News   Apr 26, 2024
 400     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 195     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 655     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

To be fair to the Nimbys, the area is pretty tight and disjointed. Very narrow streets, very limited on-street parking, tiny sidewalks with no boulevard. Hang around any other school or daycare and what do you see at peak times? Answer: assholes. 'Oh I'll just park here in the middle of the street...it's okay I'll be quick. Sure I *could* park a block away and walk for 60sec, but I'd rather spend 5mins endangering others and ruining traffic'. Now try that in an area where there's isn't someone else's driveway to park in front of (or in), or a sidewalk to straddle. Obviously this is a fine idea, but with 5m road widths things aren't foolproof.

There are plenty of schools in neighbourhoods and streets like this all around Toronto, usually with attatched daycares. They have hundreds more people coming and going everyday. An 80 spot daycare is tiny. There could be no better location than in the middle of a residential neighbourhood where people can safely walk their kids there and pick them up by walking.

Aren't condo daycares usually used by the people that live there hence no car required for drop-off? Just an elevator ride down. Or ones from close by/walking distance such as in the financial district of Toronto? I know some condo owners who talked about the benefit of that.

But in a place like Cabbagetown, I would reckon most would drop off their kids by walking instead of car since it's not close to any major employment area where people drive with their kids from a further area (such as the Kid's and Company at Church n Bloor where I see a decent amount of cars picking up their little ones).
No, there were a lot of people who came by car; they just couldn't park in the street so had to go around to where they were supposed to park.

There are plenty of schools in neighbourhoods and streets like this all around Toronto, usually with attatched daycares. They have hundreds more people coming and going everyday. An 80 spot daycare is tiny. There could be no better location than in the middle of a residential neighbourhood where people can safely walk their kids there and pick them up by walking.

I'm sure opening a new school inside a residential area would elicit similar reactions under the circumstances. Interestingly there's effectively an abandoned school on the same block, one a lot more optimzed for dropoffs, and it actually had a kindergarten/daycare facility (with yard still in place). It's TCDSB. Wonder why they let it remain fallow, or if they'd be interested in opening a private daycare inside today.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 5.49.36 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 5.49.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 5.49.36 PM.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 485
No way, the last two posts have me convinced that some of these people are actually severely mentally ill and psychologically regressed. Send help immediately.

WTF is wrong with people? Go live in a cul-de-sac dumphole in Maple, you tit.

Have you ever see a doctors office? Snotty kids. Seniors. Pregnant women. Not in *my* neighbourhood.

Pregnant women?! I was unaware! I've changed my stance in regards to doctors' offices: only in the suburbs, please. Keep my neighbourhood pregnancy-free, please. We clearly shouldn't be procreating anyway.

Although I laugh at people in Leaside who don't want a homeless shelter on Eglinton Ave yet are the types to vote in Liberals so we can help all (just not in our neighbourhood), I would have to agree with this. I mean even in the burbs, to request a variance to run a huge daycare would likely not work either. I send my 2 young kids to a licensed private home daycare in the Highland Creek Area. It's run by 1 person, who at max takes 5 kids in their near 3000 sq 4 bedroom house. I can't imagine the city allowing it to change to a public daycare with a full staff serving 82 Children (this building doesn't look much bigger than that). Go find a properly zoned building is what I say.

Think of trying to open a large restaurant or bar in the neighbourhood. And no, it's not the same as a shelter. A Daycare is FOR Profit. Why not allow a patio bar? Or a Tim Hortons type operations in a residential neighbourhood? I guess many areas had transitioned before when the rules were different (also notice businesses in residential are near/corner of more major streets), grandfathered in, etc or the houses were built around a commercially zoned business.

These owners tried to get around it by buying a property that would have been much cheaper than the equivalent commercial zoned version of it. Taking a short-cut to maximize their profit without realizing the infrastructure limitation. A 1 lane 1 way street is also a signal that it's not meant for a full scare commercial operation.

Back