Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Any idea what this project is about?

PXL_20210626_193923957.jpg

PXL_20210626_193916440.jpg

Not sure if these barges are related.
PXL_20210626_193632642.jpg

Is this forum where I would find out if they are planing anything for in front of Redpath factory on the waterfront. We were there a couple of weeks ago and walking along the waterfront is such a zig zag walk its almost silly on how you have to walk to the main road to go around Redpath and even further down you have to walk thru a parking lot to go around again. First are they going to do anything waterside of Redpath company. Secondly when are they going to start making bridges connecting the open areas of the water basins.

Is this forum where I would find out if they are planing anything for in front of Redpath factory on the waterfront. We were there a couple of weeks ago and walking along the waterfront is such a zig zag walk its almost silly on how you have to walk to the main road to go around Redpath and even further down you have to walk thru a parking lot to go around again. First are they going to do anything waterside of Redpath company. Secondly when are they going to start making bridges connecting the open areas of the water basins.

There is no real plan - it's a private, pre-existing industrial use. There are safety and regulatory reasons as to why you can't have a promenade along the edge of the water there.

Haven't heard anything about the bridges - I suspect the first one to go in will actually be the one over at Parliament slip, where there is no existing community opposition.

AoD

There is no real plan - it's a private, pre-existing industrial use. There are safety and regulatory reasons as to why you can't have a promenade along the edge of the water there.

Haven't heard anything about the bridges - I suspect the first one to go in will actually be the one over at Parliament slip, where there is no existing community opposition.

AoD
Figures I guess. Thats unfortunate because it definatley takes away from the waterfront and with the way it looks to locals and tourists. Shocking really because I was quite disapointed in the walk along the waterfront, revitalization is well overdue and that is a serious understatement. Thanks for the info.

I love the Redpath Sugar Factory there. It's historic. It's a welcome break from the condos, condos, condos along the lake. Seeing the huge ships that come in to unload their sugar is super fun for kids. I think it's wonderful. I hope its there for many years to come.

Figures I guess. Thats unfortunate because it definatley takes away from the waterfront and with the way it looks to locals and tourists. Shocking really because I was quite disapointed in the walk along the waterfront, revitalization is well overdue and that is a serious understatement. Thanks for the info.

Do keep in mind, Redpath's streetscape is temporary. When the new LRT goes in, this area will see considerable beautification.

While that doesn't address your zig-zag issue; to the extent that problem is remedied elsewhere (and it will be), this one turnout to the road will not be a material negative for most people.

I love the Redpath Sugar Factory there. It's historic. It's a welcome break from the condos, condos, condos along the lake. Seeing the huge ships that come in to unload their sugar is super fun for kids. I think it's wonderful. I hope its there for many years to come.
Thanks, will have to check that out, we are mostly there on weekends so I am thinking that is mostly during the week.

I love that Redpath is there, but I do agree the zig-zagging (west of Bay) is a bit annoying. I don't see them building bridges to alleviate the issue though. Here's hoping eastwards from Sugar Beach it'll be a nice walking path all the way to the future Promontory Park and area.

Thanks, will have to check that out, we are mostly there on weekends so I am thinking that is mostly during the week.
Apart from the middle of winter there is usually a sugar ship here every week or 10 days and they are usually unloading for 3-4 days. Not sure weekend or weekday makes much difference.

I would love to see the current Redpath factory gone. I hate the heavy industrial presence that the Redpath factory brings. Surely they could operate elsewhere, well out of the central waterfront. But I'd want to keep the large industrial buildings and create a civic space instead. An art gallery, a museum, an event space, etc. This would really activate the area.

Back