Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: EY Tower | 188.05m | 40s | Oxford Properties | Kohn Pedersen Fox

When this building to be finished with the underground PATH? I am taking an unit in Indx next door and wondering when the PATH can be ready to connect from Indx.

I suspect it will be a while yet. Typically the PATH connections are the last item to be constructed. Tunneling for the PATH connection between INDX and the Ernst & Young Tower, the newest building in the Richmond Adelaide complex, may only start after both it and INDX have been substantially completed.

PATH connections are often a challenge to construct, as the excavation process has to work around, and sometimes relocate, the under street services. After the tunnel has been dug, there is still quite a lot of work to prepare floor, walls, ceiling of the tunnel, along with the electrical services, lighting, fire detection and alarm systems, ventilation, doors, etc.

So, while the Ernst & Young building itself should be connected quite quickly to the PATH, that is only a within the Richmond Adelaide Centre complex connection. Linking up the INDX building may take a lot longer to completed. My wild guess - without any direct knowledge of the developer's plans - at least one year from now, and if it is actually completed and open within two years from now, that would be doing well.

Well, no tunnel was dug which suggests they haven't completed the process of getting agreement from all the building owners, land owners, mortgage holders, bond holders, other security holders, the city, any utilities that run under the street and sidewalks between the two, so I would expect it would take some time.
Is the extension from 130 Adelaide to 120 and 100 (EY Tower) started?. It's on the Path map for future walkways. And have completed buildings ever added Path, it seem pretty difficult and expensive and maybe it's not even part of Indx's plans anymore with it not on the path map. But hopefully it eventually happens

Connection to the PATH was definitely in the marketing pitch for the INDX condominiums - hard to see how the developer could walk away from it. Yes - PATH connections have been made between completed buildings - one example is the connection from Commerce Court to Scotia Plaza, which was done quite a while after Scotia Plaza had been completed - the delay resulted from Campeau Corporation's bankruptcy after they had purchased Federated Department Stores. Also, the connection between TD Centre and Commerce Court was after the buildings had originally been completed - which is why the workaround of the enclosed column is in the middle of the walkway just outside the doors to the CIBC building. Just two examples which come quickly to mind.

And yes - they both took a very long time to complete.

Connection to the PATH was definitely in the marketing pitch for the INDX condominiums - hard to see how the developer could walk away from it. Yes - PATH connections have been made between completed buildings - one example is the connection from Commerce Court to Scotia Plaza, which was done quite a while after Scotia Plaza had been completed - the delay resulted from Campeau Corporation's bankruptcy after they had purchased Federated Department Stores. Also, the connection between TD Centre and Commerce Court was after the buildings had originally been completed - which is why the workaround of the enclosed column is in the middle of the walkway just outside the doors to the CIBC building. Just two examples which come quickly to mind.

I remember it being part of there marketing pitch although a lot of the times it would come with a warning stating the path extension still had to get approved and was up to the city of Toronto. I was aware of the older financial district towers which added path but I should of specified in saying if any newer towers during the condo boom eventually added Path

DSC_6728-4.jpg
DSC_6831.jpg
DSC_6844.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_6728-4.jpg
    DSC_6728-4.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 804
  • DSC_6831.jpg
    DSC_6831.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 774
  • DSC_6844.jpg
    DSC_6844.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 794
I suspect it will be a while yet. Typically the PATH connections are the last item to be constructed. Tunneling for the PATH connection between INDX and the Ernst & Young Tower, the newest building in the Richmond Adelaide complex, may only start after both it and INDX have been substantially completed.

PATH connections are often a challenge to construct, as the excavation process has to work around, and sometimes relocate, the under street services. After the tunnel has been dug, there is still quite a lot of work to prepare floor, walls, ceiling of the tunnel, along with the electrical services, lighting, fire detection and alarm systems, ventilation, doors, etc.

So, while the Ernst & Young building itself should be connected quite quickly to the PATH, that is only a within the Richmond Adelaide Centre complex connection. Linking up the INDX building may take a lot longer to completed. My wild guess - without any direct knowledge of the developer's plans - at least one year from now, and if it is actually completed and open within two years from now, that would be doing well.

Please see link for the concourse layout.

http://www.100asw.com/building/plans-and-specs/

The EY Tower will connect day 1 to the PATH. When you go north into the Richmond Adelaide Centre it will be an immediate right (before the drug store).

They are not planning to have a connection to the residential building (yet). There is a provision to have a PATH connection along Adelaide (towards the small building with the Timmies on the main floor) but not towards the residential one. I'm guessing the residential will connect north since the other buildings in the Richmond Adelaide complex are older and probably not built with future PATH connections in mind (?)

I don't think Bell will/can move its equipment in the building east of the Timmies building so I'm guessing there will be no future development there.

It was well into the 90s before the Scotia-Commerce Court connection was built. Prior to that, we used to use our Metropasses to cut through the subway station in bad weather.

Glad to hear that the internal connection of E&Y Tower to the PATH will be open from Day 1 of occupancy.

With regard to the INDX building, when my wife and I visited the marketing suite, we were told that the INDX connection to the PATH would be via the new building to come in the south-east corner of the Richmond Adelaide Centre - at that time Ernst & Yonge had not yet been signed as the lead tenant.

A further clarification on costs - while the City has to approve and issue permits for the construction of the tunnel, my understanding is that the connection itself would be paid for by the parties involved, not the City. I would suspect that in this case, given the benefits of the connection would be primarily for the residents of the INDX tower, the majority, if not the entire cost of the tunnel would be on the INDX development team.

If I recall correctly, the connection between Commerce Court North and Scotia Plaza, which had been delayed by the Campeau bankruptcy, ultimately ended up being funded in its entirety by Commerce Court (which I believe was still owned by CIBC at the time).

A further clarification on costs - while the City has to approve and issue permits for the construction of the tunnel, my understanding is that the connection itself would be paid for by the parties involved, not the City. I would suspect that in this case, given the benefits of the connection would be primarily for the residents of the INDX tower, the majority, if not the entire cost of the tunnel would be on the INDX development team.

Not just the city - EVERYONE with an interest in the land at either end of the tunnels and the street it goes under has to agree.

Glad to hear that the internal connection of E&Y Tower to the PATH will be open from Day 1 of occupancy.

With regard to the INDX building, when my wife and I visited the marketing suite, we were told that the INDX connection to the PATH would be via the new building to come in the south-east corner of the Richmond Adelaide Centre - at that time Ernst & Yonge had not yet been signed as the lead tenant.

If I recall correctly, the connection between Commerce Court North and Scotia Plaza, which had been delayed by the Campeau bankruptcy, ultimately ended up being funded in its entirety by Commerce Court (which I believe was still owned by CIBC at the time).

EY Tower is having the ramp into its parking garage on the NE corner of the building. The PATH connection to INDX will eventually be on the very south end of EY Tower (Day 1 will be 7 parking spots). INDX would have to temporarily close Sheppard (the small street between it and the EY Tower) and create a PATH connection that is fairly long. So unless the building promised the connection it won't happen due to the cost (guessing $10M+). Unless of course the condo owners decide to increase the maintenance fee to pay for it.

INDX probably did the bait and switch. It would happen IF the building south of it was torn down and replace AND IF this fictional new building connected to the EY Tower

Back