Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

For one a neighborhood is a theoretical construct. And seeing as their wasent much of one before, their vision for the lakefront is then justified. Kinda. I mean one could still argue that being the case to at the least use better materials and more modern designs.

What does 'reflect the neighbourhood' mean? What is 'design to match the area'?
Well I guess im refering to the historic buildings. A good example are the condos that have been built around the distillery district, I am shocked that they did not try and design and use materials that would match the district. Same goes for the Berczy Park area with the Victorian architecture and the esplanade, this entire area down to the distillery could have and should have been designed way better with the older style architecture, to maintain that old style.

Well I guess im refering to the historic buildings. A good example are the condos that have been built around the distillery district, I am shocked that they did not try and design and use materials that would match the district. Same goes for the Berczy Park area with the Victorian architecture and the esplanade, this entire area down to the distillery could have and should have been designed way better with the older style architecture, to maintain that old style.
The new condos in the Distillery District were indeed designed with brick bases to match their surroundings. Are you suggesting that they should instead have been designed with fake Victorian facades that have no real connection to history?
I much prefer modern interpretations to fake Disneyland facades, which tell a visitor more about the area's history than lying with faux heritage would. We don't have the skilled masons and other trades in the modern era that would allow such buildings to be done today, and precast brick slabs from a factory are never going to give you a true heritage look.

I like historical references and reverence of the past, but not every old building has meaning or value. I kind of like new and old together if complementary, a growth of the new over and out of the past is an interesting metaphor. But contrasts too are interesting. I think architectural criticism is always present. No one likes everything, it’d be a sad world if they did. There needs to be some wild to measure the mundane. And yet today’s wild become mundane in the future.

I believe the building portion of city building is a model of renewing the bad and retaining the good. One King West, Five on Yonge and King Blue Condominiums are good examples of where significant heritage portions of a site have been saved and /or rebuilt while site density has been dramatically increased meeting the developers, the city and its residences needs. Toronto's success is thankfully making downtown parking lots a thing of the past however the downside is as land becomes scare developers are increasingly encroaching on buildings of architectural significance. The real question going forward is how can the city regulate and enforce something as subjective as overall architectural build quality before issuing a building permit?

We don't have the skilled masons and other trades in the modern era that would allow such buildings to be done today,
If we do, devs would probably have to pay an arm, a leg and their first born to acquire them. As I am also sure, they may have advanced novel/high tech ways to craft their stuff more effectively without cheapening...but it would likely come with a hefty price tag.

Today

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

This isn't the 95 storey tower is it? I took one look and immediately became concerned with it collapsing at that height with how it's being built.

Any news on when the nicer and sleeker towers will start construction?

This isn't the 95 storey tower is it? I took one look and immediately became concerned with it collapsing at that height with how it's being built.
If you take a look at the box on the top of page called Pinnacle One Yonge. Will give all the info you need to know about this development. The first phase 65 storey tower with the huge multi-use podium is being built now. And the second phase is the hole being excavated to the west which will be the 95 storey condo and hotel tower . Followed by the 80 storey third final phase to the north to be built after the 95 storey structure.

The real question going forward is how can the city regulate and enforce something as subjective as overall architectural build quality before issuing a building permit?
It can't… it hasn't been given that power. If it were to be given the power by the province to regulate architectural build quality, how would you write the legislation/code, and whom would you entrust to interpret and enforce it?

Any news on when the nicer and sleeker towers will start construction?
Why would you be concerned that it would collapse? There is nothing wrong with the way it's being built, all building are designed to take the required loads that they are designed for.

Back