be nice for Toronto to have some sort of epic park along those lines but it won't likely happen.

Back