Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

The new Simcoe off-ramp itself was not dealt with, but everything east of it was re: Harbour Street-post-ramp-removal, with most of the attention being paid to plantings on either side of the street, and a two-way bike path on the south side of the street. This is the QQ Martin Goodman Trail bypass that a lot of cyclists are looking for.

Given how Harbour Street will link up the proposed parks at the York Ramp and LCBO lands (with the visual axis perhaps even through EBF to Sherbourne Park at some point), it is *imperative* that they are considered as one coherent landscape unit. There is potential to expand the public realm and create a truly spectacular space.

CC+A would be perfect for the job, given their experience with the Well - and yes, a big (no, make it huge) classical fountain would be amazing.

AoD

Last edited:
Thanks i42! It does look awfully messy (drop the balconies please, it killed the aesthetics utterly) - and the podium is weak and lack interest, especially compared to the original proposal.

It should stay as a work in progress as currently presented. I am sure the WT DRP will have a field day with it, especially considering their ask.

Agreed, I find it a bit messy and weak. I was hoping for something a little more pronounced - particularly considering that absolute massiveness of this proposal. I dunno, perhaps something on a scale of engaging prominence like First Canadian, Scotia Plaza, or what I hope The One on Bloor West will become.

Looks as though, in the first rendering posted a few pages back, they might just paint the Star building white. I guess they had a peek down at the other end of Queen's Quay and liked what they saw.

We in Toronto have an"embarrassment of riches". Only a city that has as many buildings going up as we do would dare the crap on this project like some of the comments I've read here.

Personally I think this latest rendering looks fantastic. It's very creative, very original and daring while leaving a large area available for what will be a dynamic plaza eventually. Well done and what a fantastic addition to Toronto's waterfront!

We in Toronto have an"embarrassment of riches". Only a city that has as many buildings going up as we do would dare the crap on this project like some of the comments I've read here.

Personally I think this latest rendering looks fantastic. It's very creative, very original and daring while leaving a large area available for what will be a dynamic plaza eventually. Well done and what a fantastic addition to Toronto's waterfront!

Not trying to sound facetious, but perhaps you or someone else can give a quick (100wds or less) Architecture 101 rundown of why this proposal is 'original, daring, and dynamic'. Twenty years ago when my 10-year-old self was fascinated by tall buildings I would've been drooling over this project. But now, aside from its height/density, I don't see much in the way of daring. Granted, I'm nowhere near the architecture aficionado I'd like to be. So perhaps if someone describes the merits you could use more basic terminology. But right now, to me, it looks kinda...boring (except the park, which looks fantastic). Where's the colour, or boldness, or prominence?

Is the Church St. underpass part of the meeting as wellL?

It was part of the first presentation, the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan. It was fist described as something like "blue sky 50 year plan", then later as "not before 15 or 20 years" by the report's authors. A couple of DRP members said that it should be top-of-the-list of local upgrades. Others felt it wasn't likely because of the presumed cost.

any word on the updated floor count?

North side: 95 for the tallest tower, 80 for the second tallest, 65 for the third tallest. South side: This was considered too unresolved for anyone to really bother looking at in detail, just saying "keep working on it", but it was presented as a single, stepped building of shifting volumes of about 30, 18, and 13 storeys.

Don't get too hung up on the number of floors yet though, things are still somewhat fluid here.

A bit of wishful thinking for a park to be built on the LCBO lands, and I think a lot of the visual appeal that they're proposing here would be lost without it.

Right then....the best part of this proposal is the imaginary park on an adjacent property (that appears to have a functioning version of the Four Seasons fountain).

Right, it will look more like a glass box by the time the field day is over:rolleyes:

As if it isn't a series of glass boxes stacked atop on another now. Can't help you if can't see past the wrapping.

Agreed, I find it a bit messy and weak. I was hoping for something a little more pronounced - particularly considering that absolute massiveness of this proposal. I dunno, perhaps something on a scale of engaging prominence like First Canadian, Scotia Plaza, or what I hope The One on Bloor West will become.

Not necessarily in said styles - but certainly in that's the spirit one should apply to this site. Let loose and show me something truly spectacular instead of rehashing the tried and true and asking for an inordinate amount of density at the same time.

AoD

For what it's worth, I think this proposal is good, but not great. Lest you think I'm being picky, have a look at some of the buildings being planned and built in Vancouver right now.

1133_1.jpg

Trump Vancouver, Arthur Erickson

Beach-+-Howe1.png

Vancouver House, BIG

vancouver-4.jpg

1550 Alberni, Kengo Kuma

1500-west-georgia-ole-scheeren-27.jpg

1500 West Georgia, Ole Scheeren

Granted, the economics are a bit different there, but I don't think it's out of line to demand world-class architecture for this site. Is the current design really in the same class as the designs above?

Back