Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

So that is what intended for that parking lot. Was beginning to wonder, as it is a rather large site. Are there any sort of renderings for that, as conceptual as they may be?

As far as I know, all that is known about the park is that the parking lot is reserved for one. No renderings — not even conceptual — have been put out. It's likely going to be given a design competition like the one for the ferry terminal.
I think it's low on the priority list for WaterfronTO. The foot of Yonge Street, the ferry terminal and the bridges and remaining wave decks are next as a budget becomes available.

As far as I know, all that is known about the park is that the parking lot is reserved for one. No renderings — not even conceptual — have been put out. It's likely going to be given a design competition like the one for the ferry terminal.
I think it's low on the priority list for WaterfronTO. The foot of Yonge Street, the ferry terminal and the bridges and remaining wave decks are next as a budget becomes available.
When we were doing the EA for this project, we call for building an underground parking structure and a place to store tour buses when they came to the area. The bus idea was drop late into the planning. Can't recall what we talked about for the surface, but no buildings were vision for this area.

With lack of funding, a lot of things plan and approved have been push down the list.

Who gets the revenue for the parking lot? I've always figured it must make a million plus every year.

I did a walk along Queens Quay last night and it was already pretty busy, despite it being a brisk night. Everything looks great!

I noticed car after car after car after car turning onto the ROW though. A lot of people had a good time calling out drivers who were driving onto the ROW. It actually became a spectacle. I stayed and watched someone calling out drivers who were pulling out of the Harbourfront Centre garage and making a right turn directly onto the ROW. It was pretty amusing.

Also saw someone else further down who yelled out "Get off the streetcar tracks you idiot" to an SUV full of people with the windows down. That driver panicked and went through a red light in order to get off the tracks.

There are plenty of signs informing drivers where to drive/not drive, but they don't seem to be placed in the best places. I also noticed that there isn't a line for vehicles to stop behind when exiting the Harbourfront Centre garage, which is likely leading to many of the issues on that side.

This is one of the reasons why the ROW should've been grassed over. People aren't used to driving with a streetcar on their right side. To a driver on the north side of Queens Quay, the paved Martin Goodman Trail looks like an Eastbound lane of traffic. I can see how it can be confusing.

Once things have been cleaned up and the construction fencing and diversion chaos is taken away, things will be a lot more clear to drivers.

What if the streetcar lanes were painted green or something, would that help?

Are there turn lines painted? Or are they hard to make out?

They may have to put in some sort of car trap. It should wake them up, but still allow them to back out of there. Even if the right-of-way should supposed to be used by emergency vehicles, they could put in narrow strips of grass down the middle.
cartrap.jpg
13860_320.jpg

A few pictures from West of Spadina today.

If the initial driver behaviour closer to York street is any indication they are going to have to install some awfully big signs for the eastbound crossover at Yo Yo Ma Lane to convince drivers not to go strait thought the dashed line onto the TTC ROW. I saw two cyclists on the ROW as I passed by today. The second cyclist, pictured below, eventually figured it out and swerved back into the eastbound lane.

IMG_1372.jpg

Looking good approaching Dan Leckie Way.

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

Not sure how well this is going to work. But I guess there's not much they can do until the wave deck is built here.

IMG_1377.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 564
  • IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 566
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 524
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 551
A few pictures from West of Spadina today.

If the initial driver behaviour closer to York street is any indication they are going to have to install some awfully big signs for the eastbound crossover at Yo Yo Ma Lane to convince drivers not to go strait thought the dashed line onto the TTC ROW. I saw two cyclists on the ROW as I passed by today. The second cyclist, pictured below, eventually figured it out and swerved back into the eastbound lane.

Looking good approaching Dan Leckie Way.

Not sure how well this is going to work. But I guess there's not much they can do until the wave deck is built here.
Save me from posting almost the same shots I took, but not on line yet.

Cycles will travel anywhere that will get them to where they want to go in the first place regardless if its legal or illegal.

The road white marker should be yellow crossing TTC tracks.

You can see where the centre markers are to go in the photos for the MGT.

I vaguely recall that the proposal was for a really vibrantly coloured plaza of sorts (can't remember if it was pat of the HtO proposal) I have some major misgivings about the execution of the park, mainly in terms of the quality of the materials used (cast in place concrete, dyed concrete "benches", fading umbrellas, etc). An update using materials along the lines of Sugar Beach would be much welcomed.

AoD

I vaguely recall that the proposal was for a really vibrantly coloured plaza of sorts (can't remember if it was pat of the HtO proposal) I have some major misgivings about the execution of the park, mainly in terms of the quality of the materials used (cast in place concrete, dyed concrete "benches", fading umbrellas, etc). An update using materials along the lines of Sugar Beach would be much welcomed.

AoD

You know (given that my Fort York / Museum of Toronto idea got shot down ;)), this would be another great place for a long, low building for a Museum of Toronto. You could front it with a continuation of HtO south, then have a building that would block the Gardiner but not the SkyDome. Get the right architect (whoever did the Aga Khan's fabulousness?) and it would be a smallish museum that would help cement the South Core / Harbourfront tourist dynamic.

I was told that the Pier 6 building that used to be Second Cup has been taken by BeaverTails pastries.

I was told that the Pier 6 building that used to be Second Cup has been taken by BeaverTails pastries.

Good call on Beavertail's part. They will do amazingly well in that location. Bad call for me though. Intolerant to sugar but can never refuse a Beavertail when I see one.

Back