Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

Last edited:
Unless plans have significantly changed, there will be no north-facing units. The north side of the building will be a glass facade for the elevator shafts: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-21943.pdf (see top of page 7 of the report)

You misread it. The elevator will be on the north side, but it only takes up a small portion of the building. This area will not have windows, but both sides of the elevator core will have windows for the units in those areas.

You misread it. The elevator will be on the north side, but it only takes up a small portion of the building. This area will not have windows, but both sides of the elevator core will have windows for the units in those areas.

Oh my... given that some residential will be north-facing, I would hope the north-facing windows would be for 'secondary rooms' such as bedrooms, with living quarters (living room/kitchen space) facing University or Simcoe. Having an entirely north-facing unit in this building, on a lower floor, would be a 'dog suite' in my opinion.

It sometimes surprises me how Toronto planners have allowed some condo units to be boxed in with little light or view. Either initially or subsequently, via new adjacent construction. I'm sure we can all think of examples.

Yeah, but 50% of those north units will also have east views and the other half west views.

Most of the building looks good in all of these renders, but the heritage part looks so awkward. As if the building on top was forever about to squash the RCMI with its foot.

RCMI_Nov-09.jpg

It sometimes surprises me how Toronto planners have allowed some condo units to be boxed in with little light or view. Either initially or subsequently, via new adjacent construction. I'm sure we can all think of examples.

The view for some north-facing owners might be less than spectacular but I have no problem with buildings being packed together like this. All that means is that those units will end up being more affordable than others, which isn't a terrible thing for anybody except the developer.

Additionally, I appreciate that this tower will help create a strong streetwall along University.

Planning staff recommended the proposal be refused. Adam Vaughan voted in support of the tower against the advice of the planning department and the rest of council followed the lead of the local councillor as they typically do on most planning related votes.

Most of the building looks good in all of these renders, but the heritage part looks so awkward. As if the building on top was forever about to squash the RCMI with its foot.

I am in complete agreement. Here's hoping that the engineering is insufficient to keep the first two floors standing, and that someday the whole thing, after a giant cracking sound, settles comfortably two floors shorter. Some broken glass on higher floors would be a small price to pay to eradicate the laughing stock attempt at historic preservation here.

This is a textbook example of how not to save a city's past: when an historic facade is preserved, the intention is to retain some of the city's former beauty, dignity, and memory. This particular solution reduces all of that to a bureaucratic joke, and quite a bad one too.

Very nice tower though, one of Zeidler's cleanest, best designs in years.

where's the presentation centre SpadinaBus ? is there anything from their brouchure that you can share ?? ;)

Solaris,
The "brochure" was very minimal - the suite floor plans, a typical features sheet and a price list (see my previous post #421). My first impression was not that good overall. For the price, the floorplans of the suites were very basic and cramped. There was five general suite sizes being offered, with 2 variants, for a total of 10 suite names. I hope the future releases of the bigger suites are better designed (assuming they will have bigger suites). The issue is the floorplate for each floor, is small to begin with.

One thing that did impress me was how they rendered a full floor to ceiling glass in the corner suites (two walls of glass viewing the City). This was impressive but came with a pricetag of the most expensive suites being offered (one bedroom +den at 763sqft). The rest of the one bedrooms are suites you can find anywhere. Nothing special. Who needs Zeidler if the floor plans, the places people actually live, are crap and the exterior attractive. Our priorties are screwed up.

The other thing missing here is a sense of neighbourhood on University. Pretty dreary with not much hope in the future.

The other thing missing here is a sense of neighbourhood on University. Pretty dreary with not much hope in the future.

From the RCMI promo video

RCMI2.jpg

IMO- this building has the sleekness/size of Crystal Blu and the design of 1BE (in a way.. the balconies/glass look similar coloured)!

I honestly hope this one gets built!... University needs some height (IMO)...

University Ave is a really cool street... It's like a grand boulevard!

:)

Solaris,

I guess it depends on what you look for in a "neighbourhood".

It is a five minute walk to Yonge and Dundas... and the Canon Theatre... and AMC 24

It is a ten minute walk to the Princess of Wales Theatre... and some good restaurants.

It is a three minute walk from Nota Bene, the best restaurant in Toronto.

It is a 2 minute walk from the Four Seasons Ballet.

It is a 20 minute walk from the St. Lawrence, and Yorkville.

You have a Longos and a Kitchen Table within 5 minutes walk.

You have Queen Street West to walk around.

Seems like a better neighbourhood than a barren suburban neighbourhood where the closest corner store is a 45 minute walk...

oh yeah... forgot these... AGO is around the corner... skating at Nathan Phillips Square (soon!)... parks...

Last edited:
^^^^^ nice observations :)

I guess Solaris means "distinct character" when he said neighbourhood... (let's not start an argument like the BSN thread ;) )

University Ave is just a larger version of a typical downtown street...

With the exception that it has greenery running through it and that it's a major street...

University isn't the MOST exciting street/area/neighbourhood, but it is certainly cool!

University Ave FTW! :D

Back