Toronto Quartz at Concord CityPlace | 131.97m | 41s | Concord Adex | RAW Design

Vomit. I've got a massive hate for the puny podium--should be min of 6s in Toronto, and red brick!

20110119042238304.jpg
from http://www.jycondo.com/2011/0119/297.html

Clearly designed to be investor friendly, imo will be 88% rentals. Looks like a red canoe in the background, thus clearly @Crappy Place.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. "Email from Concord" was a bit vague, I just curious. I agree with AKS on the location.

Edit: That rendering clearly shows it being the site west of the park at CityPlace.

this building will cast a large shadow on the new park. I wonder why the tower wasn't located away from the park (back of the site) to reduce shadowing.

What bothers me about Cityplace is all the buildings are pretty much the same... They all have the same features and finishes. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. Why no lofts? Why the same kind of architecture (glass). All the buildings seem to be built for the same exact buyer in mind....investors. [/rant]

this building will cast a large shadow on the new park. I wonder why the tower wasn't located away from the park (back of the site) to reduce shadowing.

+1

Shadowing the park is a no-no and I think the city is/will be cracking down on this in general.

This is addressed in the Tall Buildings study with the suggested regulation:
Regulation #15: No new shadows may be cast by any tall building on designated First Tier Parks between 10 AM and 4 PM on September 21st. No new shadows may be cast by any tall building on Second Tier Parks between 12 noon and 2:00 PM on September 21st. Tall buildings will be designed and oriented to minimize shadow impacts on all parks and open spaces at all times of the day.

I don't remember which tier this park fell into.

+1

Shadowing the park is a no-no and I think the city is/will be cracking down on this in general.

This is addressed in the Tall Buildings study with the suggested regulation:
Regulation #15: No new shadows may be cast by any tall building on designated First Tier Parks between 10 AM and 4 PM on September 21st. No new shadows may be cast by any tall building on Second Tier Parks between 12 noon and 2:00 PM on September 21st. Tall buildings will be designed and oriented to minimize shadow impacts on all parks and open spaces at all times of the day.

I don't remember which tier this park fell into.

I doubt that this development falls in that category since Concord Adex built it, i also believe the city of Toronto does not own it yet...almost sure Concord covered all the angles on this one.

I thought the Cityplace Park (forgot its name) has already been conveyed into the City's ownership ??

The park has been city owned ever since it opened.

...and I don't think they bothered to remove graffiti once. It's sad that this park, a rare "designer" park, has to be taken down a few notches because of inattentive maintenance. When I was there in early January, the same fairly big instances of graffiti in black and gold were on the concrete retaining wall near the northwest corner of the park that I saw in July. There was other stuff since then. I think the city is actually responsive if people complain about these occasional lapses. I've seen it in terms of a local park that was undermaintained (to the tune of half a year of absolutely no maintenance after the garbage strike in 2009, not even basics like cutting grass), but these days it's looking normal and clean.

I hope it's not reflective of the people who live at CityPlace, that they mostly don't care and plan to move out after a few years anyway. It's not hard to spend a few minutes calling the friendly people at 311 or emailing parks and rec. I'd do it, but I don't go there often enough to keep track of changes.

Last edited:

Back