Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The transit signal priority at Queen's Quay and Spadina was, in fact, functioning by about 10 PM this evening--the 510 turn phase was only occurring with a streetcar present, otherwise it was just switching between north/south and east/west. The loop had the turn phase happening every cycle, but the complex intersection/multiple turns there mean a couple of other signals are active at the same time so there's really no difference whether or not the streetcar turn signal goes or not.

WT said that they were starting to pull transit priority cabling on 7th and that it would be operational on 16/17. I assumed this meant it would all be switched on at once, maybe they are activating it block by block?

 "TTC Transit Priority cabling: Crews will begin to pull the TTC Transit priority cables along TTC Corridor and the full length of the Queens Quay Revitalization project site from Bay Street west to Yo-Yo Ma Lane. Crews will begin this work on Sunday, June 7 at 9pm" and "NOTE: Transit signal priority will be activated June 16 and 17." (Both from QQE weekly bulletin for this week.

The transit signal priority at Queen's Quay and Spadina was, in fact, functioning by about 10 PM this evening--the 510 turn phase was only occurring with a streetcar present, otherwise it was just switching between north/south and east/west. The loop had the turn phase happening every cycle, but the complex intersection/multiple turns there mean a couple of other signals are active at the same time so there's really no difference whether or not the streetcar turn signal goes or not.

The electric/automatic track switches, both at spadina and at the loop, were not working though--I am hoping that these will go live on June 16th-17th, the scheduled go-live dates for full transit priority along the entire street. I just hope there's not actually a problem with them and they're merely waiting on the last bit of work...

When I was talking of TSP I meant the green extensions. I knew the transit turnout phases were being called.

One strange thing is that westbound at the loop, straight-through westbound traffic on Queen's Quay, heading towards Spadina, got a red light every other cycle. As in eastbound cars had a green, eastbound AND westbound streetcars and bicycles had greens, all specifically signalled turns had reds, but westbound cars had reds. There was no obvious reason at all for this, and again, westbound and eastbound would both be green correctly one signal, only eastbound not westbound the next, switching back and forth. I guess they might have had an issue and may still need to fine-tune it, but work was scheduled to conclude today on the signals.

This is deliberately programmed in order to keep westbound cars out of the area between the two signals during times when the westbound signal is red at Spadina. What you were interpreting as two cycles is in fact a single cycle, some phases can repeat within the same cycle.

Last edited:
In a recent NA study, Volkswagen drivers had the highest rates of causing collisions. We have been saying for years how the little Golf and Jetta drivers are the worst for taking so many risky and stupid moves in our experience. So no wonder so many VW drivers can't get through the length of QQ without causing something! Slow down. Read signs. Use logic. Or stop driving and let the rest of us get to work on time rather than big delays colliding with a streetcar. The road wasn't just made for you and your own little world.

Can you cite this study? 'We have been saying ...' - who is we?

Not trying to shift blame here, but I see a lot more risky and stupid moves from people showing off the autobahn skills they believe they've acquired by osmosis in purchasing a BMW, or the ones driving shoddily customized Civics.

When I was talking of TSP I meant the green extensions, which operate from a completely different system than the phase insertions for turning phases. I knew the phases would be called by the transit presence loops. But unfortunately without the track switches wired up, the signal will end up calling some unnecessary transit phases because it doesn't know which way the streetcar wants to go.

The issue is that the track switch box is up on a pole on the south side of the street, and the crews can't get to it because the sidewalk below is blocked off for sidewalk construction.

This is deliberately programmed in order to keep westbound cars out of the area between the two signals during times when the westbound signal is red at Spadina. What you were interpreting as two cycles is in fact a single cycle, some phases can repeat within the same cycle. Keep in mind that the two signals (loop and Spadina) are run from the same controller so the loop signal may appear to cycle twice as fast as it actually does.

Ah, I see. I could have been more precise as well, indeed TSP is clearly not fully active, just the turning phase insertions as you said.

And thanks for the clarity on the loop signals! I was actually noticing that they seemed somewhat synced up but apparently spaced out at some point and managed not to notice that detail! Makes sense.

Another accident that just happened at Simcoe:

10151423_105294273143790_223179846682154995_n.jpg

11401563_105294276477123_7748157768004876425_n.jpg

Cab came out pretty banged up compared to the streetcar...

11264813_105295256477025_6344504794796937584_n.jpg

All photos posted by TO City Life on Facebook

Attachments

• 10151423_105294273143790_223179846682154995_n.jpg
    10151423_105294273143790_223179846682154995_n.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 578
  • 11401563_105294276477123_7748157768004876425_n.jpg
    11401563_105294276477123_7748157768004876425_n.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 778
  • 11264813_105295256477025_6344504794796937584_n.jpg
    11264813_105295256477025_6344504794796937584_n.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
2 days after the last one. Incredible. Exact same spot, exact same thing--driver runs a red light to make their left turn and gets hit by a streetcar proceeding legally. Something needs to be done. The cop present at the scene, well after things seemed mostly wrapped up, witnessed a cab stop in the middle of the intersection to let off passengers very dangerously into the ROW and did nothing. How many accidents will it take for enforcement to start?

2 days after the last one. Incredible. Exact same spot, exact same thing--driver runs a red light to make their left turn and gets hit by a streetcar proceeding legally. Something needs to be done. The cop present at the scene, well after things seemed mostly wrapped up, witnessed a cab stop in the middle of the intersection to let off passengers very dangerously into the ROW and did nothing. How many accidents will it take for enforcement to start?

We don't need to do anything other than enforcement - and someone need to lose their license.

AoD

This is getting ridiculous.

We need to start telling the people that have power to do something about this. The police, our city councillors, somebody. What will it take for drivers to wake up, and for the police to crack down on this? A fatality?

Just look at this photo, without your reading glasses:

If you no read English or forgot your eyeglasses, you just see five green lights.

If you forgot your eyeglasses and require them as a condition of your license, you are committing a criminal offense by driving in violation of your license conditions.

If you cannot read English, you actually also see a pictographic sign saying no right turns. At that point, yes, you have very observantly pointed out that there are five green lights, which one would assume means that you can proceed straight in that direction, which is correct.

In the opposite direction in which the pictured accident actually happened, you also see one red light, located in front of the left turn lane. If you see however many green lights and a red light facing you, it does not take a genius to put it together that you cannot turn left. I am reasonably certain that in order to get an Ontario Driver's Licence and a Toronto Taxicab License you must demonstrate a sufficient ability to read simple English like "left turn signal" and understand that you cannot proceed on a red light.

Also, at the end of the day, if you run a red light you are breaking the law. It does not matter if you can read English or not, being ignorant of the law does not mean the law does not apply to you. I don't see why a conversation even needs to be had on this.

HTA offence. Not criminal.

Getting off topic and pedantic here, but ok:

Criminal, adjective: of or relating to a crime.

Offense, noun: a breach of a law or rule; an illegal act.

Crime, noun: an action or omission that constitutes an offense that may be prosecuted by the state and is punishable by law.

Driving only in accordance with the terms of your license is law under the OHTA. Violating your license conditions is an offense which is punishable by law/prosecutable by the Province of Ontario, and is therefore criminal. Ergo, violating your license conditions is a criminal offense.

Driving only in accordance with the terms of your license is law under the OHTA. Violating your license conditions is an offense which is punishable by law/prosecutable by the Province of Ontario, and is therefore criminal. Ergo, violating your license conditions is a criminal offense.
If one wants to be pedantic, there is no such thing in Ontario law as a driving license, or a criminal offense.

Back