Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

It really upsets me to see new pavement patched (badly) and looking like hell. I hope that the asphalt re-cap - when done - is a first class job. I saw Rees on the weekend last week and I almost choked. Barely twelve months after it was paved....

The patch has to be allowed to stay awhile as the subsoil underneath settles and compacts down. Same reason, driveways in new subdivisions shouldn't be paved for a year or two.

The patch will be dug up later and given a better patch later.

It really upsets me to see new pavement patched (badly) and looking like hell. I hope that the asphalt re-cap - when done - is a first class job. I saw Rees on the weekend last week and I almost choked. Barely twelve months after it was paved....
It was always known that this would be happening as Hydro (for reasons I do not know - though maybe connected to the work on the Copeland Transformer Station adjacent) could not finish off all their work before the Pan Am Games last year. WT made the decision (right in my opinion) to 'finish off' QQ - even if only for a year. I am sure it will all be fixed properly again once the earth compacts enough to make a permanent repair possible.

It was always known that this would be happening as Hydro (for reasons I do not know - though maybe connected to the work on the Copeland Transformer Station adjacent) could not finish off all their work before the Pan Am Games last year. WT made the decision (right in my opinion) to 'finish off' QQ - even if only for a year. I am sure it will all be fixed properly again once the earth compacts enough to make a permanent repair possible.

If they don't, I am sure they will be getting some exposure/ridicule on this thread.

AoD

Given the patchwork elsewhere in the city, I don't hold out any great hope. I'd prefer to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

... they've also have know torn up some of the interlock too. Cyclists are forced to detour to the marine station then back up.

I wish I could share your optimism, but past experience suggests utility cuts are generally never properly repaired in Toronto. For that matter, why would we assume this would be the only utility cut there? Even if this cut is eventually properly repaired, there will be lots more, unless there is something unique about the waterfront. Is QQ different because WT is responsible rather than the City?

I wish I could share your optimism, but past experience suggests utility cuts are generally never properly repaired in Toronto. For that matter, why would we assume this would be the only utility cut there? Even if this cut is eventually properly repaired, there will be lots more, unless there is something unique about the waterfront. Is QQ different because WT is responsible rather than the City?
I share your apprehension but I think WT are still responsible for finishing off QQ so they should get it looking OK again fairly soon - they seem to make more of an effort. Once the City takes over I agree it's going to be a struggle.

Given the patchwork elsewhere in the city, I don't hold out any great hope. I'd prefer to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

Last summer sidewalks on St Clair W around Oakwood were cut up by utilities pretty bad, and they're doing the proper sidewalk concrete pours this week. Not too bad of a time-frame.

Maybe you could send them down my way where there are patches that range between five and ten years old.

Last summer sidewalks on St Clair W around Oakwood were cut up by utilities pretty bad, and they're doing the proper sidewalk concrete pours this week. Not too bad of a time-frame.
Ditto in my neighbourhood. And the utility patches on the roads are all marked up ready for a permanent solution.

I think some people perhaps expect the entire road to be repaved. Obviously that won't happen!

I'm talking about patches in the sidewalk which create trip hazards as well as being unattractive. They also make it difficult for people in wheelchairs. There are numerous examples in my area that have been left as is since before I moved here 10 years ago.

Odd - they typically do any outstanding ones every every summer here. Which ward are you in. Have you phoned 311?

Back