Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

It's probably a bit too many redlights, but at least they are identifying and talking about how to deal with it before it gets built. And yeah, it is a slow news day for sure.

AoD

Sigh. Even the so-called "signal priority" section along Queens Quay still makes the 509/510 cars stop at every single light. I fear this is going to be a big mess.

I don't understand why stop signs or yield signs can't be used instead of streetlights. They are saying these are mainly driveways... not major intersections. Put up signs saying no stopping on tracks and let people cross the tracks when they are ready. To make it even safer, use flashing lights as railway crossings use to warn people exiting the driveways that a streetcar is approaching, not to move forward.

If the traffic lights are for driveways, then streetcar definitely should get priority and the automobile (with their 1.3 people inside) can wait. If the automobile will be carrying the same number of people as the streetcar, I may reverse that.

I think there is some key information missing from the article. They can't just count stoplights and say the streetcar will be slow. Since Queens Quay is the southernmost street, and the tracks are on the south side, many stoplights will not affect streetcar operations, as they are T intersections to the north with two stage pedestrian crossings.

EDIT: And also, streetcars are not affected by the Yonge or Bay stoplights because they are underground in those intersections.

Last edited:
I think there is some key information missing from the article. They can't just count stoplights and say the streetcar will be slow. Since Queens Quay is the southernmost street, and the tracks are on the south side, many stoplights will not affect streetcar operations, as they are T intersections to the north with two stage pedestrian crossings.

Re-read the article. All of the information is there...

"Streetcars will travel both ways on the south side of Queens Quay, car traffic both ways on the north side. But that means signals are needed for every driveway south of Queens Quay so cars can cross the tracks."

Re-read the article. All of the information is there...

"Streetcars will travel both ways on the south side of Queens Quay, car traffic both ways on the north side. But that means signals are needed for every driveway south of Queens Quay so cars can cross the tracks."

My mistake. I was thinking of the part where they said "The 3-kilometre stretch of Queens Quay between Spadina and Parliament Sts. could end up with as many as 20 lights.", without stating how many of these affect streetcar operations.

Last edited:
Toronto probably has the highest number of traffic lights in the world. No other city has such a ridiculous amount of lights. They are inefficient and make everyone wait from pedestrians to transit and cars. They don't need a light for each drive way, no matter how loud the residents on the south side complain. The city needs to look at the road as a minor arterial through this area. The driveways should be combined with major intersections. The other alternative is to make all the north south traffic flow at the same time and make that cycle short. The east west flow should get the majority of the green time and trams getting priority, which means a light should turn green as a tram approaches. Cars should be lowest priority.

Toronto probably has the highest number of traffic lights in the world. No other city has such a ridiculous amount of lights. They are inefficient and make everyone wait from pedestrians to transit and cars. They don't need a light for each drive way, no matter how loud the residents on the south side complain. The city needs to look at the road as a minor arterial through this area. The driveways should be combined with major intersections. The other alternative is to make all the north south traffic flow at the same time and make that cycle short. The east west flow should get the majority of the green time and trams getting priority, which means a light should turn green as a tram approaches. Cars should be lowest priority.

Have you ever been to New York City. Just about every block has a traffic light.

loop%20detector.jpg

Here in Toronto, the traffic lights are supposed to be in sync with the traffic flow. There are detectors in the asphalt which detect and count the automobiles, trucks, buses, and bicycles (if we position the bicycle frame and wheels over the dotes or lines) and tell the computers when to change the lights. However to me, they seem to be in sync for the traffic going in the opposite direction to the direction you want to go.

local_76912.jpg

yes I have been and there lights are needed as the density is many times greater and they have sync'd lights that work, unlike ours which clearly do not!

No I think this needs to be above ground, to act a catalyst to a certain degree - just like I doubt Queen street would have been quite what it was today (maybe a few years a go for some) without the streetcar.

No I think this needs to be above ground, to act a catalyst to a certain degree - just like I doubt Queen street would have been quite what it was today (maybe a few years a go for some) without the streetcar.

And yet the Danforth seems to have been catalyzed just fine with the subway...

Back