Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: EY Tower | 188.05m | 40s | Oxford Properties | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Wow, and I don't usually say this, terribly disappointing, also its very non-reflective unlike most of the other new towers that have went up, that in it self may be interesting, but not this tint ..

I walked by it today to see for myself. Must say that it is too clear for my liking, definitely wish/ hope that it will appear more mirrored. On the bright side it is definitely a different colour than the towers east of it. It is quite green. I'm gonna hope for the best. It's still very early to judge the effect. At least it's different.

The spandrel panel at the floor slab is quite disappointing as other recent project in Toronto have followed those internationally by losing it.

June 6

They have stated placing the concrete blocks that will support the old face and could be going up next month.

Some of the columns are on an angle.

Will have to wait to see more of the glazing to have a say on it.

More up on site
18587709902_cb8e6571a2_b.jpg

18406109109_df05454a88_b.jpg

18404461458_65446dd16d_b.jpg

18406150799_ed9dd8565c_b.jpg

17971701563_f6bfcf3f0d_b.jpg

17969725574_6014cf9d77_b.jpg

18404729120_220f4ff3bd_b.jpg

When I walked by, the greeness just seemed to be due to the green covering (which looks temporary) on the perpendicular elements (facing inward from the buildings external wall - don't know the technical name). So far, I am really hopeful about this building.

Officedweller and Mr. Tang I sure hope you're right! We were promised something refreshingly different with the white glass renders - I really hope this isn't a bait and switch. I guess we'll see in a few months!

Anyone up for asking one of the construction workers if the greeness is indeed due to a protective covering?

Yeah I think that the whiteness on the renderings is just a portrayal of the reflectiveness of the surface.
But on the upper levels, I don't expect the level of transparency seen for the lobby glass.

And be careful what you wish for - "white" glass would read as "cheap" light coloured spandrel panels.

Yeah I think that the whiteness on the renderings is just a portrayal of the reflectiveness of the surface.
But on the upper levels, I don't expect the level of transparency seen for the lobby glass.

And be careful what you wish for - "white" glass would read as "cheap" light coloured spandrel panels.

You may be right. Sigh... oh well, I'll postpone judgement until it's finished, but my enthusiasm has been tempered.

The one bonus of not having the white is that the white FCP is right next door... too much of the same color in a single area is sometimes not ideal (unless part of a single vision like the TD Centre.)

White glass can be achieved through fritting, as has been done at River City 2, where it looks amazing, and certainly not cheap.

Dismissing the wonderful architecture and how London is so far and away better then our skyscrapers, the glass IS quite striking (both in pictures and in real life).

It's kinda funny. As an ex-Londoner, all I hear from my friends back in the UK is how much they hate all the new skyscrapers. Some people are never happy.

As for EY Tower, in person the glass does not look green, at least to my eyes. The coating on the frames is giving that impression in the photos.

Back