Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

If there's one part of the city that can handle transportation its this one.

I'm not so sure. Have you tried getting into Union Station at 8am? Have you tried driving around this area at 8am? Have you tried cycling down this area at any time?

If we had wonderful pedestrian infrastructure around the site to facilitate walking to the financial district then maybe, but at the moment you can barely cross the street and the overall realm is very unpleasant.

Maybe a path extension should be mandated for this development. Connect under the tracks to backstage.. And as many have stated before, union station is in the process of doubling its capacity to over 350,000 people a day. 4 or 5 thousand from this development will fit into that 175,000 new "slots" perfectly fine.

Pinnacle is free to apply whenever they like, applying after the study comes out, and abiding by its stipulations, will increase their chance of approval.

A thinly veiled threat to Pinnacle. Lets hope this report is worth the wait and contains actual policies that will create a vibrant and livable downtown neighborhood. My fear is it will contain none of that and just be some garbage consisting of arbitrary height and density limits because someone at city hall is terrified of soopertalls.

Maybe a path extension should be mandated for this development. Connect under the tracks to backstage.. And as many have stated before, union station is in the process of doubling its capacity to over 350,000 people a day. 4 or 5 thousand from this development will fit into that 175,000 new "slots" perfectly fine.

how is Union station's capacity have anything to do with how many people live at 1 Yonge st?
Most of Union's riders are from the Go train/bus. I doubt 1 Yonge residents will exert any significant strain on the subway during rush hours. People living in Brampton or Vaughan have more do with with union station's capacity than 1 Yonge residents.

it was a direct responce to RC8's comment about how Union station wouldn't be able to address capacity issues of this development.

I'm not so sure. Have you tried getting into Union Station at 8am? Have you tried driving around this area at 8am? Have you tried cycling down this area at any time?

If we had wonderful pedestrian infrastructure around the site to facilitate walking to the financial district then maybe, but at the moment you can barely cross the street and the overall realm is very unpleasant.

I used to live next to union station and, when heading north in the morning, walking was faster and more pleasant than queuing up for the TTC.

We are going to increase the capacity of the subway platform, but we are also going to increase the capacity of the trains and bring more people to fill it up.

All I'm saying is, looking at the current state of affairs, it isn't obvious to me that this location will be good for transportation.

saying this isn't good for transportation is like saying putting a condo beside the 401 will make it difficult to get around. the 401 sits congested for 6 hours a day, but nobody claims it is not a bad spot to build because it doesn't serve transportation well.

regardless of where you build in this city, there is congestion. I think if you build anywhere it should be beside a facility that has just doubled its capacity (even if new services are coming in)

what would you propose to fix this "problem"? we have the PATH which takes stress of off the streets, and are in the process of doubling the capacity of the congested transit station. I don't see what else could be done short of a direct PATH extension to ensure this development is well connected to its surroundings.

Whenever they do submit an official proposal, all forum members should show up at the public meeting. Don't let these folks offer the the only feedback!

pam_yqna.jpg

yqna_party_at_ulla_s_lhd4.jpg

ROFL.

If there was a more stereotypical image of a group of old, "get off my lawn!" type people, it's these. The YQNA makes me so angry. I hate them. Busy bodies, all. If they lived in the suburbs, it would be these same assholes who'd be trying to ban kids playing ball hockey on quiet side streets.

If they lived in the suburbs, it would be these same assholes who'd be trying to ban kids playing ball hockey on quiet side streets.

If you want hard NIMBYism, forget these neighbourhood groups in downtown, you should check out the burbs instead - conformity and sensitivity towards "the other" is a whole different level. It wouldn't be the assholes who are trying to ban kids playing ball hockey - it would be assholes who cry bloody murder about adding one extra bus an hour on the basis that it presents a "risk to children" in a subdivision full of speeding car drivers.

AoD

Last edited:
ROFL.

If there was a more stereotypical image of a group of old, "get off my lawn!" type people, it's these. The YQNA makes me so angry. I hate them. Busy bodies, all. If they lived in the suburbs, it would be these same assholes who'd be trying to ban kids playing ball hockey on quiet side streets.

Well said - and look closely at these pictures and you will notice two of the biggest frauds in local politics seated in the centre of each group. God help us is Chow is ever elected Mayor of Toronto. If Chow becomes Mayor you can expect to see a lot of developments like this snuffed out. This is the moron who pledged to kill the Island Airport which today pumps $2 Billion a year into the Toronto economy and provides 1700 direct and 4000 indirect jobs all inside Toronto city limits! Hopefully by the time the next election rolls around - should Chow chose to challenge Ford the sympathy vote that she currently enjoy's will have completely diminished.

Last edited:
If Chow becomes Mayor you can expect to see a lot of developments like this snuffed out.

Sounds like fear-mongering to me. She'd likely do a lot of good things to improve residential development in this city including the inclusion of affordable housing in a city that most of us find increasingly unaffordable for just about anyone. Improving and altering our approach to development isn't the same thing as "snuffing out" development.

Sounds like fear-mongering to me. She'd likely do a lot of good things to improve residential development in this city including the inclusion of affordable housing in a city that most of us find increasingly unaffordable for just about anyone. Improving and altering our approach to development isn't the same thing as "snuffing out" development.

+1000, spire don't pay attention to that kind of silliness. One, the election platforms haven't been made clear, let alone who will be running. Two, this unsustainable pace of development has landed us with a lot of forgettable crap to put it mildly and most of it has a short life span before it needs massive correction; windows being a big concern. I love tall and really really tall buildings, but not at any cost. There are some things that need to come before blockbusting, development beyond borders type of thinking. You would think some people think real cities are designed on sim city and its no more complex than that. As you said improving regulaton to insist that builders/developers build to higher quality standards and include some units at FMR once in a while would only do positives in creating an inclusive, more harmonious community. Maybe if the buildings were designed to a higher quality level with noise proofing windows, the older people on these community boards wouldn't be woken up by planes from the island airports and wouldn't have as much to complain about...hell, they might not even know there was an island airport! :p (sarcasm intended for last line)

Also, chow wouldn't have to do much to be doing more than ford has done. She would just have to do a tiny bit more than nothing at all.

Back