Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

it says it will be in place by noon on Saturday - so I'm guessing tonight/tomorrow morning

Working down there you really get the sense that the streetscape south of Front Street in Toronto is really built on a large inhuman car scale. The lights are timed extra long in favour of the cars and off-ramps. The roads are super wide and the whole thing just makes pedestrians feel like they shouldn't be walking around. Feels like north Mississauga or something. The sidewalks have gotten wider and there's more cafes and restaurants, but there's still this overwhelming feeling like you're walking down the shoulder of a highway, not in Downtown Toronto. It's really unfortunate and I don't know if it can ever be truly remedied on roads like lower Bay, lower Spadina, Lower Simcoe, Lower Yonge St etc. Hurray 1950s planning philosophy!

I've long felt the same way. Every time I walk around south of the tracks, I feel rather nervous about the vehicular traffic. The sidewalks definitely give me the impression of being grudgingly tacked onto the all-important roads, and of course having to cross the Lakeshore doesn't help.

I've long felt the same way. Every time I walk around south of the tracks, I feel rather nervous about the vehicular traffic. The sidewalks definitely give me the impression of being grudgingly tacked onto the all-important roads, and of course having to cross the Lakeshore doesn't help.

It reminds me of LA"s financial district.

Bringing down the off ramps to York-Bay-Yonge from the Gardiner will go a long way to making the area more pedestrian-friendly.

Working down there you really get the sense that the streetscape south of Front Street in Toronto is really built on a large inhuman car scale. The lights are timed extra long in favour of the cars and off-ramps. The roads are super wide and the whole thing just makes pedestrians feel like they shouldn't be walking around. Feels like north Mississauga or something. The sidewalks have gotten wider and there's more cafes and restaurants, but there's still this overwhelming feeling like you're walking down the shoulder of a highway, not in Downtown Toronto. It's really unfortunate and I don't know if it can ever be truly remedied on roads like lower Bay, lower Spadina, Lower Simcoe, Lower Yonge St etc. Hurray 1950s planning philosophy!

Wide streets are the norm in big cities around the world. Most of Toronto's are unusually narrow.

How is the PATH going to clear the off ramp at Harbour Street. The ramp is still a bit elevated at that point. Does the PATH go over it?

It does clear it sufficiently that anything less than a dump truck with its bucket raised will pass under it no problem.

Speaking of connections, maybe I'm late to the party and everyone already knows this, but RBC WaterPark Place has been completely connected to the 10 & 20 Bay Street towers (where I work) with a large atrium. They're completely integrated and connected. We'll share a common food court and the underground parking lot has also been connected. They cut through the underground retaining walls of 10 & 20 Bay to connect them (isn't that kind of a big project?) I'll be able to enter 10 Bay (off of Queens Quay) and drive underground into WPP. That's kinda crazy. I hope there's enough parking for all the new high rollers who will no doubt have company parking. Might make the commute home a bit busier. I now, ironically stare out the window at the glass that I thought was so cheap. It is cheap, but the grass roof is kinda snazzy. Grass roofs are so hot right now.

I can assure you your building isn't that important. The high rollers are safe at Royal Bank Plaza. I'm sure they'll make the trip down there for opening day though.

For the Canadian Banking Operations, yes.

I'm curious about the water levels thing. If that area is so saturated with water that they can't build a small pedestrian tunnel through it, then how is it stable enough to build huge 50+ storey skyscrapers on? How is it firm enough to support the Gardiner? I get that they could build a foundation to keep the water out of a building, but how can then even build buildings like this on water-logged ground?

Back