Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

My point is to address hypocrisy.

I have spent time (not frequently) volunteering at homeless shelters for men, in part because few people care about them compared to children and refugees etc. But I'll be honest, I don't want them boarding in my condo. So where do you draw the line? I gladly pay taxes towards social causes. And I enjoy a diverse neighborhood. But I dont need to take all this home with me. A friend in Regent Park (nice building) complains one of the residents insists on urinating in greenery by the doorway. Community housing comes with more social problems, undeniably.

My building has a toxic share of narcissistic, vain, pretentious, arch-conservatives. But at least they don't interfere with me.

Right, because of course all people who wind up in the below-market units in this building are going to be strung-out alcoholics who smell like piss and are just waiting to assault the upstanding citizens who have "worked hard enough" to be able to afford a market unit.

JFC.

Also, not for nothing, but depending on the cutoff of "affordable" housing, some of the applicants for such units are in some cases fresh-out-of-school Master's students starting their first job or entering a second career. But lazy prejudices die hard, I guess.

Some of the applicants are fresh-out-of-school Master's students (your definition of model citizens) and some as you say, are alcoholic troublemakers. In any case, wait until you place a downpayment for a condo as it tends to put one's virtue-signaling to the test. :)

I'm sure the moderators are about to censure our healthy debate.

Some of the applicants are fresh-out-of-school Master's students (your definition of model citizens) and some as you say, are alcoholic troublemakers. In any case, wait until you place a downpayment for a condo as it tends to put one's virtue-signaling to the test. :)

Yup, there are zero alcoholic troublemakers in multi-million dollar condos at King and Portland, so you nailed yet another categorization.

I point out this type of bullshit whenever I see it because your every response is fairly nicely illustrative of how insidious it continues to be.

Ah, a reference to virtue-signalling. The moment you realize you're debating someone who can't imagine actually caring about others and believes that everyone else just fakes it to look good.

Also, to address your point, why do alcoholics deserve to be on the streets? As ADRM said, plenty of alcoholics live in fancy condos. Worth adding that many of them tear up the King West strip every week, puking their guts out and causing fights. Do they deserve to be homeless? No? Because they're wealthy right?

And, for the dollars and cents crowd, you guys do realize that housing someone in social housing is far cheaper than the alternative - institutionalization, medical expenses from ODing/alcohol abuse, extra policing to clear the streets (because god forbid the yuppies gentrifying the inner city see the results of their actions...) etc. And it is even cheaper if we include social housing in private developments. I'm not as huge a fan of the concept as some are (I think it's a good idea but it's not a panacea - especially if we're going to isolate those in social housing with poor doors and no access to the amenities in the condo, might as well just build a separate building on site if that's the case) but it's better than any alternative you've offered.

Ah, a reference tovirtue-signalling..

I'll help you out there. "Virtue signalling" is taking visible positions to earn social status without actually sacrificing anything in the process. Examples - people who start their own personal cancer charities but want my donations, kids who want to 'go to Africa' to help out poor people but need my sponsorship (to basically see the world, burnish their resume, and build their own 'leadership' skills...) et cetera. I have no doubt - no doubt - I do more anonymously than 3/4ers of the virtual signallers here. By all means, buy your next condo in a building filled with community housing, I will applaud you in that case. But talk is cheap.

I'll help you out there. "Virtue signalling" is taking visible positions to earn social status without actually sacrificing anything in the process. Examples - people who start their own personal cancer charities but want my donations, kids who want to 'go to Africa' to help out poor people but need my sponsorship (to basically see the world, burnish their resume, and build their own 'leadership' skills...) et cetera. I have no doubt - no doubt - I do more anonymously than 3/4ers of the virtual signallers here. By all means, buy your next condo in a building filled with community housing, I will applaud you in that case. But talk is cheap.

Wait, so it's virtue signalling to buy a condo in a building with social housing attached but it's not virtue signalling to brag on the internet about volunteering at a shelter to try and prove you don't dislike poor people when you associate them automatically with being drunks and criminals? You sure have a convenient definition of virtue signalling.

Wait, so it's virtue signalling to buy a condo in a building with social housing attached but it's not virtue signalling to brag on the internet about volunteering at a shelter to try and prove you don't dislike poor people when you associate them automatically with being drunks and criminals? You sure have a convenient definition of virtue signalling.

Buying a condo in a building with social housing is NOT virtue signalling since it's doing instead of talking.
The point of my story, is I'm admitting my limitations. I am simply saying I do not want a ton of social housing in my condo building - I'm freely admitting it - although I'm fine with it next door. Im guessing most people here (in reality) would act the same way when it came time to purchase.

Do you own a condo in a building with social housing? Or is this a hypothetical issue?

Before I have a nice sound, guiltless sleep, I will admit to being slightly provocative.
I had simply observed someone's reasonable question whether a community housing component could dampen sales had been shouted down with "Shame!...SHAME...withdraw your comment!....there should be MORE social housing etc..." I thought it was a bit much.
Which it was :)

Before I have a nice sound, guiltless sleep, I will admit to being slightly provocative.
I had simply observed someone's reasonable question whether a community housing component could dampen sales had been shouted down with "Shame!...SHAME...withdraw your comment!....there should be MORE social housing etc..." I thought it was a bit much.
Which it was :)
It was not much. If a person doesn't want to buy a condo having 'poor' neighbors, it's their prerogative. Throwing a blanket opinion for ALL purchasers is inappropriate. There should be more social housing by the way.

Now you are making blanket statements. Again, the original question was whether this would dampen demand, not eliminate it. You're making straw man arguments.

everyone's entitled to their opinions. i guess you just have to agree to disagree and move on.

back to the building itself... anyone knows when phase 1 is actually going to sell?

The sales will start in the coming weeks for the phase 1.
The official name for the first building will be Prestige at One Yonge
The project was featured yesterday at TalkCondo on Youtube.

I have another great news guys !
i spoke with a person who work at Pinnacle and he told me that marketing for
phase 2 can start in a not so far future. So a probable marketing for phase 2
is possible for spring 2018, but it's not a certainty.It's can be later too.
We are not that far to see another supertall goes up.
I think that phase 1 will sell very quickly.
2018 will be an interesting year to watch .

Last edited:
The sales will start in the coming weeks for the phase 1.
The official name for the first building will be Prestige at One Yonge
The project was featured yesterday at TalkCondo on Youtube.

I have another great news guys !
i spoke with a person who work at Pinnacle and he told me that marketing for
phase 2 can start as soon as phase 1 is well sold. So if phase 1 sell quickly,we could see
the future tallest building in Canada become a reality. So a probable marketing for phase 2
is very probable at the beginning of spring 2018 or earlier.
We are not that far to see another supertall go up.
I think that phase 1 will sell very quickly.

that ultimately depends on the selling price ;)

Back