Toronto Q Loft | ?m | 8s | Royal Queen | TACT Architecture

3 bedroom units are very much alive and well in the rental housing market (ie. older buildings), and with skyrocketing housing market, condos may be the best way to go for many families who would like to own, but stay in the city.
When there's a demand within the condo market for 3 bedroom+ units, developers will build them. They're often cheaper on a square foot to build, so I have no doubt that with real demand developers would be more than happy to fill that demand.

Great looking building, nice scale at a corner that is less than appealing at the moment. Five years ago it would have been almost inconceivable that this corner could be a residential building of this quality.
We really shouldn't poop on a building because it doesn't have 3 bedroom units that no one would buy...

If it is the corner of Queen and Dufferin then I'm all for it. Get that sorry looking L-shaped strip plaza out of here.
However, when one googles 1205 queen street west, it takes you to Queen, just west of Jameson. So who's incorrect here, google or the proposal/thread?

"Q Lofts" Name for Queen and Dufferin Development

From Urbanation:

"Coming soon to Queen St W & Dufferin St, "Q Loft" by Royal Queen Developments ~ sales by MarketVision Real Estate Corp: http://www.qloft.ca"

I think that these developments are really transforming the area - the whole philosophy behind the previous car dominated strip mall concept never belonged in Parkdale in the first place, not to mention their hideousness.

building_2.jpg

Smart looking building.

When there's a demand within the condo market for 3 bedroom+ units, developers will build them. They're often cheaper on a square foot to build, so I have no doubt that with real demand developers would be more than happy to fill that demand.

Advertising creates demand and if you build it they will come. I know many people who would buy if the amenities (schools and daycares) were there.

I's too bad everyone is stuck on the 3+ bedrooms -most condos downtown barely have 2 rooms and i agree that it's more than possible to raise a family in a smaller space ( I myself grew up in a 64sq m apartment in europe which was pretty standard). It's the amenities that are not being built into communities that are pushing a diverse population away.

Developers claim there is no market demand for three bedroom units. The thing is that such units typically sell after the building is built, so there is a pent-up demand. Such suites just don't sell all that well off paper.

Loving it. Every parking lot and awful strip mall in Toronto should be replaced with a building like this.

"Loving it. Every parking lot and awful strip mall in Toronto should be replaced with a building like this."

Absolutely true. OF course it won't happen, but I will simply hope all the strip malls in Parkdale get redeveloped soon, not to mention on College and Dundas. The "Avenues" are key, and any extra concrete mutes its effect.

Developers claim there is no market demand for three bedroom units. The thing is that such units typically sell after the building is built, so there is a pent-up demand. Such suites just don't sell all that well off paper.

The way they build condos is not focused on tapping the demand for family housing. The focus is building along arterials with high land values, requiring a lot of units to be built. They package these buildings with amenities of limited appeal to families who would be interested in these larger units. To tap the demand for three bedroom units and family housing, the developers could consider conceptualizing a new kind of building more aimed at people who need larger units.

Market research might reveal that families would consider a condo more aimed at their lifestyle and concerns. Average people looking to raise a family in a condo might want it to be low to midrise to make it convenient those many times a week when they come home with groceries and so that they can be more familiar with the people living around them, for a greater feeling of safety with younger children. Naturally, it would make sense to build such buildings near schools on side streets, for lower cost and convenience. It would also be a marketing feature. To keep construction and subsequent maintenance costs low, it would be built with minimal amenities.

Perhaps no change is necessary. The prototypical family condo I've described addresses concerns which aren't necessarily concrete, but which might make it difficult for ordinary people to even imagine raising a family in a condo by choice. But it might take a specific type of building to get the ball rolling. We've been talking about the lack of three bedroom units in multi-unit buildings since the 1970s, and not much has apparently changed in the demand. It may be more of a supply issue in terms of how the units are being marketed and to whom.

Back