News   Apr 25, 2024
 192     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 425     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

Toronto might be watching Ottawa to see how they reform the police and go from there.
Does anyone else get the sense that "Police Reformation" is a similar thing to "Defund the Police"?
Just a stupid slogan that will only make things worse in the long run if actually acted upon.
It's just a phrase to get the media to go away so that police can do what's right.

Does anyone else get the sense that "Police Reformation" is a similar thing to "Defund the Police"?
Just a stupid slogan that will only make things worse in the long run if actually acted upon.
It's just a phrase to get the media to go away so that police can do what's right.

This is the debate in Ottawa some group want to defund the police by 50-70% they want the money given to groups like BLM then we have the reform police groups that want massive changes with the current police budget.

Here's the report to the Toronto Police Services Board, Aug 18th mtg.

80 odd recommendations.

Several are a bit fuzzy (looking at non-police alternatives for certain calls still doesn't have a timeline, budget or preferred model; though they appear to be heading the right direction)

The MCIT recommendation is good though.

It recommends expansion City-Wide, 24/7 as soon as feasible and to be funded from within the existing police budget.

Non police mean mental health experts going and not police.

Toronto constable who assaulted Dafonte Miller sentenced to 9 months in jail

Nov 5, 2020

A Toronto police officer convicted of beating a young Black man while off-duty has been sentenced to nine months in jail.

Const. Michael Theriault was found guilty of assault for a 2016 attack on Dafonte Miller that caused him to lose an eye. Theriault was sentenced on Thursday.

Ontario Superior Court Justice Joseph Di Luca said Theriault will also be placed on probation for 12 months and banned from possessing or using restricted weapons for five years.

Di Luca said "nothing short of a jail sentence" would suffice in this case.

Toronto constable who assaulted Dafonte Miller sentenced to 9 months in jail

Nov 5, 2020

A Toronto police officer convicted of beating a young Black man while off-duty has been sentenced to nine months in jail.

Const. Michael Theriault was found guilty of assault for a 2016 attack on Dafonte Miller that caused him to lose an eye. Theriault was sentenced on Thursday.

I wish people who post stories like these would post THE ENTIRE STORY instead of just the headline which makes it sound like a cop randomly beat a young black man for no apparent reason. Whether you believe the officer went overboard or not in beating Miller, why not at least post the whole story so that people know the circumstances and can be better informed of this incident and what exactly happened?

If some random person who knew nothing about this story was simply reading the headline, they would likely be left with the impression of yet another black person being assaulted and harmed by police for being black. Heck even the link you posted just had ONE SENTENCE as to what led up to Miller getting beat up and spent the rest of the article painting him as an innocent victim.

How about posting more facts about the incident to fill in the entire story like here:

“It’s called car-hopping,” Goode, 23, told Crown Attorney Peter Scrutton. “You just go into people’s cars and whatever’s valuable, you take.”

They were seeking out unlocked vehicles. “You don’t smash out the windows or anything like that.” Looking for phones, money, anything worth scooping.

So if you want to say the cop went far overboard in assaulting Miller and should be punished that's fine, but lets not gloss over Miller's actions and everything that led up to that assault just because it doesn't fit the narrative of 'innocent black people being mistreated by police'. Also its really disheartening to me these days that the media is so much more concerned about pushing narratives than they are of simply reporting the news and the facts.

I mean its not like we've never had that before, but in recent years its gotten so much worse that most times I have to go online and do my own research to find out the whole story. Heck even reddit is so much better at reporting the facts than MSM is these days when they blow up stories that fit the agenda they're pushing and then go radio silent when a story doesn't fit that same agenda/narrative and sadly its been far too effective in brainwashing people now.

I wish people who post stories like these would post THE ENTIRE STORY instead of just the headline which makes it sound like a cop randomly beat a young black man for no apparent reason. Whether you believe the officer went overboard or not in beating Miller, why not at least post the whole story so that people know the circumstances and can be better informed of this incident and what exactly happened?

If some random person who knew nothing about this story was simply reading the headline, they would likely be left with the impression of yet another black person being assaulted and harmed by police for being black. Heck even the link you posted just had ONE SENTENCE as to what led up to Miller getting beat up and spent the rest of the article painting him as an innocent victim.

How about posting more facts about the incident to fill in the entire story like here:

So if you want to say the cop went far overboard in assaulting Miller and should be punished that's fine, but lets not gloss over Miller's actions and everything that led up to that assault just because it doesn't fit the narrative of 'innocent black people being mistreated by police'. Also its really disheartening to me these days that the media is so much more concerned about pushing narratives than they are of simply reporting the news and the facts.

I mean its not like we've never had that before, but in recent years its gotten so much worse that most times I have to go online and do my own research to find out the whole story. Heck even reddit is so much better at reporting the facts than MSM is these days when they blow up stories that fit the agenda they're pushing and then go radio silent when a story doesn't fit that same agenda/narrative and sadly its been far too effective in brainwashing people now.

It's called forum etiquette. Article posting is typically kept to intros or snippets to key beginning quotes and link to the story to not clog up threads of publicized text. It's common sense that you click on the link to find out more. You can even just post the link if people wanted to. But hey, by all means rage on.

It's called forum etiquette. Article posting is typically kept to intros or snippets to key beginning quotes and link to the story to not clog up threads of publicized text. It's common sense that you click on the link to find out more. You can even just post the link if people wanted to. But hey, by all means rage on.

Keeping things short and concise is fine, but it shouldn't be at the complete expense of accuracy and leaving out important facts and context to the story. I don't think anyone would mind if there was an extra paragraphy briefly describing the incident so that people have a more complete picture of the story. And also in the link you provided all I found was this:

The defence presented a different account, saying the Theriault brothers wanted to arrest Miller after allegedly catching him and his friends stealing from the family truck.

That's literally THE ONLY SENTENCE IN THE ENTIRE ARTICLE that mentions any of the events leading up to the beating of Miller. The rest of the article talks about how racist the cops were, how incidents like these damages the trusts between black people and the police and how Miller was such an innocent victim in all this. They couldn't even be bothered to mention that Miller and his buddies were rummaging through vehicles looking for valuables that night and anyone who clicked on that biased CBC article isn't going to learn anything about the incident and what actually happened because these days asking the media to report on the facts of a case is asking too much apparently.

Like I said, MSM is biased as hell now and they're more concerned about pushing narratives than they are of reporting stories accurately and truthfully. On many stories like these, they'd rather leave out important information than risk being called racist or bigoted.

As an another example, did you know that several weeks ago that a man was arrested for running around in Scarborough yelling racial slurs and assaulting random people over several months? He did this several times including yelling racials slurs at a woman with her child before assaulting her and in another incident hurling racial slurs at a man and spitting on him before knocking the turbin off his head.

Did you hear about this story? I sure as heck didn't from MSM and I only knew about it when I read it in the Toronto subreddit. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY such random, disgusting hate crimes like these didn't receive national coverage and days of talk from the media about how 'we need to have that hard conversation on racism and hate and intolerance in Canada' with regards to this story? I just can't put my finger on it, can you? :rolleyes: Now imagine if the suspect in these attacks happened to be cauasian and see if the media wouldn't have a radically different reaction in how they would've covered these hate crimes?

As I said its sad to see how differently the media chooses to report stories like these depending on the race/ethnicity of the suspect and victims and how well it fits the narrative they're pushing. They USED to be a little more fair and balanced, but now that's completely gone and anyone who cares about finding out the truth needs to do their own research these days.

The media pushes the cut police budget saying this will help end racism but very few will cover or talk about what if will happen if groups get there way.

Keeping things short and concise is fine, but it shouldn't be at the complete expense of accuracy and leaving out important facts and context to the story. I don't think anyone would mind if there was an extra paragraphy briefly describing the incident so that people have a more complete picture of the story. And also in the link you provided all I found was this:

That's literally THE ONLY SENTENCE IN THE ENTIRE ARTICLE that mentions any of the events leading up to the beating of Miller. The rest of the article talks about how racist the cops were, how incidents like these damages the trusts between black people and the police and how Miller was such an innocent victim in all this. They couldn't even be bothered to mention that Miller and his buddies were rummaging through vehicles looking for valuables that night and anyone who clicked on that biased CBC article isn't going to learn anything about the incident and what actually happened because these days asking the media to report on the facts of a case is asking too much apparently.

Like I said, MSM is biased as hell now and they're more concerned about pushing narratives than they are of reporting stories accurately and truthfully. On many stories like these, they'd rather leave out important information than risk being called racist or bigoted.

As an another example, did you know that several weeks ago that a man was arrested for running around in Scarborough yelling racial slurs and assaulting random people over several months? He did this several times including yelling racials slurs at a woman with her child before assaulting her and in another incident hurling racial slurs at a man and spitting on him before knocking the turbin off his head.

Did you hear about this story? I sure as heck didn't from MSM and I only knew about it when I read it in the Toronto subreddit. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY such random, disgusting hate crimes like these didn't receive national coverage and days of talk from the media about how 'we need to have that hard conversation on racism and hate and intolerance in Canada' with regards to this story? I just can't put my finger on it, can you? :rolleyes: Now imagine if the suspect in these attacks happened to be cauasian and see if the media wouldn't have a radically different reaction in how they would've covered these hate crimes?

As I said its sad to see how differently the media chooses to report stories like these depending on the race/ethnicity of the suspect and victims and how well it fits the narrative they're pushing. They USED to be a little more fair and balanced, but now that's completely gone and anyone who cares about finding out the truth needs to do their own research these days.

Look, the article was posted as a definitive mention of what happened with the court sentencing last week. It's not my job to go back in history and post article from the past few years. If people want to look elsewhere and do their own research, then go for it. I'm not your mother. And frankly, if you're here to write a long winded rant to instill a narrative of something I didn't even say, then I have no interest or time for this.

Look, the article was posted as a definitive mention of what happened with the court sentencing last week. It's not my job to go back in history and post article from the past few years. If people want to look elsewhere and do their own research, then go for it. I'm not your mother. And frankly, if you're here to write a long winded rant to instill a narrative of something I didn't even say, then I have no interest or time for this.

That's my point. Posting one part of a story without mentioning the rest of it to give more context and info is wrong and gives people the incorrect perception on what actually happened and it often leads to the public believing a problem is much larger and worse than it actually is. Don't you think simply posting that an officer was sentenced to jail for beating a young black male without mentioning anything else is promoting the idea that cops are constantly mistreating black people and in particular black males when that's often not the case?

Plenty of people are already constantly looking for stories like these to get angry over and to push their narratives and the last thing we need is for people to get angry over incidents without even knowing the full story. Its like some individuals and the media want to purposely pour gas on a blazing inferno to cause even more discourse than we currently have. If people and the media did their jobs and reported all the facts, they would be calming people down in many cases rather than getting them riled up and angry by leaving out important info that might completely change the perception of an incident.

That's my point. Posting one part of a story without mentioning the rest of it to give more context and info is wrong and gives people the incorrect perception on what actually happened and it often leads to the public believing a problem is much larger and worse than it actually is. Don't you think simply posting that an officer was sentenced to jail for beating a young black male without mentioning anything else is promoting the idea that cops are constantly mistreating black people and in particular black males when that's often not the case?

Plenty of people are already constantly looking for stories like these to get angry over and to push their narratives and the last thing we need is for people to get angry over incidents without even knowing the full story. Its like some individuals and the media want to purposely pour gas on a blazing inferno to cause even more discourse than we currently have. If people and the media did their jobs and reported all the facts, they would be calming people down in many cases rather than getting them riled up and angry by leaving out important info that might completely change the perception of an incident.

This summer when Ontario closed the parks there was a case in Ottawa where a black man got a ticket for refusing to leave the media ran the head line black man arrested for sitting in park this was far from the truth.

So you expect a single poster in an online discussion forum to be a definitive news source. This particular story has been in and out of the news, mainstream and otherwise, for four years. If the topic piques your interest but you feel you are missing details, the Internet is your friend.

Of course, the beloved social media, supposedly the democratic alternative to the untrustworthy Big Media, always puts things in context and provides full background.

If you feel information is wanting, perhaps start an online media service rather than slag a member providing a free cut-and-paste service to forum members.

So you expect a single poster in an online discussion forum to be a definitive news source. This particular story has been in and out of the news, mainstream and otherwise, for four years. If the topic piques your interest but you feel you are missing details, the Internet is your friend.

Is it really that much to ask for anyone who posts an article to simply add a few lines on the facts of the story and especially so on such a controversial topic that can easily be mistook by people and create unnecessary anger and perceptions?

Do you not think that in this day and age in the social and political climate that we live in where stories like these could easily spiral out of control needlessly that we all shouldn't be more careful and be as accurate as possible on what we post? Look at the Regis Korchinski-Paquet case where the baseless claim that police pushed her off the balcony blew up into a national story immediately and even though it was quickly disproven, the family never apologised and plenty of people believed that the police killed her and the damage was done.

That's the kind of thing that we should be AVOIDING at all costs so why is it so tough to add a few lines of the facts of a story so that people will have at least the basic info of the case and if they like they can read more about it. Does it really take that much more effort to do that and avoid any misunderstandings and confusion?

Of course, the beloved social media, supposedly the democratic alternative to the untrustworthy Big Media, always puts things in context and provides full background.

Yes I'd say these days MSM is more untrustworthy now than I can ever remember in the past where these days they care so much more about pushing narratives and brainwashing people to believe certain things than they are of doing their job and simply reporting the facts of the story. Social media and the internet has plenty of faults and issues, but at least if you're willing to do a little research into a story you can usually find most of the facts that the media often purposely chooses not report or only barely does depending on who the perpetrators and victims are.

Is it really that much to ask for anyone who posts an article to simply add a few lines on the facts of the story and especially so on such a controversial topic that can easily be mistook by people and create unnecessary anger and perceptions?

Do you not think that in this day and age in the social and political climate that we live in where stories like these could easily spiral out of control needlessly that we all shouldn't be more careful and be as accurate as possible on what we post? Look at the Regis Korchinski-Paquet case where the baseless claim that police pushed her off the balcony blew up into a national story immediately and even though it was quickly disproven, the family never apologised and plenty of people believed that the police killed her and the damage was done.

That's the kind of thing that we should be AVOIDING at all costs so why is it so tough to add a few lines of the facts of a story so that people will have at least the basic info of the case and if they like they can read more about it. Does it really take that much more effort to do that and avoid any misunderstandings and confusion?

Yes I'd say these days MSM is more untrustworthy now than I can ever remember in the past where these days they care so much more about pushing narratives and brainwashing people to believe certain things than they are of doing their job and simply reporting the facts of the story. Social media and the internet has plenty of faults and issues, but at least if you're willing to do a little research into a story you can usually find most of the facts that the media often purposely chooses not report or only barely does depending on who the perpetrators and victims are.

I believe in being polite; and considerate in posting, even with those with whom I disagree.

With as much restraint as I can muster; you need to be called out for being a troll.

Your posts are largely confined to three threads.

Threads in which you regularly engage in victim-blaming; often wander up to, if not across several lines of fair public comment; and do so while being aggressive with and rude to other posters.

Simply put, the problem is you.

Back