Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

18264471358_3f140d97cc_b.jpg

(photo credit: Drum118)

So just noticed that between Bay and York there seems to be an additional lane south of the streetcar tracks north of the MGT for cars from Harbour Square to exit onto. It runs the full distance between Bay and York. It's laid with grey bricks not paved with asphalt. It's for vehicles? I can almost see pedestrians mistaking it for an extra wide sidewalk. The one compromise to cars in the entire section? I assume the rest of the way from Bay to Bathurst all vehicle traffic runs north of the streetcar tracks.

Attachments

• 18264471358_3f140d97cc_b.jpg
    18264471358_3f140d97cc_b.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 576
(photo credit: Drum118)

So just noticed that between Bay and York there seems to be an additional lane south of the streetcar tracks north of the MGT for cars from Harbour Square to exit onto. It runs the full distance between Bay and York. It's laid with grey bricks not paved with asphalt. It's for vehicles? I can almost see pedestrians mistaking it for an extra wide sidewalk. The one compromise to cars in the entire section? I assume the rest of the way from Bay to Bathurst all vehicle traffic runs north of the streetcar tracks.

It is for vehicles exiting Harbour Square. Im sure people will be walking on it, especially on busy days. The design will likely ensure that vehicles won't be using this route as a speedway though, so it should be pretty safe.

Oh man, that shot looking straight down MGT is amazing. Going to be great to use it. Really exciting.
I'm looking forward to it as well. Now we just need to add some electrified barbed wire and a moat or two to keep pedestrians off it. There's something about bike paths that just makes people really want to walk 3 across down them.

Updated notice for two-way traffic operations:

Please note the following schedule changes (BOLD):

• Bay Street – signals activated Monday June 1
• York Street - signals activated Tuesday June 2
• Queens Quay Terminal - signals will be activated Thursday June 4
• Lower Simcoe Street - signals will be activated Wednesday June 3
• Robertson Crescent East – signals will be activated Thursday June 4
• Rees/Robertson Crescent West - signals activated Friday June 5
• HTO Park / EMS - signals activated Monday June 8
• Spadina, TTC Loop & Crossover (Yo-Yo Ma) - signals activated Wednesday June 10

By Thursday afternoon (June 4), two-way traffic will be open from Bay to Robertson Crescent – East.

By the end of this week – Friday, June 5, two-way east/west traffic will be open from Rees/Robertson to Bay Street.

So indeed, they had to swap Queen's Quay Terminal and Lower Simcoe. Simcoe was indeed completed yesterday, fortunately Queen's Quay Terminal will be done today, and they've moved Robertson East up to today from tomorrow as well allowing them to also get Rees/Robertson West done before the weekend.

Last edited:
How many years is it likely to take before the trees have grown to the sizes depicted in the rendered videos that were released?

I'm looking forward to it as well. Now we just need to add some electrified barbed wire and a moat or two to keep pedestrians off it. There's something about bike paths that just makes people really want to walk 3 across down them.

Except the Martin Goodman Trail is in fact a multi-use trail, not a bike lane.

This section of the MGT is very clearly marked for bikes because there is a lot of space for pedestrians beside it. In this type of application, it would not function well as multi-use.

Oh man, that shot looking straight down MGT is amazing. Going to be great to use it. Really exciting.

Imagine how great it will look when the double row of trees grow big!

Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 11.54.14 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 11.54.14 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 11.54.14 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 553

Except the Martin Goodman Trail is in fact a multi-use trail, not a bike lane.

This section of the MGT is very clearly marked for bikes because there is a lot of space for pedestrians beside it. In this type of application, it would not function well as multi-use.

Agree with Napoleon and PinkLucy.

We need paintings of a pedestrian with a line through it painted on the MGT through here (and beside the boardwalk sections in the Humber Bay area. In the area past the Boulevard Club where it all comes together again, I'd like to see bicycle and pedestrian symbols painted on the asphalt in appropriate places. The pedestrians need some visual aids for reinforcement!

Agree with Napoleon and PinkLucy.

We need paintings of a pedestrian with a line through it painted on the MGT through here (and beside the boardwalk sections in the Humber Bay area. In the area past the Boulevard Club where it all comes together again, I'd like to see bicycle and pedestrian symbols painted on the asphalt in appropriate places. The pedestrians need some visual aids for reinforcement!

I'd be concerned those would wear away or not be replaced after utility cuts. I'd rather see a sign marking the division between the bike trail and the sidewalk.

h3image004.jpg

Attachments

• h3image004.jpg
    h3image004.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 665
The bike lane markings are in white brick, not paint, so hopefully those will stay visible.

Good idea to have pedestrian areas clearly marked too!

Sure the MGT maybe multi use but the pedestrians will have a wide freaking cobblestone walkway for heaven's sake. They really don't need to be on the asphalt bike path. Whatever happens it's gonna be carnage at the Ferry Docks. Bikes crashing into people.

It was stated during the design stage that it would be 10-20 years to get the full growth overhead coverage, depending on the size and age of the trees at planting time.

There was talk during the design stage of using some sort of bollard between the sidewalk and the MGT with trees being the route to do this now. TTC wanted the same thing for the ROW.

The first year or 3, there will be clashes with everyone until they learn how to use this new thing. Its a learning curve for everything, as its not the street of the past anymore.

Where the paving meets the bricks, there will be large markings on the MGT in blue and white to clue people in, but not between them. You going to find cycles and in-liners outside the MGT path as they will be in a rush to get where they want to go in the first place.

I believe during the design stage, we talked about using a colour pavement to help to keep pedestrians off the MGT, but can't recall what took place for it.

If only we had all the new TTC cars on this line like we supposed to have by now, it would even look better. Then having this on the east side will do wonders for this road and the city from end to end. Now time to find that missing money to do it.

Back