News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 824     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

I dislike kids as much as that guy, but this is just stupid.
The sound of kids splashing in their backyard pool is making the wrong kind of waves in Pickering. It began on the first day of summer, when a city worker knocked on Honsberger’s door to notify her of the complaint. A month later, she received another one, this time a formal, written notice, telling Honsberger that “legal action” might be coming.

Ooooo so there might be some legal action. Lets see what law was broken:
The bylaw bans “persistent yelling, hooting, shouting, whistling or singing” that can be heard from inside another’s residence or business after 9 p.m. It carries a maximum penalty of a $5,000 fine.

Hmmm, I thought those kids are supposed to be in bed by 9 pm.
Honsberger is confident the complainant does not have a case if the issue escalates to court — her children do not swim after 9 p.m., she said.

Never mind.

Absolutely ridiculous, I agree. Perhaps the plaintiffs should move to a more isolated property in a remote town instead of living in a city with, you know, people next door?

That neighbour should blast some Cannibal Corpse in the direction of the pool. That will get the kids to run inside in a hurry.

I'm not so sure thievs is nimbyism, but I feel it belongs here:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/08/08/dog-lover-dismayed-by-ban-on-canines-at-u-of-t.html

"Dog lover dismayed by ban on canines at U of T
New owner Ira Bernstein was surprised to discover that dogs are unwelcome on the grounds of certain U of T colleges."

basically, the people who have moved into the new highrise towers ringing u of t have pummelled the area with their dogs' urine and feces, finally leading to the university taking some action. i hate to use the word "entitlement" but, damn, how can you demand that u of t, which predates you by a century, bend to your desire to allow your dog to soil the grounds. maddening.

Of all the NIMBYism in this thread, this has to be the most ridiculous. Yes, even more ridiculous than the pole people. I mean, who the hell complains about kids being in a pool in the middle of a hot summer's afternoon!?

Silly complaint but it will be interesting what happens. The bylaw does not distinguish types of noises....a kid playing in a pool, someone renovating or a drunken party all have the same consequences.

Similar to this I heard a story about speakers near a pool. They pointed away from the house so the entire neighbourhood could hear them and everyone complained (and the person refused to turn down the speakers). So the neighbourhood got together to build a communal compost box in a back yard upwind from the pool (the pool was right beside the property line). The pool owner turned down the music pretty quickly.

Silly complaint but it will be interesting what happens. The bylaw does not distinguish types of noises....a kid playing in a pool, someone renovating or a drunken party all have the same consequences.

Similar to this I heard a story about speakers near a pool. They pointed away from the house so the entire neighbourhood could hear them and everyone complained (and the person refused to turn down the speakers). So the neighbourhood got together to build a communal compost box in a back yard upwind from the pool (the pool was right beside the property line). The pool owner turned down the music pretty quickly.

But it does distinguish a time - after 9pm - long after when these kids have stopped using the pool

Here's another pathetic example of petty complaining over nothing, kinda like the Ajax front yard ice rink case.

Oshawa family facing $250 ticket for basketball net

She said the family first installed the net in the spring after moving to Whistler Dr. last fall. The first complaint from a neighbour came two weeks after they put the net up, and the family has had complaints “literally every day since,” Maciocia said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/08/14/oshawa-family-facing-250-ticket-for-basketball-net.html

From the way I read it this family put the net on the road (the article picture confirms this), and leave it out on the road when it isn't in use. Seems like grounds for a legitimate complaint to me.

They say the kid likes basketball but they don't seem to be willing/able to put a net up on their property for it.

Last edited:
Reading that Oshawa story in more detail, I would be more apt to sympathize with all the neighbors than the family portrayed as victims by the Star.

It doesn't seem to be solely about playing basketball on the street, but rather about leaving the net on the street, which blocked some vehicles from passing through. Oshawa's director of law enforcement cited a case where the people playing basketball were the cause of some damage to a trailer being pulled through that street. Not to mention noise complaints from neighbors, loud parties, renovations without permits, garbage left out for extended periods of time, and numerous cars parked in front of their house, even blocking the snowplow in winter.

Last edited:

Back