Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Though said complex might just as well be the best argument *against*, uh, non-all-glass buildings...

The Toronto Star building has long been symbolic of the (old) east waterfront, feeling uninviting and disconnected from the city. With an address of such prestige (One Yonge Street) and being a gateway into the new East Bayfront, I believe a redevelopment should definitely benefit the surrounding evolving area.

The whole 2 blocks from Yonge to York Street needs a new rethink, especially with the redevelopment of Queen's Quay. Why spend all that money and not address the terrible design of the buildings along the street. If Toronto can successfully change that 2 block stretch, that would be a huge win for our waterfront. One Yonge could easily build a new podium with retail and restaurants, to animate that corner. I'll be happy when the Harbour Castle Convention Centre is redeveloped too. That building is a street killer.

Agreed - plus the public/quasi-public space around Harbour Square/Westin - Eastern edge of York Quay, Harbour Square Park, Ferry Terminal, Yonge slip.

AoD

^^ YES, all those are in need of change but the Ferry Terminal needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt. It ruins the fun of going to the islands and I refuse to wait in lineups there, which means I never go to the islands on a weekend. There is so much that can be improved down there, it's just begging for a rethink. I wonder how long we'll have to wait?

The Toronto Star building has long been symbolic of the (old) east waterfront, feeling uninviting and disconnected from the city.

Well, for forty years - until Corus Quay opened - it was disconnected from all other office buildings, because no others had been built down there. As with those other pioneering ventures located just to the west of it and south of the Quay ( the hotel, and Harbour Square condos ) it represents an age long before the harbour became the attraction it is today.

I'll be happy when the Harbour Castle Convention Centre is redeveloped too. That building is a street killer.

I'm puzzled by why it *hasn't* been redeveloped yet: the whole premise of the place, let alone its urban presence, screams anachronism...

Sold for $255M to Pinnacle? Saw it on twitter...apparently Cityzen was also interested? Damn wish it was them instead.

WHAAA so a quarter billion for a parking lot??????? I sure hope they talked to the city planners before spending all that...

Back