Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Perhaps, but road sign overload is an issue IMO.

We should try to solve things through intuitive design first, signage second. A sign, in many ways, should be considered an admission of failure.

6728622393_aba75b08b3_b.jpg

Reactions: PL1
I've heard so many people say "I didn't see the sign" when asked why they turned left on a no left, or right on a no right, or whatever. I don't know, did you even look?

But yes, that example above of over-signage is far too common, which is why I disagree with those who say we need more signs on QQ!

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs ... (you're welcome for the earworm)

Perhaps, but road sign overload is an issue IMO.

We should try to solve things through intuitive design first, signage second. A sign, in many ways, should be considered an admission of failure.

I agree.

I've said it before, the way we baby drivers by telling them (via signs and pavement markings) where they should stop, where they should turn, where they should drive, where they should not be, how fast they should go, etc. is exactly the reason why Queens Quay has been the mess that it is.

Drivers need to pay attention and be more observant for themselves. Essentially, drivers are being turned into zombies by having every move and every action given to them. We are licensed for a reason, and that is to ensure that we are aware of how to operate a vehicle in this Province. If people cannot figure things out on their own, then why do we bother with licensing? Might as well just put signs up for everything and let people do their own thing.

Took my 1970 Triumph for a ride 7am this morning, from Gardiner down Spadina to Queens Quay. Followed an American family (lots about for Caribana). The driver approached the intersection and was obviously confused, and for the first time I considered it from a newcomer's POV and IMO it's in lacking in providing clear instruction to the driver. The driver this morning after hesitation turned left from Spadina onto the west bound streetcar track. I matched her speed eastward on the correct roadspace beside her and honked my horn and gestured that she needs to move out. Seeing my strange machine, yellow vest and white helmet I wondered afterward if she thought I was a copper. Either way she drove out of the ROW and pulled over northward onto a side street. Crisis averted (westbound streetcar soon passed same spot) I carried on my way.

There simply should be no way to drive a car onto the streetcar ROW. All you need is all weather bollards that retract when a TTC or emergency vehicle approaches.

Actually, now that I think about it... why isn't there simply a curb along the ROW on QQ at Spadina, or even permanent bollards?

It's not like there is a driveway there that needs access. It's the lake. Bikes and pedestrians can get through the bollards, and EMS and Fire can simply hop the existing curbs to the East or West of the intersection.

Edit: K, that was a stupid suggestion. Completely forgot streetcars need to get through. LOL

I don't like the idea of all that spilled motor oil. I think a gate would be easier to install/maintain.

Back