Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Honestly one doesn't need to be educated on jaywalking - they have been taught since they're a kid. Seeing someone getting ticketed for jaywalking on the other hand will educate them that the cops are watching, and they can be the ones getting dinged next time (it not ever happening is the reason behind the fact that no one follows that rule).

AoD

I biked down to QQ this morning. There is a very new element to all these new biking ROWs. If we assume everyone is at QQ to poke around, then why not dawdle and run into the bike path? If the bike path is all of a sudden, a bike "road", then that is something else together. It really does not help that the pedestrian signal activators are on the LRT ROW side. Even if you are law abiding, you have had to traverse the bike path one way or another. This is a very different bike path than found elsewhere in the city.

I biked down to QQ this morning. There is a very new element to all these new biking ROWs. If we assume everyone is at QQ to poke around, then why not dawdle and run into the bike path? If the bike path is all of a sudden, a bike "road", then that is something else together. It really does not help that the pedestrian signal activators are on the LRT ROW side. Even if you are law abiding, you have had to traverse the bike path one way or another. This is a very different bike path than found elsewhere in the city.
I biked today also along QQ. I was going quite slowly because of one member of my group who is NOT fast. I used to get angry at the pedestrians that wandered in the bike path, but going really slowly, I realized just how subtle all the markings are. I think many of them are tourists who just do not understand how the street works. The design is just too subtle to be safe.

Honestly one doesn't need to be educated on jaywalking - they have been taught since they're a kid. Seeing someone getting ticketed for jaywalking on the other hand will educate them that the cops are watching, and they can be the ones getting dinged next time (it not ever happening is the reason behind the fact that no one follows that rule).

AoD

Exactly. One guy slowed down, then went around all the stopped bikes and ran the red anyway. One of the cops shouted: "It's red!!" and his face was "oh shit, I got caught". The cop let him go. That guy didn't need to be educated, he knew what he had done was wrong. He needed a ticket so he would think twice before doing it again.

Exactly. One guy slowed down, then went around all the stopped bikes and ran the red anyway. One of the cops shouted: "It's red!!" and his face was "oh shit, I got caught". The cop let him go. That guy didn't need to be educated, he knew what he had done was wrong. He needed a ticket so he would think twice before doing it again.

That's way too easy - he should be ticketed and made an example of - and I am sure the word will get passed around that it isn't a BS zone. Like honestly, who runs a red and gets away without a ticket?

AoD

That seems like overkill to be honest. Markham had the same problem with the BRT setup at Cedarland and Town Centre, and they solved it by painting the bus lanes red, painting "BUS ONLY" in big letters on the pavement, and using double-lines with arrows to guide drivers to the proper lane. Even just moving all the "do not enter" signs so they aren't beside the lane you're meant to drive in would be a nice start

UQBlW6H.png

YMm0DTc.png

Markham had the same problem with the BRT setup at Cedarland and Town Centre, and they solved it by painting the bus lanes red, painting "BUS ONLY" in big letters on the pavement, and using double-lines with arrows to guide drivers to the proper lane.

Them and pretty much every other major city on the planet. This is clearly effective. Toronto is backwards is so many ways and this is just another example.

Even just moving all the "do not enter" signs so they aren't beside the lane you're meant to drive in would be a nice start

UQBlW6H.png

Put like this it does look awfully dopey. But hung over the streetcar ROW would be a lot of terrible visual clutter in a place which is meant to be a great promenade.

That seems like overkill to be honest. Markham had the same problem with the BRT setup at Cedarland and Town Centre, and they solved it by painting the bus lanes red, painting "BUS ONLY" in big letters on the pavement, and using double-lines with arrows to guide drivers to the proper lane. Even just moving all the "do not enter" signs so they aren't beside the lane you're meant to drive in would be a nice start

UQBlW6H.png

YMm0DTc.png

You have the "DO NOT ENTER" above the "KEEP LEFT" sign!

220px-Zeichen_267.svg.png

vinyl-decal-sticker-8957.jpg
What could go wrong? Plenty! Could only be laid out as above by a bureaucrat following the letter of the law. At least move the "DO NOT ENTER" next to the rightmost streetcar tracks, not the leftmost.

They should have something like this every intersection:

FRW471.jpg

They already using a RR crossing diamond where Queens Quay crosses the tracks.

They should have something like this every intersection:

FRW471.jpg

They already using a RR crossing diamond where Queens Quay crosses the tracks.
They should also put in railroad crossing lifts at them too or maybe just gates and have them down unless the light changes to allow people to cross the right of way.

They could use artificial turf on the streetcar right-of-way, so that the fire trucks can still drive on them. Especially if the works department is that afraid (very afraid) of real grass.
I have yet to see them drive on the ROW.

Put like this it does look awfully dopey. But hung over the streetcar ROW would be a lot of terrible visual clutter in a place which is meant to be a great promenade.

If the Queens Quay brain trust still believe that more signage is the solution to everything, then how about a sign that simply bans all vehicular movements. You see, if cars are not allowed to move at all then there will be no more collisions or streetcar encroachment!

19.jpg

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 599

Back