News   Apr 24, 2024
 38     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.8K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 577     0 

Toronto Ravine Strategy

In a report to the May 25 meeting of Infrastructure and Environment Ctte we learn all the nothing has been done to deliver the Ravine Strategy over the last 3 years.

I will dissect below, but first the report:

Soooo, the report starts with lots back patting about all the great accomplishments...............I will offer my take in red:

This report provides the first three-year update to City Council on advancement of the
Ravine Strategy and an update on the implementation of key next steps including:

• Accomplishments towards the Ravine Strategy guiding principles and actions,
and achievements to date in ravine restoration and management, and capital
coordination and delivery

Nothing, endless talk, mostly in-house

• The strategic advancement of Toronto's Ravine Campaign, including the Loop
Trail, InTO the Ravines, and recommendations for the Ravine Campaign
Leadership Table

The eyeroll here is huge; hey, in fairness they've spent 2 years getting to the point of recommending closing the Humber Gap, that is something, assuming they actually implement their own report.

Since 2020, the Ravine Strategy has achieved:
• 720 hectares of land managed for invasive species

The polite statement here is Hogwash; let me add, City crews do not know how to properly apply pesticide (as in effectively), and their achievements here aren't far from nil.

• 252 tonnes garbage and metal removed from 333 hectares of ravine land

Sure, that's nice, we were doing litter and dumping removal before.......but have we made any of the changes that would reduce it happening in the first place? (answer: No)

• 42 students engaged through paid employment and training and mentorship
programs
• 96 outdoor and virtual events for Ravine Days
• more than 6,200 participants in in-person and virtual City and partner events and
programs

Virtual events, meaning teaching people basic tree ID or bird Identification, that's swell, doesn't really improve the ravines any....

• $47.9 million from partners (committed and submitted applications) from the federal
and provincial governments

Not expended...........one project approved last spring, was meant to happen last year.................still waiting...

Ok.....backpatting addressed..........what's next?

Oh...this bit, LOL

In 2021, a pilot program was launched with Toronto Nature Stewards, following City
Council direction to use their Manual for Stewardship in Public Ravines and Natural
Areas as a model for unsupervised volunteerism in Toronto's ravines. Through the
development of key criteria for site selection, work activities, and health and safety
considerations, Toronto Nature Stewards delivered a successful program in its
inaugural year through the reporting of robust key performance indicators. At the time of
writing this report, PFR and TNS are planning for a significant expansion of the program
for the 2022 season.

For the record, the City has made this effort by volunteers as painful as possible, they won't allow any work by volunteers inside ESAs (Environmentally Sensitive Areas) which comprise a large chunk of the ravine system, reserving that work
to the City/TRCA who then proceed to do very little, mostly badly.

They also won't let the Nature Stewards plant anything............ pffft.

There's a great deal more blather..........

The only useful bit might be at attempt to attract philanthropic support, at scale for some initiatives........

It amazes me that a department can so aptly demonstrate that it does know how to wisely use public funds; and that it can't even be bothered bragging about the projects it is implementing as this offends
their natural inclination to secrecy.

Last edited:
UT has a Front Page story up on a Ravine Strategy funding announcement.

A great deal of the announcement is regurgitation of previous commitments and six of the seven bullet points have nothing to do with ecological restoration or enhancement.

The majority being trail work (of which I approve); some erosion-management work, and way-finding signage.

Though they did manage to cluster six 'ecological projects' in one bullet point.

At least, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one for now; as I'm only aware of the details on the 'Cudmore' project with the others being more opaque. I will put in some queries and see if any of them amount
to anything interesting.

Back