Toronto Pinnacle on Adelaide | 144.47m | 46s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I'll take a competently designed, handsomely proportioned, well constructed - if a little unimaginative - box over the sloppy 'hey-look-at-me' nonsense next door any day.

Think of it as a Dieter Rams 'as-little-design-as-possible' tower.

How about the fact that it looks like every other grey, glass box in the city? The materials may be better than average but the design isn't.

I don't share this concern, every period has a dominant look. So while a huge number of building currently under construction might be similar, in terms of Toronto's accumulated inventory it isn't excessive. In 50 years people will point to about 50-75 such building as examples of this period.

Soon we'll be seeing another style emerge: M+G, Oxford, 1 yonge Street, Monde, and Donlands as examples.

Those five projects strike as being of four or five different styles, not an example of one.

It's not so much the grey materials, but how they are used. The fact that this turned out so much better than its western neighbour speaks to that, in my opinion. I think this building is well-executed and a nice addition to the area.

I'll take a competently designed, handsomely proportioned, well constructed - if a little unimaginative - box over the sloppy 'hey-look-at-me' nonsense next door any day.

Think of it as a Dieter Rams 'as-little-design-as-possible' tower.

I think of it as vanilla, a very good vanilla.

Actually, banal tend to be a phrase best applied to poorly designed, tedious works - e.g. what goes on at Liberty Village. This project is hardly it.

AoD

I'm not say poorly designed or tedious - however that may apply - I just think it's a boring tall yawn. It's not an address people would boast about, it's just... there -just another inconsequential apartment building that most people won't look twice at.

I'm not say poorly designed or tedious - however that may apply - I just think it's a boring tall yawn. It's not an address people would boast about, it's just... there -just another inconsequential apartment building that most people won't look twice at.

Nothing wrong with that - better than telling everyone you live at Flintstone Tower. This is good in the way Hudson, Charlie is good.

AoD

Nothing wrong with that - better than telling everyone you live at Flintstone Tower. This is good in the way Hudson, Charlie is good.

AoD

That's not saying much, though. Yes. It isn't a complete disaster, but it is a giant snooze. The bar should be set a little higher.

That's not saying much, though. Yes. It isn't a complete disaster, but it is a giant snooze. The bar should be set a little higher.

Actually nope - it wasn't a building that stands out, these are filler buildings and I think competence is sufficient. Better that than overreach and crash/burn.

AoD

I tend to agree. There's nothing particularly bad about this building but there's nothing particularly great about it either - but that's okay. That's what filler is. Every skyline needs fillers otherwise, you end up with something like Dubai which is a tacky, Disney like city on steroids where every building wants to be the beauty queen but ends up looking like Honey Boo Boo.

VCQxyPS.jpg

Back