Toronto Portland Commons | 71.7m | 15s | Carttera | Sweeny &Co

Interesting... it's even got this extremely Sweenyesque overhang on the courtyard side:
517_wellington_overhang.jpg

This is definitely the classic Sweeny formula: float some new build office (with lots of curtain wall) over a heritage building with some bravura structural engineering. Not that that's a bad thing.

Attachments

• 517_wellington_overhang.jpg
    517_wellington_overhang.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,079
FYI the parcel does not include any of the little houses along Draper Street, thankfully.

Front west is pretty ugly and nondescript, with exception of where Draper intersects which is a pleasant reprieve. Even a row of trees hiding the rail yards would help along that stretch.

This is called "Portland Commons" on the architectural plans, btw

The plans also do not match those renders.. it is a much simpler building in the plans.

FYI the parcel does not include any of the little houses along Draper Street, thankfully.
Even if it did, they would not be touched. Fun (though slightly off-topic) fact: The Well's parcel does include one of the Draper Street houses:
the_well_draper_property.png

Attachments

• the_well_draper_property.png
    the_well_draper_property.png
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,084
Love the design. I particularly like the articulation of the south facade. This will be viewed from quite a distance over the rail corridor, or ultimately the rail deck park.

This is called "Portland Commons" on the architectural plans, btw

The plans also do not match those renders.. it is a much simpler building in the plans.

Yikes, you're right. In particular, the whole the south facade looks like a blank curtain wall...
517well.PNG

Attachments

• 517well.PNG
    517well.PNG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,028
Interesting design. Those cute little houses on Draper Street are going to be entombed between this and the Well though. Wonder how much sun that street will get in 10 years.

I don't believe I've ever walked along this stretch ever...maybe I will in the future. As it stands now this is a quite desolate stretch and has always been rather forgotten it seems.
Indeed. I said recently in The Well thread, but I am more excited about the development in this super-bloc than anything else going on in the city as I believe I will end up being in this space a lot.

The homes on Draper Street are beautiful. I wonder about their future. Could they become a restaurant / home-office sort of strip in the future in the same manner as Markham Street used to be prior to the Honest Ed's construction?

If so, I would seriously consider fully pedestrianizing Draper Street, or turning it into a woonerf. No need for through-traffic cutting between Wellington and Front on it.

Back